PDA

View Full Version : Wet shaving

Goofy
06-01-2016, 12:35 PM
I've recently reverted to wet shaving after going 10 years+ with the designer stubble look (used unguarded hair clippers head + face). Been wet shaving my head while in the shower (directly under the shower-head) with just a cheap Gillette 2 blade disposable and it does the job fine with no cuts, no shave rash/burn etc, face is a different story though, especially the neck area! I don't shave my face in the shower btw :lol: As soon as i'm out of the shower i slap on the shaving cream and get to work, been using the Mach3 razors recently, tried the Fusion too but that actually gave me worse rash/burn, afterwards i use Nivea cooling aftershave balm for sensitive skin. Did a bit of reading on the net and most wet-shaving folks seem to favour the old-style safety razors, was just wondering if anyone here has actually used them and how often they lose pints of blood :lol:

I remember Lance and DGX having a shaving discussion somewhere but couldnt find it......... so, what's everyone's shaving methods + favourite products?

Teh One Who Knocks
06-01-2016, 12:39 PM
I shave in the shower (face only) I just use clippers on my head and it gets everything close enough, barely a stubble.

For products, I use these blades:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUG9qYTJMsI

And for shaving cream/post shaving cream I use Dove for Men products:

http://i.imgur.com/wAM0tyn.jpg http://i.imgur.com/1LUJpNp.jpg

The shaving gel I use is actually the sensitive skin one though, not the hydrating one

redred
06-01-2016, 12:46 PM
philips beard trimmer with no guard

Teh One Who Knocks
06-01-2016, 12:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/8aVGIPN.jpg

Use this for my head, no guard

fricnjay
06-01-2016, 01:35 PM
I do not shave my head but I do shave my face and that includes my neck. I installed a fog resistant mirror in my shower and shave 100% of my face in the shower.

This is the razor I have been using:
http://i.imgur.com/jEy3G7U.jpg

Just started using the Aveno shave gel and it is the holy grail of shave cream. I have never in my life had a shave that comfortable and smooth with no razor burn or anything. Skin feels great after a shave.

http://i.imgur.com/JhliDoQ.jpg

Noilly Pratt
06-01-2016, 03:53 PM
I started wet shaving at 20 and have done so ever since. Schick is presently my shaver (different one to the one FJ posted, but same difference I guess). And, whatever shaving gel is on sale is what I use!

Even at 51 I can get away with shaving every third day. And since I work at home, that is what I do to give my face a break.

Muddy
06-01-2016, 04:17 PM
I shave my balls and dick with a dry disposable razor...

Goofy
06-01-2016, 04:29 PM
For products, I use these blades:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUG9qYTJMsI

Great video :lol: Which blades do you use? (i see they do 2, 4 and 6 blade heads).

I do not shave my head but I do shave my face and that includes my neck. I installed a fog resistant mirror in my shower and shave 100% of my face in the shower.

This is the razor I have been using:
http://i.imgur.com/jEy3G7U.jpg

Just started using the Aveno shave gel and it is the holy grail of shave cream. I have never in my life had a shave that comfortable and smooth with no razor burn or anything. Skin feels great after a shave.

http://i.imgur.com/JhliDoQ.jpg

I started wet shaving at 20 and have done so ever since. Schick is presently my shaver (different one to the one FJ posted, but same difference I guess). And, whatever shaving gel is on sale is what I use!

Even at 51 I can get away with shaving every third day. And since I work at home, that is what I do to give my face a break.

2 votes for Schick blades...... can't say i've ever seen them over here but i can get them on amazon right enough :)

So, no hipsters here that use old-skool safety blades or a cut-throat? :-k

redred
06-01-2016, 04:29 PM
I use a hamster to nibble mine away

Goofy
06-01-2016, 04:30 PM

Thanks for your wonderful contribution

Goofy
06-01-2016, 04:30 PM
I use a hamster to nibble mine away

*sigh*

Muddy
06-01-2016, 04:32 PM
Thanks for your wonderful contribution

:curtsy:

DemonGeminiX
06-01-2016, 04:33 PM
Well, I'm gonna look like an odd ball in here, but I use a Merkur 34C HD double edge safety razor with Feather yellow double edged razor blades.... on occasion I'll use a Dovo straight razor (few and far between, I'm not that good with it, but I'm getting better). I use the kind of creams that require a brush to lather up. At home, I'm currently running through a tube of Real Shaving Shave Co. Double Concentrated Shave cream... it's made by Creighton's, the same cats that make the Geo F. Trumpers line of creams. I have several tubes of Proraso/C.O. Bigelow and rotate that in every once in a while.

If I'm traveling, then I'll usually bring a pack of Bic Metal razors with me and a travel tube of something or another. I currently have a travel tube of Trumpers.

But basically, after the initial investment, the only things I'm really paying for are creams and razor blades. The creams can get relatively expensive but they do last a long time. The ones I'm using currently are on the cheaper side. Double edged safety razor blades are ridiculously cheap, though, and you can get them in bulk off of Amazon. The last time I bought them was a while ago and I got 50 packs of 10 for like $25, so I'm good for a long while on that end.

I wear sideburns that need to be trimmed every week or so so I use a Norelco electric razor for that.

Muddy
06-01-2016, 04:33 PM
Honestly. I get right out the shower.. take a bar of soap and rub it on my facial stubble before my skin drys out.. I then use a shitty gillette ST twin razor to shave.

fricnjay
06-01-2016, 04:34 PM
Great video :lol: Which blades do you use? (i see they do 2, 4 and 6 blade heads).

2 votes for Schick blades...... can't say i've ever seen them over here but i can get them on amazon right enough :)

I have one and tried it about a week but just found the Schick to be more comfortable and quicker to use.

This is the one I have:
http://i.imgur.com/zWKbb1F.jpg

Muddy
06-01-2016, 04:35 PM
http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/13399700?wid=480&hei=480

DemonGeminiX
06-01-2016, 04:37 PM
http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/13399700?wid=480&hei=480

I tried those a long time ago and fucked my face up bad with them. I guess I pressed too hard, cause I was sore for days. :lol:

Muddy
06-01-2016, 04:38 PM
I have to shave within about 60 seconds of getting out of the shower while my skin is still supple and moist.

Pony
06-01-2016, 04:39 PM

:hand:

Real men use a straight razor. Dry.

Muddy
06-01-2016, 04:40 PM
It's like skinning a Yeti...

Teh One Who Knocks
06-01-2016, 04:42 PM

All their ads are hilarious :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pui78pskx24

I use the 4 blade razor, seems to work just fine :thumbsup:

I believe DGX uses the old school safety razors

DemonGeminiX
06-01-2016, 04:47 PM
Are their razors really that good, Lance? Compared to Gillette and Schick?

:-k

redred
06-01-2016, 04:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ddXTltr.jpg

anyone tried these?

redred
06-01-2016, 05:06 PM

hipsters have beards
http://i.imgur.com/nshZaVQ.jpg

Jezter
06-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Now look at you guys! And y'all called me a fancy prancy princess with my product usage...

Teh One Who Knocks
06-01-2016, 06:00 PM
Are their razors really that good, Lance? Compared to Gillette and Schick?

:-k

For the price? Undoubtedly...there's the odd one with the occasional bad blade, but not any more so than with the super expensive ones. Plus, for4 the price, I don't feel like I need to get 398579384675 shaves from each blade :lol:

Noilly Pratt
06-01-2016, 07:40 PM
This is mine -- was too busy before to go out and look for an image...

http://www.schick.ca/images/default-source/products/hydro/470x450/schick-hydro-5-470x450.jpg?sfvrsn=2 I think it's less than $12 here, and the little stubble I have, the 3 razors it comes with will last me 3 months! I used to get women's razors because they're softer on your skin. But this one has some hydrating thingie on it, so it doesn't bind.

