PDA

View Full Version : After U.K.'s #Brexit, Texas secession movement calls for #Texit

Teh One Who Knocks
06-25-2016, 12:09 PM
By KATU.com Staff

http://i.imgur.com/VkzH76q.jpg

As the world reacts to Britain's decision to leave the European Union, some Texans have taken to social media calling for a #Texit of their own.

The longstanding conversation of Texas secession saw renewed vigor after the U.K. held its anti-establishment "Brexit" vote on Thursday.

By Friday, the Texas Nationalist Movement claimed that it had more than a quarter-million signatures on a petition for the Lone Star State to go it alone.

The group released a statement calling for Texas Governor Greg Abbott to support a "Texit" vote.

"It is past time that the people of Texas had their say on our continued relationship with the Union and its sprawling Federal bureaucracy," TNM's president, Daniel Miller, said in the release.

As of Friday afternoon, Governor Abbott had not publicly responded to TNM's message.

deebakes
06-25-2016, 12:41 PM
:facepalm:

RBP
06-25-2016, 02:13 PM
Let them vote.

Loser
06-25-2016, 05:00 PM
I could move to texas...

deebakes
06-25-2016, 05:13 PM
i don't think there are a lot of amish there though loser :shrug:

Loser
06-25-2016, 07:50 PM
That's a bonus :lol:

deebakes
06-25-2016, 09:53 PM
:shock:

Loser
06-26-2016, 05:11 AM
Amish put corn and sugar in everything....

EVERYTHING!!! :(

Hugh_Janus
06-26-2016, 08:45 PM
allllllll my exits live in texits

fricnjay
06-27-2016, 02:08 PM
AUSTIN (Nexstar) — Texas is known as the Lone Star State for a reason, and that spirit of independence is the force behind the movement to make Texas – once again – its own independent nation.

The Texas Nationalist Movement is petitioning to get secession on the primary ballot, and the group leader said there is enough support to do it. He said his members just need to collect the signatures.

“Obviously the support is there. It’s just logistics at this point,” said Dan Miller, President of the Texas Nationalist Movement.

Miller said the group now has close to 1,000 volunteers scattered across the state to collect signatures. The goal is to get 75,000 in the next 75 days—that’s more than the 66,894 the Texas Secretary of State’s office requires to get on the ballot before the December 1 deadline.

The topic has been discussed for generations, but members of TNM said this is the right time.

“Texas ideals might become a little diluted, if we don’t do it now we might never be able to do it,” said Warren Peck.

Born and raised in Texas – Peck is a dad, a small business owner and a veteran of the U.S. Navy. He fought for his country and now he wants to fight for his state’s freedom.

“I don’t feel like I’m being unpatriotic. I feel like our federal government has become unpatriotic,” Peck said.

“I mean I’ve always been proud to be an American. I can’t necessarily say that anymore,” Peck said.

There are many reasons he is not happy with the federal government, but this movement is about more than just politics.

“Texans are special. Texans are Texans first before we are anything else,” Peck said.

The Texas way of life and its value system are different from the rest of the U.S. Peck said the Lone Star State needs to stand alone and Texas has the economic and natural resources to do it.

Javier Gamboa, spokesman for Texas Democrats, said the movement is an attack on the American government.

“It’s kind of frightening. It’s frightening,” Gamboa said.

Texas Republicans don’t support the secession either, but TNM plans to put the question up for vote on the GOP’s primary ballot in March.

Although legal experts said Texas cannot secede from the U.S. in a primary vote, Miller argued that a provision in state’s constitution gives people the right to “alter, reform or abolish their government in such manner as they may think expedient.”

Just like it was done in in 1861, Miller wants the see what the state has to say by popular vote.

Peck said, “There are so many people like me that have seen enough and had enough and are ready to do it that I’m collecting signatures left and right every day.”

TNM has yet to release the number of signatures collected thus far but Miller said the group attracts thousands of new followers each week and he’s confident secession will be on the 2016 primary ballot.

fricnjay
06-27-2016, 02:17 PM
I signed, and know a LOT of people who have. We want out!!!! Most Texans I know no longer trust or believe our government has the peoples interests in at heart nor do we believe in there values. We are at an impasse and even though the Local Rep. party voted against it and congress said it is illegal locals are not ruling it out.

fricnjay
06-27-2016, 02:17 PM
First off, Texas has 26 million people and is growing quite rapidly. Even for its size, Texas has a larger influence on the Federal government than any other state except California. So there isn't going to be any military action against Texas without years of court challenges and political compromises before.

