PDA

View Full Version : These Four States Want to Test a Mileage Tax

DemonGeminiX
06-27-2016, 12:32 PM
Four Eastern states are working on implementing a mileage tax.

The I-95 Corridor Coalition, which represents transportation agencies, toll authorities, and related organizations, applied for a federal grant last month. The Washington Post reports that the funding would allow Delaware, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and New Hampshire to test methods that could replace a gas tax, charging drivers a fee based on how many miles they've driven to fill “the gaping hole” in the country’s transportation funding.

“The idea is to get folks comfortable that mileage-based user fees are a feasible, reasonable and easy-to-use approach,” executive director of the I-95 coalition Patricia G. Hendren told the Post. The concept has been tried already in Oregon, and California will begin testing it next month.

However, a mileage tax has been very unpopular among the public. A recent survey by the Mineta Transportation Institute found that support ranged between 23% and 48%, depending on how the question was asked. It had more support when the hypothetical tax depended on the amount of pollution a driver’s car emits.

Various methods are being considered including a counting device plugged into the car, a device hooked up to gas pumps, cellphone apps, and GPS. Hendren said that any approach that’s implemented “will offer the option to simply pay an annual fee.”

Delaware’s secretary of transportation and chair of the coalition, Jennifer Cohan, explained that even though a mileage tax is unpopular, they essentially have no choice. “Reliance on the gas tax as a major contributor to funding transportation is no longer a viable option,” she told the Post. The federal gas tax hasn't been raised in more than two decades and currently stands at 18.4 cents per gallon, and efforts to increase it have been unsuccessful.

“Whatever it ends up being, at least we’ll have data,” Cohan said about testing the mileage tax. “We’ll actually have something to show: This is what it will look like if we actually implement it.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/these-four-states-want-to-test-a-mileage-tax/ar-AAhEDGQ?li=BBnbfcL

perrhaps
06-28-2016, 08:57 AM
Because this makes sense, it will never happen.

redred
06-28-2016, 09:06 AM
what is mileage tax ?

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2016, 10:21 AM
what is mileage tax ?

They will put some kind of device in your car to track how far you have driven and tax you based on that.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2016, 10:22 AM
Because this makes sense, it will never happen.

This only makes sense for hybrids or electric cars. It's none of the governments business how far (or where for that matter) that I drive my gasoline powered vehicle since I already pay state and federal fuel tax.

FBD
06-28-2016, 01:43 PM
another fuck the populace gambit by the government....gas tax aint enough? :hand: get your shitty grubby hands a better grasp on the financial situation of your state, dont introduce yet another tax.

they gave tax incentives for people to drive more fuel efficient cars, now they want to extract more revenue because....why, did it REALLY lead to a decline in tax scalpings? my ass it did.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-28-2016, 01:48 PM
another fuck the populace gambit by the government....gas tax aint enough? :hand: get your shitty grubby hands a better grasp on the financial situation of your state, dont introduce yet another tax.

they gave tax incentives for people to drive more fuel efficient cars, now they want to extract more revenue because....why, did it REALLY lead to a decline in tax scalpings? my ass it did.

It's the same here in Denver metro with water. When the drought was really bad here a few years ago, they put water restrictions in place and pleaded for people to use less water. So, when people finally did start using less water, they realized they weren't taking in enough money, so they raised all the water rates to make up for everyone conserving water like we were told to do :|

perrhaps
06-29-2016, 08:37 AM
This only makes sense for hybrids or electric cars. It's none of the governments business how far (or where for that matter) that I drive my gasoline powered vehicle since I already pay state and federal fuel tax.

Except the article says you'll no longer pay state gasoline tax.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-29-2016, 10:32 AM
Except the article says you'll no longer pay state gasoline tax.

And you believe them?!?!?!?! :lmao:

:empathy:

When have you know the government to ever give up a tax?