PDA

View Full Version : Drug-resistant 'super bacteria' discovered in Rio waters as Olympics draw closer

Teh One Who Knocks
07-05-2016, 01:03 PM
By Brent Axe - Syracuse.com

http://i.imgur.com/NIeG0dI.jpg

You can add a "super bacteria" to the list of concerns for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio.

According to CNN, Brazilian scientists have detected a drug-resistant bacteria growing off the shores of some of Rio de Janeiro's beaches, one month before they're due to host the 2016 Olympic Games.

According to lead researcher Renata Picao, the "super bacteria" entered the city's waterways when sewage coming from local hospitals got channeled into the bay.

"We have been looking for 'super bacteria' in coastal waters during a one year period in five beaches," Picao told CNN, during a visit to her lab. "We found that the threats occur in coastal waters in a variety of concentrations and that they are strongly associated with pollution."

Flamengo and Botafogo, which border the bay where Olympic sailors are scheduled to compete, were among the beaches found to contain the bacteria.

German Paralympic sailer Heiko Kroger told CNN he believes the super bacteria may have caused a severe skin infection in one of his teammates during training.

"It's a nice sailing area but every time you get some water in your face, it feels like there's some alien enemy entering your face," Kroger said. "I keep my nose and my lips closed."

Rio's water utility, Cedae, says it follows the criteria established by the World Health Organization.

"Fifty one percent of the city's sewage is now treated," production director Edes de Oliveira told CNN. "Seven years ago it was only 11%."

Despite concerns over the "super bacteria" in nearby beaches and previous reports of poor water quality in Rio, authorities have not recommended moving the sailing venue.

The "super bacteria" adds to a growing list of problems surrounding the Rio games.

Concerns over the presence of the Zika Virus have caused several athletes, including golfer Rory McIlroy, to pull out of the Olympics.

Rio de Janeiro is in the midst of an economic and political crisis, having recently declared a financial emergency.

Violence has plagued the city and local police and firefighters have been protesting at the city's airport, claiming they haven't been paid for months and warning tourists they wouldn't be able to protect them.

FBD
07-05-2016, 01:48 PM
zika has been around a long time and never had any of these symptoms that they are blaming on zika

deebakes
07-05-2016, 11:31 PM
:excellent:

PorkChopSandwiches
07-06-2016, 05:30 PM
I wonder how many people will not attend this olympics

Teh One Who Knocks
07-06-2016, 05:38 PM
I wonder how many people will not attend this olympics

Even if I had paid for the trip, I wouldn't go, even if I couldn't get my money back.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I would imagine a lot of the athletes my say fuck it too. But, I guess we will see. It would be tough to turn down something you have been working your whole life for

deebakes
07-07-2016, 12:22 AM
winning should be easy :shrug:

Godfather
07-07-2016, 04:02 AM
Old college friend of mine qualified for men's 470 in Rio. Guy just lives for that shit, he wouldn't care if they were racing in raw sewage (which they almost are). That dude is going :lol: