PDA

View Full Version : Dexter (spoilers likely)

Pages : 1 [2]

Hal-9000
12-11-2012, 12:23 AM
Hopefully LaGuerta is wrapped in plastic on the table :shifty:

Lambchop
12-11-2012, 12:43 AM
The thing that made me suspicious was when Deb said ''the drug has a short half-life.'' It's like she researched into it and realised she would have to take the drug while in the car for it to take effect while still driving.

Hal-9000
12-11-2012, 02:21 AM
The thing that made me suspicious was when Deb said ''the drug has a short half-life.'' It's like she researched into it and realised she would have to take the drug while in the car for it to take effect while still driving.

I agree. And as Lance mentioned....it's hard not to notice ground up pill sediment in water.

Hal-9000
12-12-2012, 06:22 PM
We haven't addressed something that happened recently....Vince Masuka is back!

He seemed to be in the background for the entire season until - C'mon Dex, tell me about your dirty text from Hannah. Gotta replenish the old spank bank you know :lol:

and

My Mom thought I was retarded when I was 15 :|

:lol:

Hal-9000
12-12-2012, 06:23 PM
and Deb's recent comments...

Fillet O Fuck Dexter!

Teh One Who Knocks
12-12-2012, 06:37 PM
We haven't addressed something that happened recently....Vince Masuka is back!

He seemed to be in the background for the entire season until - C'mon Dex, tell me about your dirty text from Hannah. Gotta replenish the old spank bank you know :lol:

and

My Mom thought I was retarded when I was 15 :|

And he was all dressed up trying to get the Secret Santa going :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Okay, let's say for a minute that Deb did poison herself...isn't she taking a huge risk by doing that because Dex is bound to find out and then he already turned Hannah in with damning evidence in a murder....I think he will be pissed all the way around. :-k

Hal-9000
12-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Okay, let's say for a minute that Deb did poison herself...isn't she taking a huge risk by doing that because Dex is bound to find out and then he already turned Hannah in with damning evidence in a murder....I think he will be pissed all the way around. :-k

I think there's something there.....remember when DDK smacked Travis in the head with the shovel, yet Travis had no marks on his face? We commented on how the writers to could make an oversight like that, then it was explained.

If Hannah did do the water bottle, it sure looked like a sloppy job

Hal-9000
12-12-2012, 06:45 PM
and yes Dexter will be pissed no matter how it came about :x

Hal-9000
12-12-2012, 06:47 PM
I did like one thing though...as soon as Dex suspected Hannah doing it, he took Deb's side and broke off with Hannah. That's loyalty considering Hannah is his dream partner.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-12-2012, 06:48 PM
The more I think about it, the more I can't buy the fact that there was THAT much medication in the form of ground up pills in the water where Deb wouldn't taste it. Plus, that also means the seal would have most likely been broken on the bottle of water.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-12-2012, 06:48 PM
I did like one thing though...as soon as Dex suspected Hannah doing it, he took Deb's side and broke off with Hannah. That's loyalty considering Hannah is his dream partner.

Yup, that was a bit surprising IMO

Hal-9000
12-12-2012, 06:59 PM
The more I think about it, the more I can't buy the fact that there was THAT much medication in the form of ground up pills in the water where Deb wouldn't taste it. Plus, that also means the seal would have most likely been broken on the bottle of water.

yep..too many inconsistencies with the whole process...I guess the writers could have really blew it, but I feel that Deb had to stage the whole thing.

Lambchop
12-16-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm excited for tonight's episode. Should be intense.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-17-2012, 11:29 AM
LaGuerta's dead :dance2: LaGuerta's dead :dance2: LaGuerta's dead :dance2:

The finale was both wonderful and full of plot holes at the same time...kind of have mixed feelings about the whole thing.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-17-2012, 04:46 PM
I loved the scene between Hannah and Deb at the courthouse when Hannah was calling her out for arresting her but letting Dex do whatever he wants.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Here's one thing that bothered me about the finale...in the final and penultimate scene with Dex, LaGuerta, and Deb, why did Deb shoot LaGuerta? Why didn't she just leave and let Dex do his thing? And then immediately after she shoots and kills LaGuerta, she runs over and wraps her arms around LaGuerta like she's sorry she did it. Then why did she do it in the first place? Is it all because of the veiled thread that LaGuerta leveled at Deb about knowing she was involved somehow in the arson at the church and that she knew Deb was somehow covering for Dexter? :confused:

Yt Trash
12-18-2012, 01:07 AM
Hannah escapes? So she'll be back next season.:tup:

Hal-9000
12-18-2012, 02:50 PM
LaGuerta's dead :dance2: LaGuerta's dead :dance2: LaGuerta's dead :dance2:

The finale was both wonderful and full of plot holes at the same time...kind of have mixed feelings about the whole thing.

Is she?

:shifty:

Hal-9000
12-18-2012, 02:53 PM
I loved the scene between Hannah and Deb at the courthouse when Hannah was calling her out for arresting her but letting Dex do whatever he wants.

I loved the scenes with Hannah and Dexter...for an ex model I think shes does a great job.They love each other but it's still a fencing match of paranoia.

Another thing I liked was they reveled that she drugged Deb's water bottle within the first two lines of the show. I guess that's part of Hannah's poisoner mystique, they never show her doing it.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Is she?

:shifty:

Yes :slap:

Hal-9000
12-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Here's one thing that bothered me about the finale...in the final and penultimate scene with Dex, LaGuerta, and Deb, why did Deb shoot LaGuerta? Why didn't she just leave and let Dex do his thing? And then immediately after she shoots and kills LaGuerta, she runs over and wraps her arms around LaGuerta like she's sorry she did it. Then why did she do it in the first place? Is it all because of the veiled thread that LaGuerta leveled at Deb about knowing she was involved somehow in the arson at the church and that she knew Deb was somehow covering for Dexter? :confused:

I think the scene was awesome...for most of it Deb was pointing the gun at Dexter and I knew she was going to cap LaGuerta's fat ass :dance:

Survival? Her love for Dexter? The shock of being implicated in serial murders when she's devoted her life to living right and catching criminals?
I think she was in shock and her primal instinct kicked in to save her brother no matter what the cost..

Teh One Who Knocks
12-18-2012, 02:57 PM
I loved the scenes with Hannah and Dexter...for an ex model I think shes does a great job.They love each other but it's still a fencing match of paranoia.

Another thing I liked was they reveled that she drugged Deb's water bottle within the first two lines of the show. I guess that's part of Hannah's poisoner mystique, they never show her doing it.

Yep, caught that as soon as she admitted it...but that brings into question one of the plot holes I mentioned. It made much more sense that Deb poisoned herself to try and frame Hannah, because for Hannah to have had time to figure out that Deb was on psych meds, break into her house, find the pills, grind them up and add them to a water bottle that Deb would grab the exact time she is leaving AND to not have Deb notice that the water was 40% pills and not taste it is just way the fuck out there.

Hal-9000
12-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Hannah escapes? So she'll be back next season.:tup:

When she left Dexter the flowers I chuckled..."I'm still here biatch so your sister will never be safe Muah hahhahahha!" the card on the flowers said... :lol:

Hal-9000
12-18-2012, 03:20 PM
I wished they would have showed Dexter taking LaGuerta on the plastic-bag night time boat ride.....I need closure in these sort of things :lol:

Deb helping pitch body parts over the side with strains of 'Love Will Keep Us Together' playing softly in the background

Teh One Who Knocks
12-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I am sure they will have to address that next season....they had to have disposed of the bodies somewhere? Or maybe they just sealed up the container for now so they could both make it to Bautista's party before anyone got too suspicious?

Teh One Who Knocks
12-18-2012, 03:24 PM
I think the scene was awesome...for most of it Deb was pointing the gun at Dexter and I knew she was going to cap LaGuerta's fat ass :dance:

Survival? Her love for Dexter? The shock of being implicated in serial murders when she's devoted her life to living right and catching criminals?
I think she was in shock and her primal instinct kicked in to save her brother no matter what the cost..

Yeah, I dunno...not sold on that yet :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
08-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Dexter - I kind of get it now..

Okay then, if you're talking about the whole Hannah thing, then please explain it to me :confused:

Hal-9000
08-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Okay then, if you're talking about the whole Hannah thing, then please explain it to me :confused:

I think.....she wanted to put Dexter in a bad spot so he could kill Miles for her. She sort of alluded to that and said she changed her mind....

