PDA

View Full Version : Maine Gov. LePage threatens to halt food stamp program amid sugar crackdown

Teh One Who Knocks
06-22-2016, 02:18 PM
FOX News and The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/2t9jv9e.jpg

Maine Gov. Paul LePage is making a seemingly unprecedented move to rein in food stamps in his state -- warning the Obama administration he'll try to ban recipients from buying products like Mars bars and Mountain Dew, or halt the program entirely.

The warning comes after the Obama administration shot down his request for a waiver to institute the ban on candy and sugary drinks.

The firebrand Republican wrote to U.S. Department of Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack objecting vociferously to the agency’s decision. In the June 17 letter, LePage called the ban “a commonsense proposition.”

Citing Maine’s rising obesity and diabetes rates, LePage said he will look “to implement reform unilaterally or cease Maine’s administration of the food stamp program altogether.”

“It’s time for the federal government to wake up and smell the energy drinks,” wrote LePage, who went on to accuse the Obama administration of a double standard in the way it polices school cafeterias, but not how taxpayer money is used on the food stamp program.

“The Obama administration goes to great lengths to police the menus of K-12 cafeterias but looks the other way as billions of taxpayer dollars finance a steady diet of Mars bars and Mountain Dew,” LePage said. “I can think of only one reason why the federal government would refuse to eliminate junk food from the EBT menu: special interests.”

LePage noted that only 31 percent of Mainers eat the recommended amount of vegetables. He says that taxpayers are also paying for the consequences of poor eating habits because most SNAP recipients also receive Medicaid.

“Beyond the health effects of the federal government’s corrupt food stamp policy is the tragedy of billions in wasted taxpayer dollars that buy candy and soda through a program that was originally designed to reduce hunger. Maine taxpayers see it every day at the grocery store and they are sick and tired of watching their hard-earned money go down the drain,” LePage said.

The LePage administration made the request in November after his proposal was rejected twice by the Maine Legislature, according to The Bangor Daily News.

State Rep. Drew Gattine, a Democrat, told The Daily News he felt the governor was looking for a fight with the Obama administration.

“This just seems to me to be just the governor trying to pick a fight with the feds,” said Gattine. “Nobody thinks that people on food stamps should be buying snack food and candy and sugary drinks. What we really need to do is find a way to make healthy food more affordable.”

FBD
06-22-2016, 02:24 PM
snap is unconstitutional

Teh One Who Knocks
06-22-2016, 06:56 PM
I wish they would address this nationally, there's nothing worse than seeing people abuse the free taxpayer money they receive. I was in a 7-11 a year or two ago and I was in line behind this fat, grouchy bitch with 4 kids (all appearing to be under the age of 7 or 8) and she had nachos and Slurpees and chips for her brats and she paid for it all with her welfare card :|

PorkChopSandwiches
06-22-2016, 07:22 PM
I worked at 7-11 in CT and saw this on a daily basis, it's sickening really

redred
06-22-2016, 07:47 PM
I now have this vision of you looking like Apu :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-22-2016, 07:55 PM
Everyone else there was Apu. I was the lone white guy there while I was going to school

redred
06-22-2016, 08:03 PM
You ain't white you're Mexican

PorkChopSandwiches
06-22-2016, 08:43 PM
You know what I mean. :lol:

Godfather
06-23-2016, 05:24 AM
I wish they would address this nationally, there's nothing worse than seeing people abuse the free taxpayer money they receive. I was in a 7-11 a year or two ago and I was in line behind this fat, grouchy bitch with 4 kids (all appearing to be under the age of 7 or 8) and she had nachos and Slurpees and chips for her brats and she paid for it all with her welfare card :|

That's fucked! Didn't know that was possible. Not only is that unhealthy and not the intent of Welfare - gas stations are generally not an economical place to buy practically anything.

They should only work in budget grocery stores, and only for food from certain isles :lol: Sorry, did you get this item from the Chips, Pop & Candy isle in the middle of the store? No bueno.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-23-2016, 05:50 PM
Outside isles only

Teh One Who Knocks
06-23-2016, 06:17 PM
That's fucked! Didn't know that was possible. Not only is that unhealthy and not the intent of Welfare - gas stations are generally not an economical place to buy practically anything.

They should only work in budget grocery stores, and only for food from certain isles :lol: Sorry, did you get this item from the Chips, Pop & Candy isle in the middle of the store? No bueno.

Dude, in Colorado (I don't know about the rest of the country) McDonald's and Taco Bell accept welfare benefit cards :|

PorkChopSandwiches
06-23-2016, 07:00 PM
Dennys has a huge billboard out on the freeway announcing they accept EBT. WTF are you going out to eat for, if you cant afford food

Griffin
06-23-2016, 11:06 PM

Back in the eighties I worked in a grocery store. I made a similar comment about kids buying candy and sodas with food stamps.
A black cashier over heard me and said, "You got sumpin against kids getting a lowance?"