PDA

View Full Version : Suspicious Gun Shop Turned Away Orlando Shooter, Notified Authorities, Weeks Before Attack

fricnjay
06-17-2016, 02:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/NL0d7g3.jpg

Several weeks before Omar Mateen would massacre more than 50 individuals at the Pulse Nightclub in Orlando, Florida, weary gun shop employees turned Mateen away from their store and notified the FBI.

The gun shop told the feds that Mateen was acting very suspiciously and asking questions that raised alarm.

ABC Reports:

Robert Abell, a co-owner of Lotus Gunworks in Jensen Beach, Florida, told ABC News today that a man entered the store five or six weeks ago and asked specific questions about high-end body armor. When employees said the store didn’t carry the body armor he wanted, Abell said, the man made a phone call in a foreign language, hung up and then asked about ammunition in bulk.

Abell said a member of his staff thought the questions were “odd” and made him uncomfortable, so he turned the man away.

Abell added that they thought the man was “very suspicious,” so they called the local FBI office in West Palm Beach and reported the incident. But they didn’t have the man’s name, since no sale was made, and the only surveillance footage they had was grainy.

“We gave them information and everything that took place, and that was the end of the conversation,” he said.

There was a follow-up conversation with agents, Abell said, but the FBI never visited the store or investigated further.

That was the end of it until he saw the news about the Orlando shooting that took place early Sunday morning and images of the man identified as the killer: Mateen, the man who Abell said was in the store.

“He slipped through the cracks,” Abell said.

He said his staffers contacted the FBI after the shooting to remind them about their run-in with the suspicious man. The store’s surveillance tape, however, had long since been overwritten, he said.

Public affairs officials for the FBI’s Miami field office, which oversees the West Palm Beach satellite office, and at headquarters in Washington, D.C., declined comment.

This is developing into a pattern of incompetence. The federal government had previously investigated Mateen and closed the investigation despite reports that he had threatened violence, his travel to Saudi Arabia, and his links to Islamic radicals. Now the federal government is eager to point the finger at gun owners; however, it was clearly the feds that dropped the ball.

DemonGeminiX
06-17-2016, 02:45 PM
While I agree that the Feds dropped the ball on this guy, in their defense, there's not a whole helluva lot you can do when you can't identify someone.

fricnjay
06-17-2016, 02:50 PM
1219665078091848/

DemonGeminiX
06-17-2016, 03:05 PM
They couldn't give the Feds a name, they didn't have a decent video that clearly showed his face... what the hell did the Feds have to go on? The FBI doesn't run to locations at the very moment when somebody calls and says they have a bad feeling about somebody. That's not the way it works. Hell, local PDs don't do that either.

If the gun shop owner really wanted to be helpful, he would have installed a better security system that captures video in higher resolution to get a better look at people they have bad feelings about. This guy's just trying to get his name in the headlines.

FBD
06-17-2016, 04:09 PM
as if that would have changed how the script played out

DemonGeminiX
06-17-2016, 04:10 PM
It could have.

FBD
06-17-2016, 05:22 PM
:boobs:

deebakes
06-17-2016, 05:25 PM
where? :wank:

Fodster
06-18-2016, 08:35 AM
The shop owner could of pretended to sell the guy a gun just to get his details and then refused him the purchase.... Smart thinking right there!

redred
06-18-2016, 09:50 AM
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13393962_1445403045485588_2979861101526564815_n.jp g?oh=2601d7403d0deaae1d567f2c7c40b5db&oe=57CA82C6

deebakes
06-18-2016, 01:32 PM
:lol:

DemonGeminiX
06-18-2016, 04:31 PM
The shop owner could of pretended to sell the guy a gun just to get his details and then refused him the purchase.... Smart thinking right there!

You don't need to give any personal details to purchase ammo or body armor. However:

"I'm sorry, but we don't have any in stock right now. However, I could order some for you. If you give me your name, address, and phone number, I could call you when it comes in, and set it aside for you to come pick up."

Edit: Well, you do have to show ID to prove your age, but that's different from a background check. They're just making sure you're old enough.

Godfather
06-19-2016, 01:36 AM
Interesting he made an angry call in another language right in the store... Hope the FBI follows that tidbit of a lead and figures out more info about his accomplices.

FBD
06-20-2016, 04:02 PM
why would they do that, when they were working with him

http://www.alternet.org/grayzone-project/omar-mateen-committed-mass-murder-fbi-tried-lure-him-terror-plot

redred
06-20-2016, 04:39 PM
:lol: i love it , they call it the greyzone because not everything is black or white

FBD
06-20-2016, 07:56 PM
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-06-19/orlando-shooters-employer-admits-it-made-clerical-error-regarding-his-mental-health

clerical error :lol: yeah, I guess that's what having something fixed can be called...make up bs, and then :shrug: the lady that supposedly evaluated him had been gone 2 years already