PDA

View Full Version : Video Shows Unarmed Black Man Pleading With Arms Raised Before Getting Shot by Police

Teh One Who Knocks
07-21-2016, 11:17 AM
Hudson Hongo - Gawker

http://i.imgur.com/qtaTZdN.png

On Wednesday, WSVN aired a cell phone video reportedly taken moments before caregiver Charles Kinsey was shot by North Miami police. In it, Kinsey, who survived, can be seen lying on the ground with his hands raised, explaining that him and the autistic man he was assisting are unarmed.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New video shows moments before <a href="https://twitter.com/NorthMiamiPD">@NorthMiamiPD</a> shot unarmed man with hands in air: <a href="https://t.co/YbXRNBaDVR">https://t.co/YbXRNBaDVR</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/BrianEntin">@BrianEntin</a> <a href="https://t.co/UKHHIYd00z">https://t.co/UKHHIYd00z</a></p>&mdash; WSVN 7 News (@wsvn) <a href="https://twitter.com/wsvn/status/755896679476244480">July 20, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
“I thought it was a mosquito bite, and when it hit me I had my hands in the air, and I’m thinking I just got shot!” Kinsey told WSVN. “And I’m saying, ‘Sir, why did you shoot me?’ and his words to me were, ‘I don’t know.’”

According to police, officers were dispatched to the scene of the shooting on Monday after getting a 911 call about a man with a gun threatening suicide.

“Arriving officers attempted to negotiate with two men on the scene, one of whom was later identified as suffering from autism,” said North Miami Police in a statement. “At some point during the on-scene negotiation, one of the responding officers discharged his weapon, striking the employee.”

According to WPLG, police later said the autistic man “had something in his hand.” In the video, Kinsey can be heard identifying the object as a toy truck.

After shooting him, Kinsey says police put him in handcuffs.

North Miami Police say the officer who shot Kinsey has been placed on administrative leave, but have not released the officer’s name or said if he will face any charges.

redred
07-21-2016, 11:35 AM
:facepalm: not getting any better is it

RBP
07-21-2016, 12:11 PM
:facepalm: not getting any better is it

what's not?

redred
07-21-2016, 12:22 PM
police shooting people that don't really need to be shot or people shooting cops

Goofy
07-21-2016, 12:47 PM
:pewpew:

RBP
07-21-2016, 01:01 PM
police shooting people that don't really need to be shot or people shooting cops

Hopefully the cop massacres calmed things down, but probably not.

FBD
07-21-2016, 01:05 PM
I dont know :facepalm:

turn in your badge and get away, asshole

RBP
07-21-2016, 01:07 PM
I dont know :facepalm:

turn in your badge and get away, asshole

But that's the point with all these. We don't know anything about it because the investigation hasn't taken place. But we'll see this 24/7 and the narrative will have been written, facts be damned.

FBD
07-21-2016, 01:09 PM
:lol: yeah, hell with what the victim said, we need an official investigation to determine what happened, hell with that video too :facepalm:

RBP
07-21-2016, 01:15 PM
:roll:

Man am I dumb. I mean, the entire premise of "hands up, don't shoot" is totally fact based. totally.

FBD
07-21-2016, 01:25 PM
:facepalm:

one quote

"I dont know"

why I shot you

the fuck????

RBP
07-21-2016, 01:28 PM
I would hope that we can be better than the press and the spin doctors and wait to have actual facts.

This should keep you busy in the meantime: http://killedbypolice.net/

:lol:

FBD
07-21-2016, 02:31 PM
actual facts :lol:

like "building 7 was destroyed by random fire" "actual facts?" :lol:

RBP
07-21-2016, 02:33 PM

Muddy
07-21-2016, 02:53 PM
ohh boy.. :lol:

FBD
07-21-2016, 03:29 PM
cmon it was on video! :lol: we all saw the fire, we all saw it collapse.....a.....right to b.....what's there to miss? it was on the news, they even announced it before it happened! :lol:

Godfather
07-21-2016, 04:40 PM
“I thought it was a mosquito bite, and when it hit me I had my hands in the air, and I’m thinking I just got shot!” Kinsey told WSVN. “And I’m saying, ‘Sir, why did you shoot me?’ and his words to me were, ‘I don’t know.’”

Alright this one is brutal.

If I hear this Cop gets internally investigated, put on 2-weeks paid leave, and then the investigation is dropped, I'll be sick. Thank god the guy survived. Trying to help his autistic patient playing there with a toy truck, gets shot lying down with hands in the air. Who is training this cop?

PorkChopSandwiches
07-21-2016, 04:48 PM
Wow

FBD
07-21-2016, 04:57 PM

Alright this one is brutal.

If I hear this Cop gets internally investigated, put on 2-weeks paid leave, and then all charges are dropped, I'll be sick. Thank god the guy survived. Trying to help his autistic patient playing there with a toy truck, gets shot lying down with hands in the air. Who is training this cop?

the country we're protecting over in the ME ;)

Loser
07-21-2016, 06:32 PM
Well, when police departments were forced to dumb down their entrance exams, because of affirmative action, shit like this was bound to happen.

Have any of you ever seen one of these exams?

A third grader, 20 years ago, could pass that shit. I'm not kidding you.

-edit-

Here you go.

http://www.richmondgov.com/police/documents%5CRecruitPracticeTest.pdf

Remember, they arm these people and entrust them to make life or death decisions. :bye:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-22-2016, 11:09 AM
BY Meg Wagner and Ginger Adams Otis - NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

http://i.imgur.com/A3JwBLU.jpg

The Florida cop who shot an unarmed therapist on the street was actually aiming for the man’s autistic patient, a union official said Wednesday.

The North Miami police officer thought Charles Kinsey — who was lying on his back with his arms in the air — was in danger, his union chief said.

The officer meant to hit the autistic man Kinsey was trying to help — and he fired three times, according to North Miami police.

But he missed the patient, and hit Kinsey instead, the union chief explained. The cop feared the confused autistic patient — holding a toy truck as he sat next to Kinsey on the pavement — might have posed a safety threat, the labor leader said.

The officer, whose name has not yet been released, could face charges if his actions are deemed criminal.

“I took this job to save lives and help people,” the cop said in a statement released by the union. “I did what I had to do in a split second to accomplish that and hate to hear others paint me as something I’m not.”

North Miami Police Chief Gary Eugene on Thursday said the investigation had been turned over to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the office of the state’s attorney.

He called it a “very sensitive matter” and promised a transparent investigation, but he refused to identify the officer or answer reporters’ questions following the news conference.

“I realize there are many questions about what happened on Monday night. You have questions, the community has questions, we as a city, we as a member of this police department and I also have questions,” he said.

“I assure you we will get all the answers," he added.

The officer, who was placed on administrative leave, regrets the error and wishes Kinsey a speedy recovery, the police union chief said.

Kinsey, 47, has been recuperating in a local hospital from the gunshot wound he suffered Monday.

The behavioral therapist said he was comforting his patient, who ran away from the group home where Kinsey works.

When North Miami police arrived on the scene, the black therapist feared cops would mistake the 27-year-old patient’s toy truck for a weapon.

Kinsey lay on his back on the street and put his arms in the air to show his hands were empty.

“I’m going to the ground, just like this with my hands up,” he told a local news station from his hospital room as he raised his arms above his head.

“And I'm telling him again, ‘Sir, there's no need for firearms. I’m unarmed. This is an autistic guy, He has a toy truck in his hand.’”

But the cops — who had drawn their weapons — didn’t put them away, even when Kinsey shouted that he was a therapist who worked at the nearby group home.

He also shouted warnings that his patient was autistic and held a toy — not a gun.

Kinsey thought it was enough to keep him safe, but after several long minutes, one of the cops shot him anyway, striking him in the leg.

“As long as I’ve got my hands up, they’re not going to shoot me,” Kinsey said. “This is what I’m thinking: ‘They're not going to shoot me.’ Wow, was I wrong.”

When cops approached the bleeding, wounded man, the therapist asked the officer who pulled the trigger why he’d been shot.

“He said, ‘I don't know,’” Kinsey recalled.

The autistic patient was unharmed.

Police said the officer involved in the shooting was responding to a 911 call about a man with a gun threatening to kill himself.

Kinsey said he believed the cop thought the autistic patient was the suspect — and that the toy truck was a gun.

Attorney General Loretta Lynch said the Justice Department was aware of the police shooting and working with local law enforcement to gather as many facts as possible about what occurred.

But it was too early to tell if the Justice Department would open its own civil rights investigation, she added.

The shooting comes amid weeks of violence involving police.

Five officers were killed in Dallas two weeks ago and three law enforcement officers were gunned down Sunday in Baton Rouge, La.

Before those shootings, a black man, Alton Sterling, 37, was fatally shot during a scuffle with two white officers at a convenience store.

In Minnesota, 32-year-old Philando Castile, who was also black, was shot to death during a traffic stop.

Cellphone videos captured Sterling’s killing and aftermath of Castile’s shooting, prompting nationwide protests over the treatment of blacks by police.

RBP
07-22-2016, 12:22 PM
Cop made a bad call. Maybe he or she shouldn't be a cop. Next.

FBD
07-22-2016, 12:40 PM
wtf sense does it make, police show up to prevent someone from suicide, and then wholly intend to shoot the fucking person they are supposedly saving from suicide?

oh wait this is cops I'm talking about :roll:

I always did love the story from my buddy's ol dad about his buddy back in the 70s that drove out to vegas in some really fast car, racked up prolly 2500 in speeding tickets on the trip - but this one green idiot cop pulls him going well over 100 and has him get out of the car, he goes up to him with gun drawn, shaking like a leaf in a hurricane - and he got so close to pop's friend that he snapped and whipped the gun right out of the cop's hand and tossed it in the seat of the car. Then said sorry kid that thing looked like it was going to pop off any second. Cop takes him in to the station and brings him into the chief's office, pop's buddy sits down and tells the chief....look, sir, I dont know what sort of training you guys have had here, but *lifts shirt* your officer never even checked to find my sidearm here, so I wanted to let you know....

chief apologized and showed him the door...

(this was actually a quasi gangerster-ish guy that literally talked out the side of his mouth :lol: I met im once or twice, he's gotta be late 70s early 80s by now)

yeah, like that'd happen these days :lol:

Godfather
07-22-2016, 05:54 PM
They didn't respond for 2 days and the excuse the police came up with was they were protecting the guy? :lol: Nice work PR team.

Here is a comprehensive list of fuckups on this one:

1. Did not listen to the therapist that there was no weapon.
2. Could not see the toy truck obviously did not resemble a gun.
3. Told the therapist to lie down when it was the autistic guy with the "gun"
4. Were positioned at such a distance as to have no ability to deescalate the situation even if they wanted to.
5. Even though they apparently couldn't assertain that the autistic guy wasn't holding a gun, they attempted to kill him for making a move to "sit down next to the therapist".
6. If this were a legit threatening situation, the officer missed all three shots at the guy. With a rifle. From 50-yards.
7. Handcuffed both of them despite there being no legitimate reason to do so.
8. Did not apply first aid to the therapist.
9. An officer falsely reported that the autistic man was loading his weapon, which resulted in the accused officer taking potentially lethal action while also apparently not being able to see the situation.
10. Approached a reported suicide attempt with guns drawn.
11. Shot the wrong guy.
12. When asked why the officer shot the therapist, the officer replied, "I don't know".
13. Neither officer/s thought to radio in request for binoculars.

Pony
07-22-2016, 07:52 PM
Florida cop who shot unarmed therapist was aiming for his autistic patient

Of course, the bullet naturally steered toward the darkest skin.

RBP
07-23-2016, 07:09 AM
Of course, the bullet naturally steered toward the darkest skin.

Bullet design flaw. :dunno: