PDA

View Full Version : Prosecutor: Facebook posts from retired judge's nephew encouraged murdering police

Teh One Who Knocks
07-28-2016, 11:15 AM
By Andy Hoag - M Live

http://i.imgur.com/Yf3qNX5.jpg

SAGINAW, MI — Saginaw County prosecutors are attempting to send a message to those who threaten law enforcement in response to recent fatal police-involved shootings of black men.

Specifically, they are sending that message to the nephew of a recently retired district judge.

Billy R. Thompson, who prosecutors say is the nephew of M.T. Thompson Jr., faces a 20-year felony in connection with Facebook posts that prosecutors say he authored early July 7.

M.T. Thompson retired from his district judge seat in April. Prosecutors say his 33-year-old nephew encouraged people to "strap up" and "murder (police) like they murder us."

Billy Thompson is a "substantial danger to the community," Assistant Prosecutor Mark Gaertner wrote in a bond recommendation form. "He has repeatedly attempted to incite persons to commit violence through his postings on Facebook. The posting which is the basis for this charge ... shows that he has made a public appeal for the murder of judges and law enforcement officers."

Prosecutors say Thompson early July 7 posted the following two messages on Facebook:

"I can't get help from the police because they are hunting me. I can't go to a judge because they always stand behind the cop. I think it's time to strap up and make a police defense plan. I'd rather kill then [sic] be killed. And if nobody is going to do anything about these cops ... then Imma [sic] make sure my sons and daughters have a few less cops and judges in the world to worry about!"

"Let's get these cops. It's hunting on all you pigs in the injustice system. Let's murder them like they murder us. It's long past time for revolutionary action. Everyone strap up! OLD AND YOUNG. Shoot first and (expletive) the questions."

Michigan State Police troopers on July 18 arrested Thompson on a probation violation warrant in connection with a child support case he faced. Thompson has remained jailed since, and prosecutors on Tuesday, July 26, charged him with using a computer to commit a crime punishable by up to life in prison.

Thompson's arrest warrant lists that crime as solicitation of first-degree premeditated murder, which carries a maximum possible penalty of life in prison with the possibility of parole. The computer charge Thompson faces carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.

"This is not the type of message that can be condoned," Chief Assistant Prosecutor Christopher Boyd said. "People need to seek peaceful resolution of their disputes."

District Judge M. Randall Jurrens on the morning of Wednesday, July 27, arraigned Thompson via video conferencing from jail. The judge told Thompson he faced a charge of using a computer to commit a crime and told him the maximum possible penalty, and then he asked Thompson if he understood the nature of the charge.

"I don't understand what crime I've committed," Thompson responded.

Jurrens then read more information about the charge, including the murder solicitation allegation, and then asked Thompson if he understood that.

"Yup," Thompson responded.

Jurrens entered a not guilty plea on Thompson's behalf and ordered him held without bond.

Jurrens then asked Thompson if he had any questions.

"I don't even know where to begin," Thompson said.

The judge responded by telling Thompson to save his questions for his court-appointed attorney, which Thompson will receive later Wednesday morning.

Thompson remains jailed and is scheduled for an Aug. 16 preliminary hearing before Jurrens.