Second, there is the rise of the "Gunbelt". This is a recognition that almost all the US military bases and most of the soldiers and sailors are coming from the South, particularly Texas. Over 10% of the US military hails from the Lone Star state. Worse, the vast majority of the bases and military members come from the southern part of the US.† Therefore, the US military is beginning to look more and more like the Texas military. These people are very unlikely to attack their parents and families without very very good cause (e.g. think zombie attack or alien invasion).

Third, although it is "inconceivable" (in a Vizzini sense) that the US would attack Texas, if they did they would have to contend with millions of armed Texans. You may laugh, after all it is "inconceivable", but rural and suburban Texas is big on owning the latest weapons.

Finally, Texas is America. There have been so many people moving to Texas from Illinois, California, New York, Minnesota, Florida, Nebraska, New Mexico, and Mexico, that the state is a mini reflection of the US. All of these people have friends and families across the country. It is unlikely that Texas would do something that is so harmful to the remainder of the country that they would want to invade.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-27-2016, 02:24 PM
:bye:

redred
06-27-2016, 03:07 PM
out of interest do you think a state on the main land US could go independent ? the easy options would be alaska and hawaii because of there location

Loser
06-27-2016, 03:45 PM
Texas controls 10% of the US GDP.

I think they could go it alone just fine.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-27-2016, 03:47 PM
I too am tired of the federal government

deebakes
06-27-2016, 04:14 PM
then go back to mexico beaner :hand:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-27-2016, 04:29 PM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/8/12215163_b7d88995f3.jpg

Muddy
06-27-2016, 04:50 PM
Texas thinks they are so special and unique... :lol: Ive been there.. They're not!

DemonGeminiX
06-27-2016, 06:40 PM
It will be the shortest war in the history of the United States, and no offense, Texans, but y'all won't win.

I too am tired of the federal government

Says the guy whose state government is 20 times worse than the federal government.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-27-2016, 06:52 PM
It will be the shortest war in the history of the United States, and no offense, Texans, but y'all won't win.

Says the guy whose state government is 20 times worse than the federal government.

I don't like much of CA's government either

DemonGeminiX
06-27-2016, 08:07 PM
I don't like much of CA's government either

I hate to sound like a broken record, but...

... but...

... wait for it...

... almost there...

... here it comes...

... but...

THEN MOVE TO FUCKIN' ARIZONA, DUMBASS!!!

:nana:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-27-2016, 08:15 PM
:rofl:

fricnjay
06-27-2016, 08:55 PM
Texas thinks they are so special and unique... :lol: Ive been there.. They're not!
:slap:

:slap:

First off, Texas has 26 million people and is growing quite rapidly. Even for its size, Texas has a larger influence on the Federal government than any other state except California. So there isn't going to be any military action against Texas without years of court challenges and political compromises before.

Second, there is the rise of the "Gunbelt". This is a recognition that almost all the US military bases and most of the soldiers and sailors are coming from the South, particularly Texas. Over 10% of the US military hails from the Lone Star state. Worse, the vast majority of the bases and military members come from the southern part of the US.† Therefore, the US military is beginning to look more and more like the Texas military. These people are very unlikely to attack their parents and families without very very good cause (e.g. think zombie attack or alien invasion).

Third, although it is "inconceivable" (in a Vizzini sense) that the US would attack Texas, if they did they would have to contend with millions of armed Texans. You may laugh, after all it is "inconceivable", but rural and suburban Texas is big on owning the latest weapons.

Finally, Texas is America. There have been so many people moving to Texas from Illinois, California, New York, Minnesota, Florida, Nebraska, New Mexico, and Mexico, that the state is a mini reflection of the US. All of these people have friends and families across the country. It is unlikely that Texas would do something that is so harmful to the remainder of the country that they would want to invade.

:dance: :lol:

DemonGeminiX
06-27-2016, 10:23 PM
Bullshit.

