PDA

View Full Version : Pip's Original Doughnuts lands in hot water for vegan-free hiring practices

Teh One Who Knocks
07-26-2016, 11:22 AM
By Samantha Bakall | The Oregonian/OregonLive

http://i.imgur.com/qKcFJI6.jpg

A popular Portland mini doughnut shop has found itself in the midst of a hiring flap after including a prohibition against dietary restrictions in its help-wanted ad.

On July 21, Northeast Portland's Pip's Original Doughnuts listed a Poached Jobs ad looking for a new barista that has basic skills, a friendly, outgoing personality and "no non-medical, non-religious dietary restrictions."

According to a Facebook post from co-owner Nate Snell, many have taken to Facebook and email to voice their displeasure with ad, which seems to exclude vegetarians in what PETA honored in April as the most vegan-friendly city in America.

According to the Poached Jobs ad, any non-medical, non-religious dietary restrictions "would stop you from tasting, accurately representing our treats and maintaining quality control."

"After receiving as much hate email as we have in the last two days, I'm more steadfast and sure of our position than ever," Snell wrote in a lengthy Facebook comment. "I'd rather have the freedom to run my business in a way that is both lawful and representative of my own hard-earned right of choice than capitulate to bullying, fear tactics and intimidation."

http://i.imgur.com/R6ma82g.jpg

Some commenters have argued that the requirement might be illegal. Under federal anti-discrimination law, dietary preference is not a protected class.

"As someone whose religion requires me to eat a kosher diet, I am deeply offended," Dave Hobson wrote in a one-star review on Facebook. "If I wanted to apply for this job, I'd be turned away due to my religious views. I do believe this practice can get you in trouble."

Others discussed the unfairness of the practice.

"Wow! To not hire otherwise qualified workers, because they make a particular dietary choice is unfair," Danette Teegobra wrote. "There are plenty of alternative lifestyle individuals in Portland who work at establishments that serve meat and dairy."

For those who are vegetarian or vegan and would like to apply, Snell invited applicants to send a "respectful email explaining why you are vegan but still feel like you can work at our shop and suggest some workarounds." In the Facebook posting Snell noted that the shop serves bacon.

"I've had employees in the past decide to radically change their diets to the point where they can not longer eat what we're serving and it's created health safety issues and compromised the excellence and integrity of our product," Snell explained. "I would rather not deal with that again by being upfront and clear and what our expectations are."

Update: Co-owner Nate Snell sent the following statement at 3 p.m.:

At Pip's we serve dishes that contain meat, gluten and most other common food allergens like soy, diary and nuts. It is our responsibility to let potential employees know that they will be expected to taste the food and drinks we prepare in order to maintain both food quality and food safety.

If a potential employee is not able to perform these duties because of a voluntary, non-medical and non-religious dietary restriction (no sugar, no gluten, no nuts, no meat etc.) working at our shop would place an undue burden on our ability to maintain the quality of our food and the health of our customers and employees.

Pip's Original Doughnuts is located at 4759 N.E. Fremont St.

redred
07-26-2016, 11:32 AM
:facepalm: no sorry you can't have a milky coffee because i refuse to touch dairy products

Teh One Who Knocks
07-26-2016, 11:43 AM
:facepalm: no sorry you can't have a milky coffee because i refuse to touch dairy products

Vegan rights are more important than everyone else's :nono: