PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Ends Water Fluoridation, Saves $1 Million

fricnjay
05-19-2016, 09:17 PM
After months of city council meetings with regular visits from citizens concerned about the fluoridated water supply, Dallas council members decided to take action. On the 23rd of April, the members officially chose to end fluoridating the water supply. This practice has gone on for five decades to prevent tooth decay, even though it has been proven to be inefficient and to cause more harm than good.

According to NBC5 Dallas Fort Worth, many ardent anti-fluoridation advocates worked hard to ensure this passing, but it seems economic factors, not public health concern, played the primary role. Opponents of fluoridation reportedly claimed that the city could save $1 million a year that is spent on the industrial chemical.

Sheffie Kadane, member of the Dallas City Council, discussed with City Manager A.C. Gonzalez about ending fluoridation. He was cited saying, “We don’t need it and we’d save a million dollars that we can use for something else… We’re looking into seeing what we can do immediately so we can get those funds up front now.”

Members Scott Griggs and Jennifer Staubach Gates also supported Kadane’s reasoning. Anti-fluoridation activist Regine Imburgia commented, “Yeah…This is major big. I knew we would prevail. It only makes sense. We’re spending too much money on an ineffective program”.

Imburgia also added that she is more concerned about the possible health effects of drinking fluoridated water, and that toothpaste with fluoride is a better way to fight tooth decay. She has a point, as fluoride in the water supply has been proven to disrupt the immune system, increase the aging process, and even cause genetic damage (among other adverse effects). But city officials, for the most part, were predominantly focused on the potential savings rather than health issues.

If used topically, such as in toothpaste, fluoride can reduce the tooth decay. But many studies have reported that one does not achieve adequate results by metabolizing fluoride in the digestive system. On the contrary, published research suggests that this chemical is linked to a number of neurological risk factors.

This article published by The Lancet features the work of Philippe Grandjean MD form the Department of Environmental Health, and Philip Landrigan MD, from the Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai, New York. Their findings state that industrial chemicals that injure the developing brain are among the known causes for the rise in prevalence. The study links fluoride to the epidemic rise in neurodevelopmental disorders including ADHD, dyslexia, and autism.

The two scientists postulate that there are even more neurotoxicants which remain undiscovered, and propose global prevention strategy to control what they describe as the pandemic of developmental neurotoxicity.

All in all, this passing is a strong statement for officials in other locations considering to take similar action. Even though it was the economic crisis that fueled lawmakers’ common sense, perhaps positive change will be followed similarly elsewhere to better the public’s health.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-19-2016, 11:28 PM
:tup:

Godfather
05-20-2016, 12:34 AM
It's going to cost tax payers far more than that in dental bills. In Calgary when they removed fluoride to save costs, they saw cavities, extractions and fillings in children nearly double from an average of prior years, and compared against nearby Edmonton school children.

FBD
05-20-2016, 03:14 PM
bs, the shit is a neurotoxin

its called brush your fkn teeth AND Floss them every day, twice a day.

I heard formaldehyde does a good job in keeping various tissues in a certain state for an extremely long time to, but we dont go adding that shit to the water or beer now do we?

fricnjay
05-20-2016, 03:18 PM
I run a Reverse Osmosis filtration system on the water coming into my house and my whole family uses Fluoride free toothpaste and no problems to report. But we do practice proper oral hygiene just minus the fluoride.

allsmiles
05-22-2016, 06:31 AM
I've only had one cavity in my life and I didn't get it until I was 23. My sister's have good teeth as well and my mother claims that it's because we drank tap water while growing up. I don't know. I also brush and floss daily.

Hikari Kisugi
05-22-2016, 09:13 AM
Their findings state that industrial chemicals that injure the developing brain are among the known causes for the rise in prevalence. The study links fluoride to the epidemic rise in neurodevelopmental disorders including ADHD, dyslexia, and autism.

Yeah.. Well northern Ireland has no form of water fluoridation, hasn't for virtually ever bar one small part which hasn't had it for 20 years or more now.

We're seeing rises in all the above named, so it certainly isn't fluoride causing it in our population.

I am all for topical fluoride used in toothpaste and spat out afterwards, to works, and it works well at limiting cavities.
If you have a very good sugar controlled diet, then you'll be fine anyway.

They can expect dental bills to absolutely soar now, just a fact, it will happen, and such is life.
You play one off against the other, 1M dollars at population levels for an overall massively reduction in dental bills would usually be worth it.
You'll find most people who don't drink the water because it is fluoridated, won't drink it anyway after the fluoridation is removed, or filter their water anyway.

You'll also find ADHD, dyslexia, and autism do not drop one single bit in this city over the next ten and twenty years.
I'll be happy to be proved wrong, but I won't be.

FBD
05-22-2016, 06:03 PM
every single case of autism I have personally witnessed has also coincided with TONS of coke being blown by dad for 3-4-5-6 months before conception. :shrug: just sayin' :lol: