PDA

View Full Version : Woman doesn't remember leaving baby in toilet....

Southern Belle
02-11-2011, 10:35 AM
GREENVILLE, S.C. — The South Carolina woman accused of giving birth in an arena toilet during the circus and leaving the baby told her family afterward she was bleeding heavily, but didn't know why.

As 24-year-old Jessica Blackham checked herself into a hospital six miles away, a cleaning crew found the 6-pound boy, his skin purple and breathing so labored he could barely cry. The custodians desperately followed a 911 operator's directions, one of them even whispering "vas a estar bien, bebe" (you're going to be OK, baby) as he used his finger to sweep some mucus from boy's mouth. The baby is in good condition at a hospital.

The details of Friday night came into focus when the cleaning crew talked to the media Wednesday about their discovery, and Blackham's mother tried to explain to a judge what had occurred.

"She had amnesia, couldn't remember what happened. She went there (to the hospital) of her own accord because she knew she was bleeding and something was wrong," Anita McAuliffe said at her daughter's bond hearing.

Jessica Blackham went to the circus with her sister and her family, but without her 4-year-old daughter. She has no idea what happened after she entered the cramped pink stall, giving birth and passing her placenta in a space less than three feet across, likely toward the end of the show. McAuliffe was not at the circus and it's unclear whether Blackham went straight to the hospital or somewhere else after the event.

Blackham has cooperated with police since the hospital notified investigators of her condition hours after she arrived.

"She's had periods. There's been no sign whatsoever of her pregnancy," McAuliffe said.

Blackham is charged with one count of felony child abuse and one count of unlawful neglect toward a child. Her bond was set at $30,000, and jail records indicate she has been released. If convicted of both charges, she could face up to 30 years in prison.

Blackham told the judge she had an idea who the baby's father was, but it wasn't her husband, whom she had been separated from for nearly a year.

Blackham's husband told WYFF-TV his wife's mental condition went downhill while they were married and he urged her to get help. He can't believe she didn't know she was pregnant.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Okay, I may not be female, but how the hell can you get pregnant, not know it, and then not know you just gave birth?? :wtf:

Southern Belle
02-11-2011, 10:48 AM
I don't buy it either. There's another article that says her ex husband says she posted something on facebook about being pregnant.
Heartless bitch.

Yt Trash
02-11-2011, 11:16 AM
:shock:

Noilly Pratt
02-11-2011, 02:43 PM
I know post-partum depression can make you do silly things...I almost buy her forgetting leaving the baby in the toilet, but forgetting she's preggers altogether???

My mom didn't find out about me until she was about 6 months along (she was a tall, skinny rake usually but she put on some pounds but looked good with it). She felt something "different" at least. They thought I was a growth to be operated on! Luckily some Dr. said "let's check for pregnancy". :D

Godfather
02-11-2011, 08:18 PM
There was a show on TV for a while that my mom and girlfriend liked called "I didn't even know I was pregnant." Kind of interesting phenomenon that's quite rare.

Some of these women were regular sized, average weight... most were overweight, but they didn't have the usual signs of pregnancy and were unaware until they went into labor. They still got periods, didn't gain much weight or have hardly any or no noticeable protrusion. Not even the cravings, and a few even failed pregnancy tests

And when they went into labor, most of them were entirely disoriented and in denial. One lady admitted she didn't even believe it until hours after the baby was born

...This fucked up case is probably bullshit from some hillbilly though :wha: In which case it's just evil.

Southern Belle
02-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Yeah, she's skinny and looks dumb. Is that un pc?

Teh One Who Knocks
02-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Here's her pic

http://i.imgur.com/JRFQ1.jpg

Southern Belle
02-11-2011, 10:47 PM
The news reports made it a point of saying that she was at the circus without her 4 year old daughter.

Hal-9000
02-12-2011, 12:58 AM
It said she still had her periods...I kinda thought those tapered off after the pregnant part of the program

Maybe she really didn't know? I find it hard to believe anyone couldn't know they had a 6 pound being inside them...but I'm not a gal