The one thing I hate is the constant scenes about Dexter having emotions for Deb and Harrison. In fact the whole storyline about him being a good father bothers me. Not saying serial killers can't care about people, more about how Dexter was a way more efficient killer when he had no family encumbrances. I guess the Trinity storyline led up to this, because Dex was wondering how Trinity could have a family as well as a secret life.

Unless some main people die...the season will become a trainwreck IMO

Hal-9000
08-16-2013, 05:47 PM
I really think that the series peaked when Dex walked in on Rita in the bath....it was truly a WTF moment that shocked and really made me want to watch the next season with Trinity...

Teh One Who Knocks
08-19-2013, 12:48 PM
MUCH better episode this week....although it started off fairly slow, but the last half hour was worth it. :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
08-19-2013, 01:42 PM
and soooo.....when Dex, Hannah and Zach were all in the car I saw that coming a mile away...dysfunctional family or what :lol:

even all of them having dinner with Dr Frankenstein I assumed - this is going to get sappy...

and did I understand that correctly? Zack was killed by the doctor and she took the piece of his brain?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Zach was killed by The Brain Surgeon and left in Dexter's apartment.

Hal-9000
08-19-2013, 01:50 PM
I thought they caught the alleged brain surgeon....and why was Dr Vogel holding up a severed part of a brain in a jar the moment Dexter discovered Zach?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-19-2013, 01:53 PM
They thought they caught the Brain Surgeon, but obviously they were wrong. Vogel was holding up the piece of Zach's brain while she was on the phone, presumably with Dexter. I would assume he called her right after discovering Zach and she looked outside and found the Jar O'Brain outside her door like the rest of the times.

And that's why I don't think that Vogel is the Brain Surgeon, because when the first murders were happening, they showed her discovering the package on her front doorstep and being all surprised it was there...with no one to see her being surprised/shocked. Why would she put on a fake showing if there was no one there to witness it?

Hal-9000
08-19-2013, 01:58 PM
I'm going to go back to our original call and say that Doc Vogel is slicing up the serial killer's brains and putting on a big ruse...

and Hannah will take her out...

Teh One Who Knocks
08-19-2013, 02:06 PM
They showed Vogel on the phone while she was holding up the piece of Zach's brain. Plus, like I said, she acted all surprised to find the other package of brain(s) on her front steps when she was alone, why would she act surprised if there was no one there to have to try and fool?

Also, is it too obvious that it was Quinn that tried to frame Zach by killing Dex's neighbor Cassie?

And what was the 'event' that Vogel wouldn't go into details about when Hannah asked her what got her interested in serial killers? :-k

Hal-9000
08-19-2013, 02:13 PM
The 'event' is going to support my theory :thumbsup:

she's bent :lol:

just like the DDK, it's delusional....

Teh One Who Knocks
08-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Sad to say that as soon as they showed that the Brain Surgeon was Dr Vogel's son, I saw them reuniting coming from a mile away. :|

Hal-9000
08-26-2013, 01:51 PM
*builds ramp in water...*

Her whole backstory about having two sons...one of whom was a killer and just happened to take her brain samples and give them back as gift at her door......

:rolleyes: and she didn't think to mention this to Dexter when the exact same thing starts 20 years later?

Hal-9000
08-26-2013, 01:52 PM
hopefully Deb and Hannah will bury the hatchet, drink some wine and start having a lesbo affair :)

Teh One Who Knocks
08-26-2013, 01:54 PM
*builds ramp in water...*

Her whole backstory about having two sons...one of whom was a killer and just happened to take her brain samples and give them back as gift at her door......

:rolleyes: and she didn't think to mention this to Dexter when the exact same thing starts 20 years later?

No kidding......Oops, did I fail to mention that to you? :shock:

:|

It's sad to see a great show end this way :(

Teh One Who Knocks
08-26-2013, 01:55 PM
hopefully Deb and Hannah will bury the hatchet, drink some wine and start having a lesbo affair :)

They are talking about a spin-off from Dexter, I'm thinking that show will be for Deb. As for the other major characters, I think either Dex or Hannah (possibly both) will end up being killed by the end of the season.

Hal-9000
08-26-2013, 01:58 PM
No kidding......Oops, did I fail to mention that to you? :shock:

:|

It's sad to see a great show end this way :(

Couldn't agree more. They have an extra-long season, they know it's the last one and still they introduce plot ideas like they're throwing darts at a storyboard...

I watched Dexter and Breaking Bad back to back and comparing the two....one seemed like a Syfy movie while the other was Gone With the Wind :lol:

Hal-9000
08-26-2013, 01:59 PM
They are talking about a spin-off from Dexter, I'm thinking that show will be for Deb. As for the other major characters, I think either Dex or Hannah (possibly both) will end up being killed by the end of the season.

If they kill Dexter, I hope they at least find out EVERY detail of his past...

Teh One Who Knocks
08-26-2013, 02:00 PM
If they kill Dexter, I hope they at least find out EVERY detail of his past...

Yeah, but I could see them getting around that by having Deb be the one that kills him....maybe to protect Harrison from finding out his father was a serial killer?

Hal-9000
08-26-2013, 02:14 PM
that would be a good move if they go forward with another show

Teh One Who Knocks
08-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Well, if the rumors are true about a spin-off, I can't imagine who else would be the focus besides Deb. Quinn? Bautista? No way they could carry a show as the central character.

Hal-9000
08-26-2013, 10:36 PM
I would like to see them really take a chance and have Deb reinstated as a detective, Dexter has to break the law in some way to save Hannah, and Deb has to kill him...

that would be a good set up for her if she's the star of the spinoff..

Hal-9000
08-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Depressed Detective Deb - Sundays on HBO

Teh One Who Knocks
09-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Slow build this past episode for a scene of awesome...having Vogel's son kill her (Vogel) like that in front of Dex was a great scene. Too bad most of tyher rest of the episode was a snoozefest. Still too much extraneous stuff going on. :wha:

And the whole believability is basically out the door I guess for the writers. They keep making a point to let us know just how WANTED Hannah is and that there are several people looking for her, yet when Harrison cuts himself and she has to take him to the ER, she can't throw on a baseball cap or something? :-s

Two episodes left now, they really better bring it home or this once great series is gonna die a very horrible and undeserving death.

Hal-9000
09-09-2013, 05:32 PM
I was laughing during some parts....if the show gets anymore touchy-feely about Dexter's emotions he may as well be a guest on The View next week...

Deb reinstated as a homicide detective harboring two serial killers from the law...
Dexter leaving everything because he's in love...
Any action Hannah commits as a fugitive...ffs even having Harrison running around and talking to anyone, the word Hannah could come out of his mouth at anytime...
Dex not being in a killroom for awhile and recognizing the last time he made a room like that was about 2 seasons ago :lol:

I thought the son killing Vogel was overdue, rather than good...

I understand it's supposed to be about a conflicted serial killer, but his interest in saving Vogel seemed saccharine and forced like - Hey let's make Dexter a loving father, a caring husband and an adoring son-like figure to a mysterious woman he just met.

not buying any of it

Hal-9000
09-09-2013, 06:19 PM
another thing...Deb and Dex have a heartfelt conversation about him leaving....wasn't it just like 4 episodes ago she tried to drown him in a car crash? :lol:

Deb's life would improve 100% if Dex and Hannah left the country. No more lying, covering for serial killers...

in fact, only one thing IMO could save this show. Deb hooks up with the new bounty hunter guy and in the final episode instead of wishing Hannah and Dex well on the boat dock, they snap the cuffs on both of them, last shot of the series is Dex sitting in a maximum security cell for life :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-09-2013, 06:23 PM
To be quite honest, with just 2 episodes left, I have no freaking idea where they are going with this thing, and that's really sad. This show was so good and even with it's weaker seasons it was still better than most TV shows on the air. And now, with it's final season, the writers had a chance to send Dexter out with a bang...and instead we get this mess. :|

I mean seriously, who cares if Masuka's daughter shows up to the crime scene stoned??? What the hell does that have to do with anything at all??

Hal-9000
09-09-2013, 06:37 PM
it really seems to be trying to get the 'family' message across using different aspects...

next we'll met Quinn's mom :|

PorkChopSandwiches
09-09-2013, 07:49 PM
How many times can they see "we need to talk", "can we talk" or some variation in one episode, it was to the point of irritating.

Hal-9000
09-09-2013, 08:05 PM
how about this.....Deb rats out Dex, he goes to prison for 47 consecutive life sentences....everyone is bummed, Dexter is over.

new series about Deb trying to catch killers will feature her canvassing Dex in prison for tips on how to catch the other killers..a la Silence of the Lambs...

PorkChopSandwiches
09-09-2013, 08:22 PM
How about they finally break the sexual tension and he has a 3-some with Deb and his murderer GF

Hal-9000
09-09-2013, 08:32 PM
I thought with the beer, the music and the mood lighting it was gonna happen this week :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-09-2013, 08:47 PM
I thought for a second :lol:

Hal-9000
09-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Harrison....go play!

Teh One Who Knocks
09-16-2013, 10:38 AM
A decent episode, but still a bit on the slow side. And still plenty of problems with it with plot holes and stupidity unfortunately.

One episode left, hopefully it goes out with a bang and not a whimper.

I did think that Dexter was going to kill Vogel's son last night, didn't expect him to get away....until a US Freaking Marshal lets a guy go who's face is all over the news and has a manhunt with law enforcement in progress, yet this marshal didn't recognize him :facepalm:

Hal-9000
09-16-2013, 01:47 PM
:lol: I didn't like it

Teh One Who Knocks
09-16-2013, 01:53 PM
I guess the whole thing will come down to....who's going to die?

Will it be Dexter or the Brain Surgeon because I doubt they will both be standing after the series finale next week.

My guess? I'm going to say that the Brain Surgeon kills Dexter and that will be how the spinoff with Deb will start, she will be on the hunt for the man that killed her brother.

And as for some of the stupidity from the last episode....Hannah gets ID'd at the hospital because she doesn't try and hide her appearance at all, so what does she do when she goes to check into a hotel? Doesn't change her appearance at all :|

Hal-9000
09-16-2013, 01:57 PM
don't forget Hannah gave Deb's address :doh: the place where she's a fugitive in hiding :lol:

I think Dex will get 99 consecutive life sentences so they can bring him back to consult from time to time..

Teh One Who Knocks
09-16-2013, 06:13 PM
I did like the part where Hannah was making dinner and Deb walked and and watched her for a minute and told Hannah that she should go on one of those cooking shows on TV, cuz she would win....and Hannah tells her, "I'd make sure of it"

Hal-9000
09-16-2013, 06:45 PM

yeah they heard the door and got distracted but it looked like Deb was going to crack a smile

Teh One Who Knocks
09-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Seeing the rather large-ish pool of blood Deb was lying in makes me wonder if she's gonna die and the spinoff will involve someone else :-k

Hal-9000
09-16-2013, 07:52 PM
it feels so forced...she gets shot but manages to get a shot off at doh-head and wing him.....

all because Dex 'needs' to kill him before he leaves....If Dex would have left that night, him, Hannah and Harrison would be sipping Margarita's right now..

Teh One Who Knocks
09-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Well, quick react to the episode - best episode of the season by far, why couldn't they have all been like this for the final season of a once great show? Definitely not without it's faults however.

I'll give my full thoughts a bit later.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Well, I guess the whole spin-off series with Deb was just a red herring :lol:

TBH, I never saw Deb dying coming at all. Maybe at the end of the previous episode when she was lying in a pool of blood I thought maybe she was going to die, but then during the finale and she was fine after recovering from surgery, I thought she was going to be fine, especially because of the spin-off red herring in the back of my mind.

The flashbacks of Deb and Dexter when they were meeting Harrison in the nursery for the first time were in a word, awesome (IMHO). It was sad to see Deb praise Dex so much about how she knew he would be a great dad because he was such a great big brother because he always took care of and protected her. And to see her become Dex's final 'victim' was very powerful because you saw him own up to the fact the she died because of him when he dumped her body in the ocean, just like all his other countless victims.

I liked the showdown between Dex and The Brain Surgeon in the holding cell. I thought that was great, especially since there was no voice over and no ghost Harry basically telling you what was going to happen next. The scene actually held some suspense, which was lacking a lot this season unfortunately. And the scene afterwards with Quinn and Batista going over the footage with Dex was good too, with Quinn giving Dex the nod and Quinn stating "it was self defense obviously". I think that's the show's way of saying that Quinn may not know that Dex is the serial killer that has been disposing of bad guys all over Miami, but he knows that Dex isn't the meek guy he portrayed himself to be. Does that make sense?