Goofy
06-02-2016, 06:49 AM
Well, I'm gonna look like an odd ball in here, but I use a Merkur 34C HD double edge safety razor with Feather yellow double edged razor blades.... on occasion I'll use a Dovo straight razor (few and far between, I'm not that good with it, but I'm getting better). I use the kind of creams that require a brush to lather up. At home, I'm currently running through a tube of Real Shaving Shave Co. Double Concentrated Shave cream... it's made by Creighton's, the same cats that make the Geo F. Trumpers line of creams. I have several tubes of Proraso/C.O. Bigelow and rotate that in every once in a while.

If I'm traveling, then I'll usually bring a pack of Bic Metal razors with me and a travel tube of something or another. I currently have a travel tube of Trumpers.

But basically, after the initial investment, the only things I'm really paying for are creams and razor blades. The creams can get relatively expensive but they do last a long time. The ones I'm using currently are on the cheaper side. Double edged safety razor blades are ridiculously cheap, though, and you can get them in bulk off of Amazon. The last time I bought them was a while ago and I got 50 packs of 10 for like $25, so I'm good for a long while on that end.

I wear sideburns that need to be trimmed every week or so so I use a Norelco electric razor for that.

Have you always used a DE razor mate? Most of the things ive read online claim that you can't get a better shave than from a DE (except for a cut-throat obviously), simple reason being that less blades equal less irritation. I've heard of the Merkur, it seems to get very good reviews everywhere i've looked, might grab one and see how i get on :) From most of the replies it seems like i'm doing much the same as the regular joe so it might be worth having a look at the DE blades and see if that helps with the razor burn/rash!

FBD
06-02-2016, 10:04 AM
I use the fusion power ones. I'm addicted to the vibration, it just makes the shave so much easier its not even funny. Sans power its like ripping the shit out in comparison, but when the blades move a bit its like a power turkey trimmer for your face.

I use that same aveeno stuff jay uses, until I run out, then its dove men's soap. back when there was this company Sensaria that my ex ordered shit from, the had the best shave gel on earth and I bought 4 jugs of it when they went out of business, but I ran out of that shit years ago and it doesnt exist any longer.

I use the vibrating toothbrushes too, they do a much better job cleaning :tup:

Goofy
06-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Now look at you guys! And y'all called me a fancy prancy princess with my product usage...

Shaving is manly :nono:

fricnjay
06-02-2016, 02:34 PM
Have you always used a DE razor mate? Most of the things ive read online claim that you can't get a better shave than from a DE (except for a cut-throat obviously), simple reason being that less blades equal less irritation. I've heard of the Merkur, it seems to get very good reviews everywhere i've looked, might grab one and see how i get on :) From most of the replies it seems like i'm doing much the same as the regular joe so it might be worth having a look at the DE blades and see if that helps with the razor burn/rash!

Goof, like I said I tried one for about a week and was unimpressed. Honestly found the razor more evasive and uncomfortable while not giving me as close a shave. It also seems to take longer than using a modern razor. However I have had a old school barber shave with a straight razor and a double edge and its the closest shave I have ever had and a really relaxing experience. But it takes 45 minutes and cost 60 bucks U.S.

Godfather
06-03-2016, 02:45 AM
I get bad razor burn so I just use a Philips beard trimmer with no guard. When I do shave, I use a Gillet Fusion (5 blade or whatever). For me the biggest thing is making sure my face is well soaked, and shaving in the right direction in areas where it grows in some funky directions.

I was tempted to go Dollar Shave Club but the local news did a piece on it the other day and I'm not really sold: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/are-online-shaving-clubs-a-good-buy-1.2909868

DemonGeminiX
06-03-2016, 06:08 AM

No, I started off pretty much like every guy does, with Gillette's. I believe my first razor was the Sensor Excel twin blade jobber. Then came the Mach 3, then the Fusion, blah, blah, blah. The switch was purely for monetary reasons, because if you really track your expenditures, when you use the "shaving systems" of the major brands, it is costing you an arm and a leg. And all you're doing is getting rid of hair for Christ's sake. That's why Lance is with the dollar shave club, that's why Muddy uses the Schick ST disposables... we all want to save money. There's absolutely no reason this shit should cost as much as it does. It's ridiculous.

