PDA

View Full Version : Oregon frat trashes Lake Shasta, leaves behind 90 tents

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2016, 10:54 AM
By Katie Dowd - SF Gate

http://i.imgur.com/kWWvyA9.jpg

Park rangers on their usual Sunday patrol at Lake Shasta encountered a scene of carnage on Slaughterhouse Island — 90 tents, coolers still full of food and alcohol, sleeping bags and yards and yards of garbage.

The perps were nowhere to be seen.

Rangers say it's not uncommon for up to 1,000 college students to be on Lake Shasta, but the sheer level of trash from this group was enough for images from the scene to go viral.

Among the garbage were University of Oregon shopping bags and flip flops and a cooler decorated with the letters of the local chapter of national fraternity Lambda Chi Alpha. It also read "Do you wanna do some blow man?"

Despite the Shasta trip not being a school event, the university has launched an investigation. In an official statement, Oregon vice president for student life Robin Holmes said Lambda Chi Alpha was suspending the chapter's activities "until the situation is addressed."

"The manner in which the forest was left was absolutely unacceptable and disgraceful," Holmes said.

http://i.imgur.com/EpuE9Jn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XhRTzrg.jpg

Rangers say they've already gathered 10 cubic yards(!) of garbage from the scene with more cleanup left to do. (A full-size pick-up truck bed usually holds just 3 cubic yards). They're unsure whether the area will be completely clean in time for Memorial Day weekend.

"Their attitude is we'll pick it up later," Shasta Boating Safety Unit Sgt. Rob Sandbloom told the Daily Emerald. "If you're at your mom's house are you just going to throw a can down and pee on her couch and say you'll clean it up later? No, you wouldn't. And they say they wouldn't, so don't do it here."

In case you need reminding, littering is a crime.

deebakes
05-25-2016, 11:31 AM
:ffs:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-25-2016, 03:42 PM
What assholes

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2016, 03:43 PM
In a case like this, I'm glad the university is looking into it and has suspended the frat even though the university itself had nothing to do with the this.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-25-2016, 03:49 PM
I don't know, while I hate the fuckers I don't see how the school has any say so. It wasn't a school event. I don't see why schools feel the need to be involved in anything outside of school.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2016, 03:53 PM
I don't know, while I hate the fuckers I don't see how the school has any say so. It wasn't a school event. I don't see why schools feel the need to be involved in anything outside of school.

Because the frat involved has the be sanctioned by the school to be allowed on campus. The school can revoke the charter of the frat if they are giving the school a bad name, especially in a case like this where they broke the law.

RBP
05-25-2016, 03:53 PM

So as another example, universities revoke fraternity charters when they are irresponsible, like when underage students die of alcohol poisoning at a party, for example. It's still the activities of a school sanctioned greek organization.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-25-2016, 04:08 PM
So as another example, universities revoke fraternity charters when they are irresponsible, like when underage students die of alcohol poisoning at a party, for example. It's still the activities of a school sanctioned greek organization.

I could understand if it was in the frat house, but this isnt that

Muddy
05-25-2016, 05:30 PM
White people.. We're pretty fucked up too..