PDA

View Full Version : EXCLUSIVE: New York Gov. Cuomo orders Pokémon Go prohibition for sex offenders on parole

Teh One Who Knocks
08-02-2016, 11:00 AM
BY Kenneth Lovett - New York Daily News

http://i.imgur.com/GQRH5Yel.jpg

For sex offenders in New York, it will be Pokémon No Go.

Gov. Cuomo Sunday ordered that the state make it a condition of parole for sex offenders that they stay away from Pokémon Go and similar interactive games, the Daily News has learned.

The state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision is barring all registered sex offenders under supervision from downloading, accessing, or playing such Internet gaming activities, under the directive.

Roughly 3,000 predators currently on state parole will be immediately impacted, state officials said. The state will also be sending guidance to the counties around the state that supervise another 5,000 lower level convicted sex offenders urging them to adopt the new policy.

"Protecting New York's children is priority number one and, as technology evolves, we must ensure these advances don't become new avenues for dangerous predators to prey on new victims," Cuomo said. "These actions will provide safeguards for the players of these augmented reality games and help take one more tool away from those seeking to do harm to our children."

The Pokémon Go app sends players on a hunt to catch digital Pokémon characters.

If a sex offender is caught playing the game in New York, it would be a violation of the terms of their parole and they could be returned to prison, a Cuomo aide said.

http://i.imgur.com/5hbyDnJl.jpg

Cuomo also sent a letter to software developer Niantic Inc. to request assistance in keeping Pokémon Go out of the hands of sex predators.

"The State has taken action to prohibit sex offenders from using this game, but we need your assistance to make certain that sex offenders will not continue to use Pokémon GO by technologically barring their use," Cuomo wrote in the letter. "Working together, we can ensure that this danger today does not escalate into a tragedy tomorrow."

The governor also directed the Department of Criminal Justice Services to provide Niantic with the most recent version of the state's sex offender registry in the hopes the company will use the list to keep people from having access to the app.

The Department of Criminal Justice Services will also contact Apple and Google "to inform them of these public safety concerns and work with them to enhance user safety," Cuomo said.

The order and letter came two days after state Sens. Jeffrey Klein and Diane Savino released a report titled "Protecting Our Children: How Pokémon Go and Augmented Reality Games Expose Children To Sex Offenders."

After sending staffers over a two-week period to more than 100 homes of level-2 and level-3 sex offenders in the city, the senators found that characters generated by the Pokémon Go app appeared 57% of the time. That figure rose to 73% when related items like PokeStops and Pokémon gyms are factored in, the report showed.

http://i.imgur.com/U67RlRAl.jpg

The two senators called for passage of legislation that would keep young children and other players at least 100 feet away from a convicted sex offender's home.

Officials have also expressed concern that a feature of Pokémon Go called a "lure" can make it easier for sex predators to tempt potential victims to come to their homes. Savino on Friday said there's no evidence to any kids were sexually abused after being lured by the Pokémon app.

Klein (D-Bronx) called Cuomo's action "a good first step," adding that "there's still more work to be done legislatively to protect children who use this technology and I will continue to monitor this situation."

Savino (D-Staten Island) said that "Pokémon GO entertains our children, but it forgets about the reality of this world: it can be dangerous."

"I will continue to fight for legislation to keep our children safe," Savino said. "I thank Governor Cuomo for immediately responding to our investigation in the interest of children across New York State." Reps from game creators Niantic and Nintendo could not be reached for comment Sunday.

Cuomo as state attorney general in 2008 successfully pushed for a law designed to crack down on Internet use by convicted sexual predators by requiring them to regularly provide the state with all current email accounts and user names. The info is then sent to social media network sites for scrubbing.

Since the law was enacted, about 52,000 records related to 18,544 state registered sex offenders have been sent to the technology companies, Cuomo's office said.

deebakes
08-02-2016, 01:10 PM
:rofl: