PDA

View Full Version : E Street Band's Clarence Clemons Dead at 69

Teh One Who Knocks
06-19-2011, 11:50 AM
by Joal Ryan - E! Online

http://i.imgur.com/S4zqR.jpg

The Boss has lost the Big Man.

Clarence Clemons, whose beefy saxophone powered Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band in the studio and on the road for nearly 40 years, died today, June 18th, after suffering a stroke. He was 69.

"The saxophone is really an extension of me," he said in a 2008 interview. "It's what I'm saying without words."

Clemons recorded solo albums, appeared as an actor in everything from The Wire to Diff'rent Strokes and wailed with the likes of the Grateful Dead, Ringo Starr and Roy Orbison. Most recently he accompanied Lady Gaga on her latest single "The Edge of Glory."

But it's his work with Springsteen that made him stand even taller than his six-foot-three-inches.

"When I first met him, I didn't want to let go, and he didn't want to let go," Clemons told the Associated Press in 2009.

Clemons and Springsteen first jammed in 1971. Both were playing clubs in Asbury Park, N.J.: the sax man at the Wonder Bar; the rocker at the Student Prince. When Clemons went to see Springsteen's act, legend has it, a guest of wind blew open the Student Prince's door. No less than fate—or Mother Nature—ensured an introduction.

In 1973, Springsteen, backed by the crew that would become known as the E Street Band, released his first album, Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. Clemons was there from the first track, "Blinded by the Light."

Two years later, Born to Run made them all legends. In the forward to Clemons' 2009 memoir, Springsteen argued that the album sang even before it was played.

"When you look at just the cover of Born to Run, you see a charming photo, a good album cover," he wrote of the iconic fold-out, "but when you open it up and see Clarence and me together, the album begins to work its magic."

Born in 1942 in Virginia, Clemons had been slowed in recent years to the point of needing of a wheelchair. He endured back surgery and double-knee replacement. But he didn't stop playing, touring or standing.

The E Street Band lost keyboard player Danny Federici in 2008.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Bruce Springsteen Speaks on the "Immeasurable" Loss of Clarence Clemons
by EOL Staff

The Big Man will be missed, indeed.

Fresh off the news that his E Street Band sax man Clarence Clemons had passed away, Bruce Springsteen took to his website tonight to share a few loving words about his longtime friend:

"Clarence lived a wonderful life," The Boss writes. "He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage.

"His loss is immeasurable and we are honored and thankful to have known him and had the opportunity to stand beside him for nearly forty years. He was my great friend, my partner, and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music.

"His life, his memory and his love will live on in that story and in our band."

We're sure Bruce will not be the last to speak out, as Clarence greatly influenced many artists working in the music industry, from Lady Gaga to The Grateful Dead.

Rest in peace, Clarence.

SmoothBob
06-19-2011, 04:36 PM
I was just speaking about him to my wife the other day and now he's deed!

RIP Mr Saxophone!

redred
06-19-2011, 04:44 PM
:rip:

Hal-9000
06-21-2011, 04:31 PM
that guy COULD PLAY....

RIP Clarence :(

Noilly Pratt
06-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Before hearing Clarence Clemons and the E Street band, I thought "yeah sure, the sax can honk in the background and give a party atmosphere a la "Brown Sugar". But Clarence took it to the stratosphere. He darkened or lightened the mood by varying the style

Here he is in full effect with Jackson Browne...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x6wTW3GbfU

Hal-9000
06-21-2011, 05:17 PM
and..he's the only guy in history name Clarence who never got beat up because of it :thumbsup:

Before hearing Clarence Clemons and the E Street band, I thought "yeah sure, the sax can honk in the background and give a party atmosphere a la "Brown Sugar". But Clarence took it to the stratosphere. He darkened or lightened the mood by varying the style

Here he is in full effect with Jackson Browne...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x6wTW3GbfU