PDA

View Full Version : CBS Defends New TV Shows Starring White Males

Teh One Who Knocks
05-19-2016, 12:08 PM
By Michael Allen - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/GP8YSG1.jpg

CBS came under fire last week when it announced six new TV shows for the fall, which all star white male actors.

Some of the tweets on Twitter included:

"Wow, @CBS, are you sure you've got enough white men tv shows for the Fall? Maybe add a couple more for those underrepresented dudes. #fail."

"Man CBS tv shows have 99% white casts. There are more non-white people on their nfl halftime show than in their entire prime time lineup."

When the network announced its full lineup on May 18 to the media, there were questions about the new all-white male shows, notes Entertainment Weekly.

CBS Entertainment president Glenn Geller replied:

We are the network that has "Madam Secretary" and "Two Broke Girls" and "Mom"– we have lots of female leads, we have a great balance. Actually our new series are more diverse this year than last year.

When "Doubt" premieres, I’m happy to say it’s the first broadcast series to feature a transgender series regular played by a transgender actor. I think that’s phenomenal. We are definitely moving in the right direction.
"Doubt" is mid-season legal drama that stars Katherine Heigl and Laverne Cox (transgender actor).

Entertainment Weekly notes that CBS' new white TV shows include: "Bull" starring Michael Weatherly, a new version of "MacGyver" with Lucas Till and George Eads, "Pure Genius" with Augustus Prew and Dermot Mulroney, "The Great Indoors" headed by Joel McHale, "Man with a Plan" featuring Matt LeBlanc and "Kevin Can Wait" with Kevin James.

Geller, who is openly gay, was asked about CBS' lack of diversity at the Television Critics Association's annual event in January, noted Variety.

"I talk about [my husband] publicly because I want to normalize my diversity," Geller stated. "CBS will always reflect what America looks like."

He also pointed out the mid-season shows "Rush Hour" and "Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders" as examples of diverse casting on the network.

"We’re not casting color blind; we’re casting color-conscious — the right roles for diversity," Geller stated. "That’s the kind of shows we’re putting on the air."

FBD
05-19-2016, 01:35 PM
"CBS will always help the owners tell America what it needs to look like."

ftfy