Also... I fucking hate shaving. I also fucking hate having a beard. In fact, I hate the beard more, so if I can take a generally painful experience and make it a little more enjoyable, then it's a win in my book. And that's also part of the reason to do it, to try to make shaving a little more enjoyable.

It is absolutely true: less blades and less strokes over the same area equals less irritation. You only need one cutting blade. Period. If I had to go back to using Gillettes, I'd go back to using the Sensor Excel twin blade. Fuck everything else. If there was a decent single blade option, I'd use that instead. More blades = more money, and if you're buying the latest n-numbered blade shaving system, then you are absolutely wasting your money. It's unnecessary. It's just marketing horseshit. I will say this, the dude that creates a low cost and well-performing single blade razor system with similar features found on a Gillette or Schick high end system will make a fucking fortune. I can't believe someone hasn't done it yet. I'd do it if I had the know-how.

I started DE shaving 6 years ago when I found out it was a "thing" and I watched a bunch of videos on youtube dedicated to it. Mantic59's channel sold me on it. He's just a wealth of information.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59?&ab_channel=mantic59

Watch everything. Go older videos first. Spend time learning before you invest your money.

I will not lie, the quality of tools matters. If you get a cheap DE razor from a cheap discount store like our Walmart, it will not shave as well as a higher end Merkur, Muhle, or Edwin Jagger DE razor. I used the cheap one from Walmart and it jacked my face up. I refuse to use it anymore. It's a piece of shit. Using the Merkur or Edwin Jagger that I own, smooth as shit. The more expensive ones are just better engineered to hold a blade better. Also, the type of blades you use will effect the shave as well. Some people swear by Merkur blades, but I can't use them. I also can't use the piece of shit Wilkinson blades that I can get at my local Walmart. I have to use the ultra sharp, make you bleed to death if you cut yourself, Feather yellow blades or the Astra Platinums. Some people swear by the hospital grade Personna medical blades, but I've never used them. I have tons of different types of blades that I've tried. I've settled on Feathers and Astras. You may settle on something else.

I will not lie, there is an initial investment. A good quality DE razor is not cheap compared to the latest Gillette shaving system. But if you learn to use it well and you take care of it, it's something you will only have to buy once. My Merkur 34C cost me $38 when I bought it. It generally goes for $45 or more. My Edwin Jagger DE89BL cost me $32.50 when I bought it. You can get it around the same price today, maybe a little cheaper. Both are very good razors. I switch between using my Merkur and my Edwin Jagger all the time. I use them both. I haven't noticed a difference in shave quality. That could also be due to technique, read below. Any way, you could choose one, take care of it, and be perfectly fine for the rest of your life. There are others out there as well. Do your research and invest in a good one.

As an aside, you can also get old school Gillette DE razors off of Ebay, but that's just an extravagance. It's not necessary. I have 2... one was my Dad's, and I got the other off of Ebay. My Dad's is from 1917. He was born in '45, so I don't know where he got it. The Ebay one is from 1950. I've used them both once. They shaved well. They're collectibles now. It's a damn shame that Gillette got greedy and stopped producing them. However, old mint condition ones are worth money now, so there you go. Mine aren't anywhere near mint condition by any stretch of the imagination, but I like having them.

You will have to buy blades, but they're far cheaper than Gillette cartridges. You can buy them in bulk for a good price. There are tons of websites that sell them. You'll have to search and compare. You'll have to try a bunch to see what works best for you. I suggest a sampler pack or two.

You're in the UK, so you can get really good shaving creams and soaps ridiculously easily. Geo F. Trumpers, Truefitt and Hill, Castle Forbes (I believe is a Scottish product, btw), DR Harris, etc etc etc... they ain't cheap, but they're far better than the shit you spray out the can. Taylor of Old Bond Street is made in England, is cheaper than the previously mentioned brands, and still performs as well as they do. Buy a decent brush, get a wide-mouthed coffee mug, and learn to lather creams and or soaps for real. Or don't. They're an extravagance, but they do work better than the canned shit. We've got a bunch of brands on our side of the pond that are reviewed well that are on my to-try list. I use Italian creams too. I'm definitely a cream guy. A lot of people swear by shaving soaps. I'm not one of them. I just don't like them.

I also will not lie to you: there is a learning curve to DE shaving. Technique is important. When you first get started, you will cut yourself and you will have razor burn, because you're so used to the "old way" of shaving. You have to learn different techniques. The DE razors have a natural weight to them, so you don't need to apply any pressure like you're used to with the lightweight plastic jobbers that you have to sell a kidney for the privilege of using. The weight of the DE razor will take care of the pressure for you. Also, there's an angle you have to hold the razor at to have the blade at the best angle to do it's job. Look at your disposable. The blade is set at an angle. You have to replicate that angle manually. You do not shave the same area twice in a row. You shave an area with one careful stroke and then you move over to the next area. If you want to hit the first area again, you have to relather that area of your face up again. If you don't, you run the risk of cutting yourself or getting razor burn. It's time-consuming to learn, and you will initially have to go slow, but once you get the technique down, you'll get naturally faster and you'll be good to go at a moment's notice... like everything else you've ever learned to do well. It took me about a month to get it down right... and I keep getting better over time.

I bought a straight razor just because. I don't use it that often. I might start practicing with it more. I might not. To be honest, the fucker scares the shit out of me. You can really jack yourself up with those things. And there's a whole mess of different junk you have to learn to use it effectively. I'm happy with my DEs.

Disclaimer: if you do decide to do this, you may develop a curiosity known as 'acquisition disease'. That's where you buy the stuff you need, and then you buy a bunch of other shit that you really don't need at the moment... you buy it just because. Some guys have 100 tubs of creams, 55 razors, 150 different brushes, and a bunch of other shit like aftershave or post shave balms where they'll have like 20 of those where one would suffice. I don't have to tell you that all of this junk adds up, and the point of doing this is to save money. All you need is one decent razor, a good set of razor blades that you will replace periodically, maybe one decent badger or boar hair brush, and maybe one decent shaving cream or soap that you will replace periodically after it's depleted. Aftershave or balm is up to you. I have a bottle of aftershave balm. I hardly ever use it. I have 6 razors, 2 of which I use regularly, 1 of which I use occasionally, 2 of which are collectibles, and 1 of which that I'm sorry I wasted my money on. If I had to, if I had a gun pointed at my head, I would choose one of the two that I use regularly, and I would be fine for the rest of my life. I would beg to keep my father's razor for sentimental reasons. Again, I never use it. Only ever used it once. I probably will never use it again. I have 3 brushes. I only use one. There other 2 were cheap. One of them was my first, bought in a kit that I got at Walmart. Sometimes I clean junk with it. I have several creams, and I use the majority of them in a rotation. I'll probably have to buy new cream in about 6 or 7 years, when I run out of what I currently have. Just beware. Be mindful of your expenditures.

Goof, like I said I tried one for about a week and was unimpressed. Honestly found the razor more evasive and uncomfortable while not giving me as close a shave. It also seems to take longer than using a modern razor. However I have had a old school barber shave with a straight razor and a double edge and its the closest shave I have ever had and a really relaxing experience. But it takes 45 minutes and cost 60 bucks U.S.

Try it again. Like I said above, there's a learning curve. It will take time. But anything worth doing is worth taking the time to learn how to do it well. Get rid of the piece of shit that you bought at Walmart and get a Merkur 34C. Watch Mantic59's videos. Take your time and learn. You can do it. If your father did it, if your grandfather did it, and if your great grandfather did it, then there's no reason why you can't do it. You learned how to play the guitar, you learned how to do the computer junk that you know how to do. Both of those things are way more complex than learning how to shave properly with a good DE razor. As a fellow guitar player, and as a mathematician and a computer programmer, I am telling you honestly, learning to shave well with a DE razor is way, way easier. :lol:

If you guys honestly want to try this and you have questions, don't be afraid to ask. If you make this a ritual, a meditative Zen-thing, then you'll probably get more out of it. Not only are you trying to save money, but you're also trying to make what can be a royal pain in the ass into an enjoyable ritualistic experience you give to yourself. I hate shaving period, but I have found that spending the time and doing this right kinda does make me feel good... like I'm starting my day off right... or at least every other day, because I don't shave every day. I don't mind sporting a 5 O'clock shadow. I just hate beards.

