PDA

View Full Version : Canada will get gender-neutral national anthem

Teh One Who Knocks
06-08-2016, 12:02 PM
BY JOEL CONNELLY, SEATTLEPI.COM

http://i.imgur.com/HxJ6PZ2.jpg

Canada is set to get a gender-neutral national anthem, along with its first-ever cabinet composed in equal numbers of men and women.

The House of Commons has voted 219-79 to change wording of "O Canada," with the phrase "all thy sons command" becoming "in all of us command."

Anthem and symbol changes are nothing new. Slavish praise of Stalin was deleted when the Soviet Union began to demonize its late dictator. The music of the Soviet-era anthem remains in use today, but with another overhaul of words.

The first verse of "Deutschland uber Alles" -- "Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles, uber alles in the Welt" -- was jettisoned after World War II. The anthem's third verse became its first, and it was rechristened "Song of Germany."

"Under God" was added to the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance in the 1950s during the Eisenhower administration.

In Canada, the phrase "all thy sons command" dated from World War I. "O Canada" replaced "God Save the Queen" in 1980, marking the end of an era which saw the Maple Leaf flag replace the Red Ensign with its British symbolism.

The changes to "O Canada" have been somewhat controversial, although nothing like the 1960s when crusty former Prime Minister John Diefenbaker shed public tears at the passing of the Red Ensign.

The wording change was sponsored by Ottawa MP Mauril Belanger, who is dying of ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and has had to use a tablet and text-to-speech program to argue for the change in wording.

"On the eve of the 150th anniversary of our federation, it is important that one of our most recognized and appreciated national symbols reflect the progress made by our country in terms of gender equality," Belanger told parliament.

"This progress was slow and hard-won at times and it marked our Canada's history. It should be celebrated in our national anthem."

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has backed the change. Last October, when a reporter asked why he had brought gender parity to his newly named cabinet, Trudeau shot back: "Because it is 2015."

The change has stirred opposition in the opposition Conservative Party.

"It is wrong for a country to tread on its heritage under history, even when some of those heritage symbols, songs and anthems may seem a little dated when looking at it through the lens of 2016," argued Conservative MP Erin O'Toole.

The legislation gets a final look from the Commons' heritage committee. It then goes to third reading and final passage.

Noilly Pratt
06-08-2016, 02:35 PM
O Canada
Our gender-neutral (b)land
True non-offensive thoughts
The one line change demand

"We're Sorry" guys
It's no surprise
This anthem's pretty bland

Can't mention God
Or genders broad
The commons doth command

God, keep our song
The way it is right now
You change the words
and dilute the song and how

O Canada
Our song is wrong decree

FBD
06-08-2016, 02:42 PM
:clap:

DemonGeminiX
06-08-2016, 02:58 PM
O Canada
Our gender-neutral (b)land
True non-offensive thoughts
The one line change demand

"We're Sorry" guys
It's no surprise
This anthem's pretty bland

Can't mention God
Or genders broad
The commons doth command

God, keep our song
The way it is right now
You change the words
and dilute the song and how

O Canada
Our song is wrong decree

:lol:

Noilly Pratt
06-08-2016, 03:32 PM
Thank you, thank you...I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your waiter on your way out. :D

perrhaps
06-09-2016, 08:40 AM
Thank you, thank you...I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your waiter on your way out. :D

"Stay away from slow horses and fast women, young man".

Noilly Pratt
06-09-2016, 03:46 PM
"Stay away from slow horses and fast women, young man".

The former - OK. I never gamble and I own a newer Ford Mustang. :) The latter...definitely not anymore!

Reminded me of another quote - Here's to "faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money".:beer:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-29-2017, 12:36 PM
By Lukas Mikelionis - Heat Street

http://i.imgur.com/0ginjlgh.jpg

Canadian Conservative senators have blocked a bill approved by Justin Trudeau’s administration that would have made the country’s national anthem lyrics gender neutral and more inclusive of women.

The bill, which passed in the lower chamber of the Parliament last summer and had the government’s approval, has been struck down after a year-long effort by the Conservative opposition party, CBC News reported.

It tried to change the national anthem lyrics’ by altering the line “in all thy sons commands” to “in all of us command” in a bid to make the anthem more inclusive and remove gendered language from the anthem. It had been hoped by its backers the changed lyrics would be ready for Canada Day on July 1.

The opposition against the bill has been brewing over the last year – not only in Conservative circles. Liberal Senator Joan Fraser came out against the effort to change the anthem several months ago, saying “It’s a fine example of what happens when you let politicians meddle. Politicians are not usually poets.”

http://i.imgur.com/tEFel1H.jpg
David Wells

On Tuesday, Conservative Senator David Wells explained his successful attempt to stop the bill from going forward. “I’m trying to protect the tradition rather than, you know, water it down with a politically correct version that is historically inaccurate.

“I don’t misrepresent why I’m [using parliamentary stall tactics] … I don’t like this bill, and I will do what I can to ensure it doesn’t pass.”

He explained his opposition to the bill, saying national symbols shouldn’t be changed to the “flavor of the day” and added that the Canadians weren’t actually consulted on the possible change.

“I’ll be working my hardest to delay this bill until there’s a full debate,” Wells said. “I get a lot of emails, and many comments to me personally, from people who don’t want to see the anthem change, who see it as a part of our tradition and who see this attempt to change it as political correctness run amok. It is a slippery slope. Calls for inclusion will always be there, but my belief is all Canadians are already included in the national anthem.”

The Conservative senator also compared the bill with the paintings in the Senate showing men in combat during the First World War.

