PDA

View Full Version : 'Black Olives Matter' Billboard Sparks Outrage

Teh One Who Knocks
07-20-2016, 10:57 AM
By Sarah Zimmerman - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/PnS0L1Y.jpg

In the midst of national outrage over the fatal shootings of two black men by police officers, an Italian restaurant in New Mexico is now the site of internet ire after a promotional billboard played off the Black Lives Matter slogan.

The board, which read "Black Olives Matter, Try Our Tapenade" was meant to advertise the Paisano's weekly specials, according to The Washington Post. Owner Rick Camuglia posted a photo of the marquee on Facebook, hoping to get a laugh.

"We put up what we thought was a cute play on words, which we do commonly here at the restaurant," he told KOB. "We were trying to promote our pan-seared Ahi tuna with a black olive tapenade relish."

The post quickly went viral and received intense internet backlash. People called the joke "tacky," "offensive," and trivializing of the Black Lives Matter movement.

One post read, according to The Washington Post:

As a woman of color I find your posting offensive and in very bad taste. You simply wish to rub salt in an ugly festering wound which evil minded people refuse to allow to heal. The civilized world No longer has any tolerance for your hateful public display of what passes to you as humor. Young men and women are dying have a shred of humanity.

The restaurant has since removed the post from social media and taken down the marquee. Some Facebook users also report that their comments against the billboard have been removed from the restaurant's page.

"We didn’t think anybody would be offended by that," Camuglia said to KRQE. "It was not our intent to offend anybody. I think if that offends some people, a statement about black olives, that somebody needs to reevaluate their politically correct meter."

Some users, however, came to Camulgia's defense. "As a chef I understand that you weren’t trying to be [offensive]," someone wrote according to The Washington Post. "In our industry [humor] is the only thing that takes the stress away from our job. It’s unfortunate [that] only people who work in the trade will understand."

In a statement released on its Facebook page, the restaurant thanked customers for their support and reported that their tapenade special has been selling especially well. "I can’t count the number of customer’s orders who’ve included adding Black Olives to every dish ordered," the statement read. "... we almost ran out [of Black Olives] and ordered more."

Many found the sign especially insensitive given the fatal police shootings of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile. Both sparked national outrage and protest, including one event in Dallas in which five officers were killed and seven others injured.

Camulgia, however, has no regrets about his sign. “I think it shows an interesting state of affairs of where our country is that people ... can be offended by a statement about a vegetable,” he added to KOB. “Black olives matter, and it does matter in our tapenade.”

Godfather
07-20-2016, 05:47 PM
My wife hates black olives. I told her it really triggers me when she picks the black olives off the pizza just to get down to the white cheese. The pizza privilege is sickening. It needs to end.

She tried to tell me #alltoppingsmatter and that's hatespeach and I won't tolerate these microaggressions against olives any longer. I just had to go sit in my safe space and cool off, with some Dominos. I won't be a slave to her institutional pizza discrimination. This is #rape #rapeculture #BOM

PorkChopSandwiches
07-20-2016, 05:49 PM
:rofl:

Godfather
07-20-2016, 08:42 PM
Don't even get me started on her not eating black-forest ham. "Ohh the edges are no good, I like honey ham". Listen honey...

Teh One Who Knocks
07-20-2016, 10:22 PM
And while we're on the topic, why is it that green olives come in a jar, but black olives are always in a can? Maybe the black olives would like to be in a jar where they can be seen, but oh no, they're locked away in a can.

Griffin
07-20-2016, 10:59 PM
but oh no, they're locked away in a can.

It all goes back to life choices! They get locked away in the can for a reason.
No virgin oil from those olives either.

Godfather
07-21-2016, 12:05 AM
And while we're on the topic, why is it that green olives come in a jar, but black olives are always in a can? Maybe the black olives would like to be in a jar where they can be seen, but oh no, they're locked away in a can.

Jesus you're right. Should we rally or just jump straight to the violence?

Teh One Who Knocks
07-25-2016, 11:06 AM
By Sky McCarthy - FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/NUmHDnH.jpg

The owner of an Italian restaurant in New Mexico says he’s seen a surge in business after posting a billboard that featured a food-centric pun playing off the Black Lives Matter slogan.

Rick Camuglia, owner of Paisano’s in Albuquerque, posted what he thought would be a well-received joke on the marquee sign in front of his restaurant last week. It read:

"BLACK OLIVES MATTER — TRY OUR TAPENADE."

“We’re currently offering a special seared ahi tuna with a black olive tapenade,” Camuglia told FoxNews.com. “My chef had prepared the topping and placed it in the fridge. He wrote ‘Black Olives Matter’ on the container and I thought it was hilarious. So we put it on the marquee.”

Eager to promote the seasonal fish dish, Camuglia also posted a picture of the sign to his restaurant’s Facebook page.

But the restaurant owner never expected the post to go viral.

“It wasn’t a mistake to put up the billboard,” says Camuglia, “but it was a mistake to post it on Facebook.”

Within hours of Paisano’s post, Camuglia says the page was flooded with negative comments and the restaurant was inundated with phone calls.

“People were calling us racist. Saying we were a white supremacist restaurant. Some got really derogatory and just started cursing me out.”

On Twitter and other social media platforms, many echoed similar sentiments.Facebook comments included, “How insensitive,” “Very poor taste” and “What the hell is wrong with you people?”

Despite the virtual vitriol, Camuglia says there’s been a major upside to the post—big business.

“Our phone has also been ringing off the hook with people making reservations. People are placing carry-out orders in the high hundreds,” says the restaurant owner. “And they’re asking for black olives on everything. Black olives on the salad, ‘I’ll have extra black olives on my sausage sandwich’—we’ve had to order more from our supplier.”

Paisano’s has been family owned and operated since the 1970s. Unlike many traditional Italian restaurants, the Albuquerque eatery specializes in homemade gluten-free pastas. Now locals, and many others, just want more.

“We’ve had customers coming over from California, people even calling in from Australia.”

Despite the uptick in business, Camuglia says he wasn’t personally immune to the criticism. His restaurant is known for posting witty signs to drum up business—a previous post read “Gluten-us Minimus for your Gluteus Maximus”-- but nothing has gone national until now.

The president of the Albuquerque branch of the NAACP weighed in on the matter, providing a statement to KRQE:

“The posted sign at Paisano’s Restaurant that included the phrase ‘Black Olives Matter’ is a nice marketing idea,” Harold Bailey wrote. “However, with all of the national uproar, demonstrations and marches, regarding the shooting of African American men and youth by police officers, the Albuquerque NAACP feels that it was in bad taste….

“Hopefully, the owners at Paisano’s will be a bit more sensitive in the future. Unjustified killing of innocent Black men is nothing to joke about. Whether it was intentional or not, it sent the wrong message to many.”

On Friday, Camuglia took down the sign due to the continuous barrage of Internet harassment but he thanked the Albuquerque community and his customers for boosting his business in a Facebook post.

But he still remains unapologetic.

“Our intention was never to offend or hurt anybody,” he says, “But all of this just says a lot about the state of our society when you can’t even make a simple statement about a fruit without people attacking you. People may need to recalibrate their politically correct meter.”

The sign may be gone but the dish lives on. The Ahi tuna special is still on the menu—Camuglia says it’s delicious—and it costs $28.95.