Goofy
06-03-2016, 09:21 AM
Great info mate :tup: I ordered a few bits n pieces on amazon the other day, gonna be a long day at work but will update over the weekend :)

Jezter
06-03-2016, 11:33 AM
My beard growth is so weak, I only need a fluffy face towel after shower and it is gone. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-03-2016, 11:33 AM
I was tempted to go Dollar Shave Club but the local news did a piece on it the other day and I'm not really sold: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/are-online-shaving-clubs-a-good-buy-1.2909868

I've been using it for about 6 months give or take and it's been fine for me :dunno:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-03-2016, 11:34 AM
No, I started off pretty much like every guy does, with Gillette's. I believe my first razor was the Sensor Excel twin blade jobber. Then came the Mach 3, then the Fusion, blah, blah, blah. The switch was purely for monetary reasons, because if you really track your expenditures, when you use the "shaving systems" of the major brands, it is costing you an arm and a leg. And all you're doing is getting rid of hair for Christ's sake. That's why Lance is with the dollar shave club, that's why Muddy uses the Schick ST disposables... we all want to save money. There's absolutely no reason this shit should cost as much as it does. It's ridiculous.

Also... I fucking hate shaving. I also fucking hate having a beard. In fact, I hate the beard more, so if I can take a generally painful experience and make it a little more enjoyable, then it's a win in my book. And that's also part of the reason to do it, to try to make shaving a little more enjoyable.

It is absolutely true: less blades and less strokes over the same area equals less irritation. You only need one cutting blade. Period. If I had to go back to using Gillettes, I'd go back to using the Sensor Excel twin blade. Fuck everything else. If there was a decent single blade option, I'd use that instead. More blades = more money, and if you're buying the latest n-numbered blade shaving system, then you are absolutely wasting your money. It's unnecessary. It's just marketing horseshit. I will say this, the dude that creates a low cost and well-performing single blade razor system with similar features found on a Gillette or Schick high end system will make a fucking fortune. I can't believe someone hasn't done it yet. I'd do it if I had the know-how.

I started DE shaving 6 years ago when I found out it was a "thing" and I watched a bunch of videos on youtube dedicated to it. Mantic59's channel sold me on it. He's just a wealth of information.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59?&ab_channel=mantic59

Watch everything. Go older videos first. Spend time learning before you invest your money.

I will not lie, the quality of tools matters. If you get a cheap DE razor from a cheap discount store like our Walmart, it will not shave as well as a higher end Merkur, Muhle, or Edwin Jagger DE razor. I used the cheap one from Walmart and it jacked my face up. I refuse to use it anymore. It's a piece of shit. Using the Merkur or Edwin Jagger that I own, smooth as shit. The more expensive ones are just better engineered to hold a blade better. Also, the type of blades you use will effect the shave as well. Some people swear by Merkur blades, but I can't use them. I also can't use the piece of shit Wilkinson blades that I can get at my local Walmart. I have to use the ultra sharp, make you bleed to death if you cut yourself, Feather yellow blades or the Astra Platinums. Some people swear by the hospital grade Personna medical blades, but I've never used them. I have tons of different types of blades that I've tried. I've settled on Feathers and Astras. You may settle on something else.

I will not lie, there is an initial investment. A good quality DE razor is not cheap compared to the latest Gillette shaving system. But if you learn to use it well and you take care of it, it's something you will only have to buy once. My Merkur 34C cost me $38 when I bought it. It generally goes for $45 or more. My Edwin Jagger DE89BL cost me $32.50 when I bought it. You can get it around the same price today, maybe a little cheaper. Both are very good razors. I switch between using my Merkur and my Edwin Jagger all the time. I use them both. I haven't noticed a difference in shave quality. That could also be due to technique, read below. Any way, you could choose one, take care of it, and be perfectly fine for the rest of your life. There are others out there as well. Do your research and invest in a good one.