“Would we now airbrush females into those pictures to accurately reflect what it might be today with those pieces of Canadians’ history? My answer is no, that would be an abomination, and I think that’s what it is with the anthem as well.”

http://i.imgur.com/uCKDFe5m.jpg
Ramona Lumpkin

The bill, however, still has its proponents. Ramona Lumpkin, the president and vice-chancellor of Mount Saint Vincent University in Halifax, is said to have been disappointed that the effort to change the anthem was stalled.

“We’re so close and I really regret that there are a few senators who seem to have dug in and decided to delay. I hope it’s not a permanent block,” she told CBC News.

“It’s not as if the words were brought down from Mount Sinai on stone tablets like the Ten Commandments, they are words created by humans and subject to change as our social and cultural conditions change, and thank goodness they do.”

Lumpkin added: “I know language matters and I talk to students and young women regularly who still feel their voice doesn’t carry as strong as the voice of their male friends. I think the gesture, even though it’s symbolic, would say a lot to those young women.”

Godfather
06-29-2017, 02:51 PM
I'm still singing it the old way you pansies

Teh One Who Knocks
06-29-2017, 03:11 PM

http://i.imgur.com/LblBt7f.jpg

deebakes
06-30-2017, 12:56 AM

:eek:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-02-2018, 12:02 PM
Harley Tamplin for Metro.co.uk

https://i.imgur.com/nnIKroc.jpg

Canada has voted to change the lyrics of its national anthem to remove gendered language following claims it is discriminatory.

The country’s Senate passed a bill ruling that the line ‘in all thy sons command’ will be replaced by ‘in all of us command’ in O Canada.

Since it became the national anthem in 1980, there have been 12 bills attempting to remove ‘sons’ from the song – all have failed until now.

The successful bill was first introduced in 2016 by Liberal MP Mauril Bélanger, who died later that year.

Ontario Senator Frances Lankin, the sponsor of Bélanger’s bill the upper house, told CBC: ‘I’m very, very happy.

‘There’s been 30 years plus of activity trying to make our national anthem, this important thing about our country, inclusive of all of us.

‘This may be small, it’s about two words, but it’s huge… we can now sing it with pride knowing the law will support us in terms of the language. I’m proud to be part of the group that made this happen.’

The bill was passed despite staunch opposition from Conservative senators.

Conservatives missed the final vote on the bill as they had boycotted a vote on the motion.

It must receive royal assent by the Governor General before it becomes law.

Quebec Senator Chantal Petitclerc, a former Paralympic gold medalist, said she was ‘jealous’ of Canada’s Winter Olympics team who will be able to sing the updated anthem if they win gold.

Goofy
02-02-2018, 01:27 PM
Hal, GF, Noilly - :haha: :ghey:

Hal-9000
02-02-2018, 04:25 PM
Completely ruins the rhythm of the line [-(

‘all thy sons command’ will be replaced by ‘in all of us command’

Hal-9000
02-02-2018, 04:26 PM
Hal, GF, Noilly - :haha: :ghey:

At least our anthem is in English...none of that acchim, macchim, ooot mee butthole stuff you call words :x

Teh One Who Knocks
02-02-2018, 04:32 PM
At least our anthem is in English...none of that acchim, macchim, ooot mee butthole stuff you call words :x

It's in French too :slap:

Hal-9000
02-02-2018, 04:34 PM

The Scottish anthem? Weird...

Teh One Who Knocks
02-02-2018, 04:42 PM
The Scottish anthem? Weird...

:slap:

Hal-9000
02-02-2018, 04:44 PM
lécher mes couilles :)

Teh One Who Knocks
02-02-2018, 04:49 PM
lécher mes couilles :)

Go back to Quebec you frog :x

Hal-9000
02-02-2018, 04:53 PM
There's a slur I haven't used...umm, heard in a long time :lol:

Goofy
02-02-2018, 04:55 PM
We speak Scottish you damn Frenchman [-(

Teh One Who Knocks
02-02-2018, 04:57 PM
There's a slur I haven't used...umm, heard in a long time :lol:

:watching:

Hal-9000
02-02-2018, 04:58 PM
We speak Scottish you damn Frenchman [-(

What about all that jibber jabber with too many letters in it....gay-lick?

and the tae's and nae's and oots of it all? :x

Pony
02-02-2018, 05:12 PM

Next time the libs get power they will change ours to a gender neutral, anti-white anthem......sung in Spanish.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-02-2018, 05:13 PM
Next time the libs get power they will change ours to a gender neutral, anti-white anthem......sung in Spanish.

Jose can you see? :-k

Goofy
02-02-2018, 07:00 PM
What about all that jibber jabber with too many letters in it....gay-lick?

and the tae's and nae's and oots of it all? :x
Pretty much a dead language tbh...... poch mahon

Hikari Kisugi
02-02-2018, 07:05 PM
Flower of Scotland is a great anthem, even as an Irishman I do love to hear it sung in Murrayfield for the rugby matches.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-02-2018, 07:16 PM
https://i.imgur.com/x86leVm.jpg

Hal-9000
02-02-2018, 08:13 PM
Oh Gay Canada?? :lol:

lost in melb.
02-03-2018, 05:05 AM

O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand

naughty, naughty, :nono: :nono:

Godfather
02-03-2018, 09:44 PM
Going to the hockey game tonight, I'm saying 'Sons' with my hand to my heart. Fight the power. :hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-03-2018, 10:52 PM
Going to the hockey game tonight, I'm saying 'Sons' with my hand to my heart. Fight the power. :hand:

*files a bias incident report*

Godfather
02-03-2018, 10:54 PM
*starts filming 14 minutes youtube apology*

Teh One Who Knocks
02-03-2018, 11:00 PM
Not good enough :hand:

Hal-9000
02-04-2018, 04:28 AM
*files a bias incident report*

*starts filming 14 minutes youtube apology*

*touches no-no place on dolly and glares accusingly at both*