Not sure how I feel about the ending though. I would have actually been happier if it would have ended when it faded to black after we saw Hannah get the news that Dex's boat was wrecked in the hurricane and that there were no survivors. I didn't like that it came back showing Dex as a solitary lumberjack up in the Pacific Northwest somewhere. That ending left way too many plot holes open with the biggest being, it sure looked like Dex went quite far away from shore heading straight into that hurricane...how on earth did he make it back to shore to be able to flee? :confused:

But, I guess with all things being equal and this series having glaring plot holes quite regularly, it 'worked' in the minds of the writers even though I found that ending rather unsatisfying.

It was definitely the best episode of Dexter (IMO) that we have seen in a few years and as a whole, they did do it some justice after the mess of a season this had turned out to be.

Probably more thoughts to come as it still sinks in more and more.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-23-2013, 01:48 PM
“For so long all I wanted was to feel like other people … now that I do just want it to stop.” Great line in the show by Dex during a voice over part.

Hal-9000
09-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Well, I guess the whole spin-off series with Deb was just a red herring :lol:

TBH, I never saw Deb dying coming at all. Maybe at the end of the previous episode when she was lying in a pool of blood I thought maybe she was going to die, but then during the finale and she was fine after recovering from surgery, I thought she was going to be fine, especially because of the spin-off red herring in the back of my mind.

The flashbacks of Deb and Dexter when they were meeting Harrison in the nursery for the first time were in a word, awesome (IMHO). It was sad to see Deb praise Dex so much about how she knew he would be a great dad because he was such a great big brother because he always took care of and protected her. And to see her become Dex's final 'victim' was very powerful because you saw him own up to the fact the she died because of him when he dumped her body in the ocean, just like all his other countless victims.

I liked the showdown between Dex and The Brain Surgeon in the holding cell. I thought that was great, especially since there was no voice over and no ghost Harry basically telling you what was going to happen next. The scene actually held some suspense, which was lacking a lot this season unfortunately. And the scene afterwards with Quinn and Batista going over the footage with Dex was good too, with Quinn giving Dex the nod and Quinn stating "it was self defense obviously". I think that's the show's way of saying that Quinn may not know that Dex is the serial killer that has been disposing of bad guys all over Miami, but he knows that Dex isn't the meek guy he portrayed himself to be. Does that make sense?

Not sure how I feel about the ending though. I would have actually been happier if it would have ended when it faded to black after we saw Hannah get the news that Dex's boat was wrecked in the hurricane and that there were no survivors. I didn't like that it came back showing Dex as a solitary lumberjack up in the Pacific Northwest somewhere. That ending left way too many plot holes open with the biggest being, it sure looked like Dex went quite far away from shore heading straight into that hurricane...how on earth did he make it back to shore to be able to flee? :confused:

But, I guess with all things being equal and this series having glaring plot holes quite regularly, it 'worked' in the minds of the writers even though I found that ending rather unsatisfying.

It was definitely the best episode of Dexter (IMO) that we have seen in a few years and as a whole, they did do it some justice after the mess of a season this had turned out to be.

Probably more thoughts to come as it still sinks in more and more.

I couldn't disagree more :lol:

Loved the nursery flashback scene as well....Deb dying was brave but sure seemed like an afterthought....him and the brain surgeon and the pen in the holding cell (while being videotaped) was ludicrous IMO....didn't like the Brain Surgeon in the first place, he came out of nowhere and I never got the sense he was dangerous, intelligent or even a half assed foe for Dexter...

and yes, the brooding lumberjack after the boat sailed into the hurricane actually made me lol...

IMO the series hit it's peak with the Trinity season and the death of Rita (I am rarely that shocked watching a TV series)...and everything that followed seemed unimportant or a half measure...

Deb dying was brave and sad, but I feel they could have handled it differently, rather than the result of some guy escaping and taking a pot shot at her with a gun....maybe if she would have died in the Brain Surgeon's chair and been filmed (for Dex to see) it would resonated more with me...

I've never read the books but I have read that the past couple of seasons are completely different than the overall narrative in the books. I do understand the main idea is that while Dexter is a serial killer, he also achieves humanity through his personal life. But after Rita died his relationships with her two kids and Harrison felt forced and not real....he was always walking in and patting them on the heads, never spending any significant amount of time with any of them.

I guess the writers left it open ended for the inevitable Dexter movie or future series....that was something I did like.