PDA

View Full Version : No, it’s not rude to bring your own food to a restaurant when you have kids

Teh One Who Knocks
06-16-2016, 11:35 AM
by Tiffanie DiDonato - SheKnows.com

http://i.imgur.com/q4xwZko.jpg

When my son was first born, dining out was easy. Titan slept soundly in his car seat, while my husband and I enjoyed the restaurants we craved — Japanese hibachi, seafood and Mexican. We ate anywhere we wanted without a second thought. But as Titan got older, eating at the places we enjoyed diminished dramatically. Our choices revolved around kid-friendly restaurants. I'll be honest: I can only have Red Robin, IHOP and Olive Garden so many times.

Suddenly, my husband and I found ourselves avoiding going out to eat altogether. Which is how I became that mom who brings her child's dinner to a restaurant.

It began a few years ago, when my husband and I first built our dream house in Swansboro, North Carolina. The area is dotted with adorable locally owned restaurants up and down the downtown waterfront. Up to our eyeballs with french fries and burgers, we decided to stop into an Italian place named Trattoria's.

When the server came to take our order, I asked for a child's milk. "I'm sorry," she said, "we only have cream." Not a single sauce recipe called for an ounce of milk (or as my family calls it, gravy). Here were our choices: Leave and find another place, or run to the store and return with a few small milks.

We chose the latter.

But nothing on the menu came in a kid's portion, and nothing was served family style. I wanted calamari. My husband wanted mussels in a white wine sauce. Titan would only touch the baked ziti with meatballs. Surprise, surprise: He ate about seven bites of a massive adult plate. Save it for leftovers? That would be a good idea, if we all liked red sauce.

The bottom line is, it was a meal neither of us would have ordered in the first place.

"So much for trying new places," Eric said, disheartened.

When the next weekend arrived, he dared to ask if I wanted to go out again. "Olive Garden? IHOP? Red Robin? Outback?" Without realizing it, he was letting our son's palate dictate where we dined out as a family. It was habit. Again. And dear God, I was tired of it.

I want hibachi, I declared. Immediately, Eric suggested we call our babysitter to check her availability before making any further plans. But I wanted to bring Titan with us. I wanted to experience the places we enjoyed as a couple, as a family. And I was already thinking ahead to when our second son, Tristan, begins eating solid foods.

I don't want to be confined to restaurants where the hostess gives crayons with our utensils.

That night, I took our small insulated travel container and packed Ty's favorite in aluminum foil: grilled cheese. I added a travel milk (the same as we had to buy when we went to Trattoria's), pickles and apple slices. To me, it felt no different than, say, packing a balanced snack for t-ball practice. Go ahead, call me rude. Preach to me the foodie gospel, you should broaden your son's horizons and make him experience new foods, now.

I'll say the same thing I told my husband when he (at first) crinkled his brow towards my solution. Pick your poison: an irritated and vocal child with an empty stomach, or this?

I do realize that as Titan gets older he'll have to, well, suck it up. You won't spot me placating his picky eating when he's 12. But he's only four. Dinner is not that serious right now. What is important is spending quality time together without being stressed out over the menu. And why should it bother others anyway? I'm not at their table unwrapping sandwiches and sides under their noses and over their plates.

At restaurants, I get a handful of stares, a few dirty looks. But here's the reality: That first time, Ty sat sweetly, respectfully, and ate every bite. And Mom and Dad? We indulged in a meal taken for granted during our dating years. I was even able to slip bite of shrimp dipped in tangy white sauce into Titan's little mouth. There was no anxiety, no yelling EAT THIS OR GO WITHOUT! More than that, there was no pressure. Titan tried it on his own terms and then chose to go back to his beloved sandwich. In our own way, I am teaching him new food can be good.

Together, we created a new pleasant memory with food we adore.

redred
06-16-2016, 11:37 AM
depends on the type of place and age of the kid

Fodster
06-16-2016, 12:08 PM
Its very rude

FBD
06-16-2016, 01:21 PM
who the fuck cares what other people bring into a restaurant? so long as the kid is quiet and not causing a ruckus or screaming, I dont care if they bring a got damn 5 course meal on the side for their kid.

DemonGeminiX
06-16-2016, 02:03 PM
The restaurant cares. They make their living off of the fare they sell. It's a restaurant, not a member's only club where the members get to set the rules. If the kid doesn't like what's on the menu, then maybe the parents should splurge for a babysitter like most rational, non-entitled people do.

FBD
06-16-2016, 04:40 PM
I'm sure the restaurant would rather have business than not have business. If its a choice between a sale and no sale, most entrepreneurs make that choice pretty easily.

and a babysitter? for a dinner? the economy sucks balls and sitters aint cheap.

I dont see what the problem is with bringing a pb&j to a restaurant for a finicky ass kid, its not like they're setting up the Coleman on the side of the table and grilling the fucker a hot dog.

DemonGeminiX
06-16-2016, 05:16 PM
The Coleman... there's a mental picture.

"We're just gonna roll this up right next to the table here... uh... anybody got a match?"

:lol:

Noilly Pratt
06-16-2016, 05:35 PM
Most restaurants around here don't care. When my daughter was VERY little we did this. It's kind of the norm here in Canada I think, and if the kid is quiet and not causing a fuss, I think they'd rather have paying adults coming in rather than lose the business. We would tip them well because it often meant extra work for the staff - if the kid leaves a mess.

One I know used to have mashed potatoes for kids which was great - most kids like that.

Muddy
06-16-2016, 05:39 PM
You cant do that shit in my area.. It has mainly to do with cross contamination of other customers with food allergies.

FBD
06-16-2016, 05:56 PM
other customers?? :facepalm:

Muddy
06-16-2016, 07:34 PM
Liability.. You can thank the lawyers.

FBD
06-16-2016, 07:37 PM
fuck the lawyers :hitler:

shakespeare was right about them, the politicians, and the bankers....should be the first 3 to hang

Hugh_Janus
06-16-2016, 07:41 PM
and a babysitter? for a dinner? the economy sucks balls and sitters aint cheap.

yet you're going to spend 100 bucks on dinner...

FBD
06-16-2016, 07:45 PM
well that depends on how much ya drink now doesnt it :lol: