PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Praise for Michelle Bachman: "When Only "Crazies" See the Bank Giveaway for What It Was"

Deepsepia
06-20-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm always interested when folks who ordinarily are at odds are in [surprising] agreement. Here Michael Hudson of the Progressive Radio Network offers a rather unexpected endorsement of Michelle Bachman and the Tea Party. I don't necessarily agree with either of them, and Hudson certainly doesn't like Bachman, but he's observant enough to say "I may not agree with her much of the time, but I agree with this"

The result is a financial schizophrenia extending across the political spectrum from the Tea Party to Tim Geithner at the Treasury and Ben Bernanke at the Fed. It seems bizarre that the most reasonable understanding of why the 2008 bank crisis did not require a vast public subsidy for Wall Street occurred at Monday’s Republican presidential debate on June 13, by none other than Congressional Tea Party leader Michele Bachmann – who had boasted in a Wall Street Journal interview two days earlier, on Saturday, that she:

“voted against the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) ‘both times.’… She complains that no one bothered to ask about the constitutionality of these extraordinary interventions into the financial markets. ‘During a recent hearing I asked Secretary [Timothy] Geithner three times where the constitution authorized the Treasury's actions [just [giving] the Treasury a $700 billion blank check], and his response was, “Well, Congress passed the law.” …With TARP, the government blew through the Constitutional stop sign and decided ‘Whatever it takes, that's what we're going to do.’”

Clarifying her position regarding her willingness to see the banks fail, Bachmann explained:

“I would have. People think when you have a, quote, ‘bank failure,’ that that is the end of the bank. And it isn't necessarily. A normal way that the American free market system has worked is that we have a process of unwinding. It’s called bankruptcy. It doesn't mean, necessarily, that the industry is eclipsed or that it's gone. Often times, the phoenix rises out of the ashes.”

{snip}

Contrasting Bachmann’s remarks to the panicky claims by Geithner and Hank Paulson in September 2008 confirm a basic axiom of today’s junk economics: When an economic error becomes so widespread that it is adopted as official government policy, there is always a special interest at work to promote it.

full article at:
http://www.progressiveradionetwork.com/economic-news/2011/6/20/michael-hudson-when-only-crazies-see-the-bank-giveaway-for-w.html

Teh One Who Knocks
06-20-2011, 07:20 PM
I don't like her one bit

FBD
06-20-2011, 08:38 PM
but he's observant enough to say "I may not agree with her much of the time, but I agree with this"

I'm sure many lefties were observant enough, but its surprising that one had the balls to specifically agree with her on something.

Its going to be tough for underqualified candidates going forward - people are on the lookout to weed out any underqualifieds, especially right after a "completely unqualified" got snuck through the electoral process. You'd have a better chance of getting through a TSA line unmolested :lol:

Of course I dont think she's quite qualified enough, but you can bet your ass I'll be voting for whomever runs against Obummer. I just hope I dont have to hold my nose and click for Romney, I really cant see him winning the nomination, it seems like the media just likes him because he's the most BO-like out of any of the candidates. (experience aside, of course :rolleyes: )

deebakes
06-20-2011, 10:52 PM
there's no way she can win, f-ing nutcase. and she's from my state too unfortunately :lol: two republican candidates from here when this state always goes democrat is hilarious to me.

Southern Belle
06-21-2011, 01:07 AM
She's just a pawn to be an alternative to Palin. And I'd as soon vote for Obama as Romney. Seriously.

Deepsepia
06-21-2011, 04:41 AM
I'm sure many lefties were observant enough, but its surprising that one had the balls to specifically agree with her on something.

The Left and the Right sometimes meet on the subject of corporate power.

Bernie Sanders and Ron Paul see pretty much eye-to-eye on the Federal Reserve, for example.

Left and Right are also increasingly critical of our foreign wars, and the Administrations' "readings" of the War Powers Act. Again you'd find someone like Bernie Sanders or Dennis Kucinich seeing pretty much eye to eye with Ron Paul

FBD
06-21-2011, 11:43 AM
heh, as crazy as Bernie is, he's not wrong on 100% of everything :dance: I was mainly referring to the blowhard blogosphere.