PDA

View Full Version : US Supreme Court Justice: "If Trump Wins, It's Time To Move To New Zealand"

FBD
07-11-2016, 07:22 PM
In what we can assume was a joke, Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said that if Donald Trump wins the presidential election, she’ll consider moving. In an interview with The New York Times published Sunday, the Supreme Court justice, whose peers traditionally avoid political topics like the plague, said her husband, who died in 2010, would have said, "Now it’s time for us to move to New Zealand."

“I can’t imagine what the country would be with Donald Trump as our president,” she said. “For the country, it could be four years. For the court, it could be — I don’t even want to contemplate that.”

As The Hill adds, Ginsburg, 83, said she will not leave her job “as long as I can do it full steam.” But she mentioned that that Justices Anthony M. Kennedy and Stephen G. Breyer are no longer young, alluding to the effect the presidential election will have on the court.

As the NYT adds, her colleagues have said nothing in public about the presidential campaign or about Mr. Obama’s stalled nomination of Judge Merrick B. Garland to the Supreme Court. But Justice Ginsburg was characteristically forthright, offering an unequivocal endorsement of Judge Garland to fill the vacancy left by the death of Antonin Scalia.

“I think he is about as well qualified as any nominee to this court,” she said. “Super bright and very nice, very easy to deal with. And super prepared. He would be a great colleague.”

Asked if the Senate had an obligation to assess Judge Garland’s qualifications, her answer was immediate. “That’s their job,” she said. “There’s nothing in the Constitution that says the president stops being president in his last year.”

We now await Trump's tweeted response, together with Bader Ginsburg's one-way ticket to Wellington fedexed courtesy of the Trump campaign.

Oofty Goofty
07-11-2016, 10:36 PM
Does she need help packing?

RBP
07-11-2016, 11:06 PM
But she was saying what her husband would have said. What a poorly written crap article. Where's that from?

Teh One Who Knocks
07-11-2016, 11:27 PM
But she was saying what her husband would have said. What a poorly written crap article. Where's that from?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-07-11/us-supreme-court-justice-if-trump-wins-its-time-move-new-zealand

RBP
07-11-2016, 11:28 PM
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-07-11/us-supreme-court-justice-if-trump-wins-its-time-move-new-zealand

Oh. Right. Of course.

DemonGeminiX
07-11-2016, 11:29 PM
:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-11-2016, 11:30 PM
Oh. Right. Of course.

Like you had to ask ;) :lol:

redred
07-12-2016, 06:04 AM
:lol: busted

FBD
07-12-2016, 01:16 PM
:hand: check a little better for where the source really is. ZH does not really "write articles"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/11/us/politics/ruth-bader-ginsburg-no-fan-of-donald-trump-critiques-latest-term.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=nytpolitics&smtyp=cur

no different than rolling your eyes at a drudge link :haha:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-12-2016, 01:19 PM
:hand: check a little better for where the source really is. ZH does not really "write articles"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/11/us/politics/ruth-bader-ginsburg-no-fan-of-donald-trump-critiques-latest-term.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=nytpolitics&smtyp=cur

no different than rolling your eyes at a drudge link :haha:

:wrong:

What you posted in the OP came from Zerohedge

FBD
07-12-2016, 01:25 PM
ooooo.......2 sentences :slap:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-14-2016, 02:50 PM
FOX News

DEVELOPING ...

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said Thursday she regrets the critical comments she made about presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, after facing a bipartisan backlash.

“On reflection, my recent remarks in response to press inquiries were ill-advised and I regret making them. Judges should avoid commenting on a candidate for public office. In the future I will be more circumspect,” she said in a statement.

Ginsburg had given an interview to The New York Times saying she didn’t “even want to contemplate” the country and court under a President Trump.

She later called him a “faker” in a separate interview.

FBD
07-14-2016, 03:22 PM
yeah imagine a country that cant railroad its citizens and "pass into law" unconstitutional legislation :roll:

quotes because when something doesnt pass properly and get properly ratified, it legally carries no force of law (but they will certainly try to convince you otherwise)