As an aside, you can also get old school Gillette DE razors off of Ebay, but that's just an extravagance. It's not necessary. I have 2... one was my Dad's, and I got the other off of Ebay. My Dad's is from 1917. He was born in '45, so I don't know where he got it. The Ebay one is from 1950. I've used them both once. They shaved well. They're collectibles now. It's a damn shame that Gillette got greedy and stopped producing them. However, old mint condition ones are worth money now, so there you go. Mine aren't anywhere near mint condition by any stretch of the imagination, but I like having them.

You will have to buy blades, but they're far cheaper than Gillette cartridges. You can buy them in bulk for a good price. There are tons of websites that sell them. You'll have to search and compare. You'll have to try a bunch to see what works best for you. I suggest a sampler pack or two.

You're in the UK, so you can get really good shaving creams and soaps ridiculously easily. Geo F. Trumpers, Truefitt and Hill, Castle Forbes (I believe is a Scottish product, btw), DR Harris, etc etc etc... they ain't cheap, but they're far better than the shit you spray out the can. Taylor of Old Bond Street is made in England, is cheaper than the previously mentioned brands, and still performs as well as they do. Buy a decent brush, get a wide-mouthed coffee mug, and learn to lather creams and or soaps for real. Or don't. They're an extravagance, but they do work better than the canned shit. We've got a bunch of brands on our side of the pond that are reviewed well that are on my to-try list. I use Italian creams too. I'm definitely a cream guy. A lot of people swear by shaving soaps. I'm not one of them. I just don't like them.

I also will not lie to you: there is a learning curve to DE shaving. Technique is important. When you first get started, you will cut yourself and you will have razor burn, because you're so used to the "old way" of shaving. You have to learn different techniques. The DE razors have a natural weight to them, so you don't need to apply any pressure like you're used to with the lightweight plastic jobbers that you have to sell a kidney for the privilege of using. The weight of the DE razor will take care of the pressure for you. Also, there's an angle you have to hold the razor at to have the blade at the best angle to do it's job. Look at your disposable. The blade is set at an angle. You have to replicate that angle manually. You do not shave the same area twice in a row. You shave an area with one careful stroke and then you move over to the next area. If you want to hit the first area again, you have to relather that area of your face up again. If you don't, you run the risk of cutting yourself or getting razor burn. It's time-consuming to learn, and you will initially have to go slow, but once you get the technique down, you'll get naturally faster and you'll be good to go at a moment's notice... like everything else you've ever learned to do well. It took me about a month to get it down right... and I keep getting better over time.

I bought a straight razor just because. I don't use it that often. I might start practicing with it more. I might not. To be honest, the fucker scares the shit out of me. You can really jack yourself up with those things. And there's a whole mess of different junk you have to learn to use it effectively. I'm happy with my DEs.

Disclaimer: if you do decide to do this, you may develop a curiosity known as 'acquisition disease'. That's where you buy the stuff you need, and then you buy a bunch of other shit that you really don't need at the moment... you buy it just because. Some guys have 100 tubs of creams, 55 razors, 150 different brushes, and a bunch of other shit like aftershave or post shave balms where they'll have like 20 of those where one would suffice. I don't have to tell you that all of this junk adds up, and the point of doing this is to save money. All you need is one decent razor, a good set of razor blades that you will replace periodically, maybe one decent badger or boar hair brush, and maybe one decent shaving cream or soap that you will replace periodically after it's depleted. Aftershave or balm is up to you. I have a bottle of aftershave balm. I hardly ever use it. I have 6 razors, 2 of which I use regularly, 1 of which I use occasionally, 2 of which are collectibles, and 1 of which that I'm sorry I wasted my money on. If I had to, if I had a gun pointed at my head, I would choose one of the two that I use regularly, and I would be fine for the rest of my life. I would beg to keep my father's razor for sentimental reasons. Again, I never use it. Only ever used it once. I probably will never use it again. I have 3 brushes. I only use one. There other 2 were cheap. One of them was my first, bought in a kit that I got at Walmart. Sometimes I clean junk with it. I have several creams, and I use the majority of them in a rotation. I'll probably have to buy new cream in about 6 or 7 years, when I run out of what I currently have. Just beware. Be mindful of your expenditures.

Try it again. Like I said above, there's a learning curve. It will take time. But anything worth doing is worth taking the time to learn how to do it well. Get rid of the piece of shit that you bought at Walmart and get a Merkur 34C. Watch Mantic59's videos. Take your time and learn. You can do it. If your father did it, if your grandfather did it, and if your great grandfather did it, then there's no reason why you can't do it. You learned how to play the guitar, you learned how to do the computer junk that you know how to do. Both of those things are way more complex than learning how to shave properly with a good DE razor. As a fellow guitar player, and as a mathematician and a computer programmer, I am telling you honestly, learning to shave well with a DE razor is way, way easier. :lol:

If you guys honestly want to try this and you have questions, don't be afraid to ask. If you make this a ritual, a meditative Zen-thing, then you'll probably get more out of it. Not only are you trying to save money, but you're also trying to make what can be a royal pain in the ass into an enjoyable ritualistic experience you give to yourself. I hate shaving period, but I have found that spending the time and doing this right kinda does make me feel good... like I'm starting my day off right... or at least every other day, because I don't shave every day. I don't mind sporting a 5 O'clock shadow. I just hate beards.

:tldr:

Muddy
06-03-2016, 01:05 PM

Yeah, what the actual fuck DGX? :lol: :razz:

Goofy
06-03-2016, 01:10 PM
I read it all :)

FBD
06-03-2016, 01:24 PM
lol, I dont understand what's so hard about reading some text, provided of course one gives a shit about the content.

interesting take dgx - where I will disagree about the # of blades is where the vibration comes into play. need relatively short strokes and clean the hair off after most passes unless its really small or sparse.

fricnjay
06-03-2016, 01:39 PM

:-k I'll look into it. Honestly it makes since that less blades means less irritation. But I didnt know about the quality difference. I'll have to do a little research now. Thanks for the info :tup:

I read it all :)

Me too :agreed:

DemonGeminiX
06-03-2016, 06:48 PM

Yeah, what the actual fuck DGX? :lol: :razz:

I'll get you guys a pop-up book with a whole mess of pretty hand drawn pictures if that will make you more comfortable.

:nana:

redred
06-03-2016, 08:04 PM
:tup: I'll take that

Pony
06-03-2016, 09:52 PM
I'll get you guys a pop-up book with a whole mess of pretty hand drawn pictures if that will make you more comfortable.

:nana:

Pics of hot girls shaving please.

Hugh_Janus
06-03-2016, 11:14 PM
when I used to shave, I used the old mach 3 but the disposable twin blade bic razors were surprisingly good... much, much better than I expected and didn't irritate my neck where my beard grows in all directions. More often than not though, I needed more than one razor to finish the job

Griffin
06-04-2016, 01:30 AM
what's this shaving you nancys speak of?

RBP
06-04-2016, 07:39 AM
I've been using it for about 6 months give or take and it's been fine for me :dunno:

I have been buying direct from Dorco for several years, which is who makes the DSC products, so I agree. The products are great.

DemonGeminiX
06-04-2016, 08:08 AM
I stay away from Dorco stuff. I tried Dorco razor blades and they just were not sharp enough for me. My facial hair is really tough though, so maybe it's just a "me" thing. Like everybody online always says, "YMMV".

Goofy
06-04-2016, 09:17 AM
I stay away from Dorco stuff. I tried Dorco razor blades and they just were not sharp enough for me. My facial hair is really tough though, so maybe it's just a "me" thing. Like everybody online always says, "YMMV".

Yellow Monkeys Meditate Vociferously? :-k