26 million+ people won't fight. I doubt 1 million people will fight. You'd be lucky if 1% would fight. The vast majority of that 26 million will tell you to go suck an egg and roll over if the fighting starts. Or they probably wouldn't even give you the time of day to begin with. That's human nature. Court challenges that'll end up in front of the Supreme Court faster than you can say "Yeehaw", where the less than 1% of secessionist Texans will be told that what they're doing is illegal, if the feds don't arrest those disorganized morons first. There won't be any political compromises for a bunch of whiny bitches that are less than 1% of the state's population.

Whoever wrote that obviously doesn't have a grasp on psychology and military strategy. The 10% of the military boys from Texas would be strategically deployed somewhere else far away from Texas, and the part of the military, national guard, and federal law enforcement that descends on the lone star state will be from... wait for it... elsewhere. That's 90% of the military left to kick the asses of the less than 1% that think they're something special. Plus the national guard, plus federal law enforcement, plus whatever residents of Texas that are sick of the shit the idiots have started and end up volunteering to kick the asses of the less than 1% idiots. They'll have no problem opening fire on those less than 1% idiots.

Texas is America... and America won't secede from itself. Furthermore, those people from elsewhere in the country won't support a secession from the union, so you just lost all of whoever that came from somewhere else. More than 99% of your native population won't support a secession, because they're not idiots. In fact, they'll probably fight against you guys themselves... or at the very least tell you guys to grow the hell up and stop being little sniveling whiny bitches... then report individuals to the Feds.

Remember the Oregon Militia Standoff? Where they were calling for everybody else in the country to rise up against the US government? Remember how that turned out? That's exactly what's going to happen to any secessionist movement in Texas, if anybody actually takes it seriously at all to begin with.

Loser
06-28-2016, 06:22 AM
Bundy went into a town where he wasn't wanted and asked people to stand up with them.

Kind of a difference.

Either way, the US would never start a war with texas if it seceeded. It would economically sanction the shit out of it.

FBD
06-28-2016, 01:40 PM
out of interest do you think a state on the main land US could go independent ? the easy options would be alaska and hawaii because of there location

The last time some folks told the federal government "we're not going to continue to be responsible for your dangerous financial recklessness, we're outta here" we had the Civil War, because apparently the declaration of independence is only valid for the USA and not any single state or group of states.

I'd love to see it happen, but good luck with that, that will lead to civil war 2 except there's no black slavery to blame the whole ordeal on any longer.

redred
06-28-2016, 01:52 PM
Can't you guys just have a vote rather than a war, I think that's a lot of your problems, always looking for a fight :lol:

FBD
06-28-2016, 02:58 PM
"Those who would make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable"

Red, when you get shown time and again that the electoral process appears to be well captured, to the point that there is no longer anything the citizenry can do about it, then your options get narrowed.

That said, if ANY state were to stand up to the feds, my money would be on texans.

Muddy
06-28-2016, 03:23 PM
"Those who would make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable"

Red, when you get shown time and again that the electoral process appears to be well captured, to the point that there is no longer anything the citizenry can do about it, then your options get narrowed.

That said, if ANY state were to stand up to the feds, my money would be on texans.

:kissass:

Loser
06-28-2016, 03:38 PM
Can't you guys just have a vote rather than a war, I think that's a lot of your problems, always looking for a fight :lol:

Of the 239 years this has been a country, we've been at war for 222 years of that. ;)

fricnjay
06-28-2016, 03:41 PM

I think people underestimate how militant the state is as a whole and how armed we all are.

redred
06-28-2016, 03:48 PM
Of the 239 years this has been a country, we've been at war for 222 years of that. ;)
Nasty folk aren't you :lol:

Muddy
06-28-2016, 03:57 PM
Nasty folk aren't you :lol:

You guys got us in this mess!!! :lol:

redred
06-28-2016, 04:43 PM
You guys got us in this mess!!! :lol:
That was a long time ago :lol: get over it

DemonGeminiX
06-28-2016, 04:48 PM
I think people underestimate how militant the state is as a whole and how armed we all are.

I think you overestimate your chances and your resolve. But hey, being proud is cool. Just remember, pride goeth before the fall.

Muddy
06-28-2016, 04:59 PM
That was a long time ago :lol: get over it

:racist:

FBD
06-28-2016, 05:27 PM
:lol: wha, you think ol vir-gin-ee would rank in that one?