PDA

View Full Version : Coloradans to vote on ‘single payer’ health insurance proposal

Teh One Who Knocks
08-06-2016, 01:33 PM
by Joe St. George - FOX 31 Denver

http://i.imgur.com/EmVwz9y.png

DENVER -- The November election involves more than just presidential and congressional candidates. In Colorado, a number of ballot initiatives will take place including a vote on Amendment 69.

Amendment 69 would establish Colorado Care, a single-payer government-run health insurer that be the first of its kind in the country.

“We are going to lead the country to universal health care, we should have done this decades ago,” TR Reid, a leader in the movement and author of the NY Times bestselling the Healing of America said.

Under the plan, private health insurance would likely cease to exist in the state.

Instead a 21-member elected board would administer the coverage on behalf of the government.

It would cost over $30 billion dollars and it would be paid for with a 6.6 percent increase in employers' payroll taxes and a 3.3 percent increase in employees' payroll taxes.

Copays and deductibles would be eliminated under Colorado Care.

Reid argues that any tax increase would be cheaper than what businesses and employees are paying for premiums currently.

“Nobody likes insurance companies. Our strongest asset is we will take away out of state control from insurance companies,” Reid added.

The Denver Chamber of Commerce calls this a “bad idea.”

“There is no guarantee of what you get in exchange,” Kelly Brough, president of the chamber, said.

Brough said this will add more than $30 billion to the state budget with tax increases that kill jobs.

“I think we could lose some of the best health professionals who move to other states,” Brough added.

Both sides have active websites that feature their own data and analysis.

Bernie Sanders is expected to campaign for the measure in the months to come. Here is the website in favor of Amendment 69. (http://www.coloradocare.org/)

Prominent Democrats, like John Hickenlooper, have come out against the plan. Here is the website opposed to Amendment 69. (http://www.coloradansforcoloradans.com/)

DemonGeminiX
08-06-2016, 02:16 PM
Have fun with that, Lance.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Not happy that something like this is on the ballot because with all the Mexicans and Californians here now, it has turned this once red state blue and I'm thinking it's going to pass :|

RBP
08-06-2016, 02:54 PM
I'll review the details when i have time, but my opinions on this have changed. I am no longer philosophically opposed to a single payer system that removes corporate greed and corruption from health care.

perrhaps
08-06-2016, 06:03 PM
I'll review the details when i have time, but my opinions on this have changed. I am no longer philosophically opposed to a single payer system that removes corporate greed and corruption from health care.

I agree, but only if employers are required to pass on every cent of net savings directly to employees.

Hugh_Janus
08-07-2016, 07:53 AM
I vote that lance to pay for everyone's insurance :dance:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2016, 09:39 AM
I agree, but only if employers are required to pass on every cent of net savings directly to employees.

:rofl: :lmao: :rofl: :lmao:

:serious:

redred
08-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Not happy that something like this is on the ballot because with all the Mexicans and Californians here now, it has turned this once red state blue and I'm thinking it's going to pass :|

:fu: porky

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2016, 10:40 AM

And trade it in for government bloat, ineptitude, and being 1000 times over budget?

:fu: porky

I know! :x