PDA

View Full Version : The politics of the Lousiana floods - various articles

RBP
08-19-2016, 09:56 PM
This issue is getting highly political... post what you find.

RBP
08-19-2016, 09:58 PM
http://i68.tinypic.com/jzjq08.jpg

President Obama has refused so far to survey the Louisiana flood disaster, but he did let state and local officials know that he’s watching to make sure they don’t engage in racial discrimination.

In a 16-page guidance issued Tuesday, the Obama administration, led by the Justice Department, warned Louisiana recipients of federal disaster assistance against engaging in “unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, or national origin (including limited English proficiency).”

The guidance’s frameworks “highlight the importance of complying with nondiscrimination requirements of civil rights statutes, addressing the needs of the whole community, and ensuring equal opportunity to access recovery efforts.”

Needless to say, some Louisiana residents were offended, including the American Conservative’s Rod Dreher, who took umbrage at receiving an anti-discrimination lecture from Washington, D.C., as locals struggle to rescue, house and feed their neighbors.

“[E]verywhere you look you can find black folks and white folks loving on each other, helping each other through this crisis,” Mr. Dreher said in a Thursday post.

He referred to the guidance as a “long bureaucratic memo” issued by the “Department of Justice and many other agencies of the executive branch overseen by He Who Cannot Be Troubled to Leave Martha’s Vineyard.”

Mr. Obama has come under fire for sticking to his two-week golf vacation on Martha’s Vineyard instead of taking time to survey the flooding in the Baton Rouge area, which has left 13 dead.

The administration guidance cited instances of discrimination in Gulf Coast states after Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita in 2005, such as “numerous media reports [that] showed images of African Americans stranded on roofs in New Orleans.”

“These images exposed significant inequalities in access to emergency response and recovery efforts,” said the guidance.

The memo also cited an ad aimed at evacuees saying that the renter preferred “two white females.”

Mr. Dreher said such discrimination is wrong and Louisianans need to “own our mistakes,” but that residents knee-deep in rescue efforts don’t appreciate being painted with the administration’s broad brush.

He quoted an email from a local named Jimmy who said, “Not many things get me seething, but this does,” calling Obama administration officials “dividers instead of uniters.”

“Look no further than this ‘guidance’ press release telling us in the middle of it to be sure not to be racist, y’all,” said the email. “Meanwhile, our President enjoys golfing and Martha’s Vineyard and sunny skies. No visits, not even that reviled [George W.] Bush flyover. Just politically motivated, radically laced memos.”

More than 40,000 homes were damaged during the flooding, sparked by thunderstorms and a low-pressure system that began Aug. 5, which the Red Cross has described as the worst natural disaster since Superstorm Sandy in 2012.

RBP
08-19-2016, 10:01 PM
Republican nominee Donald Trump visited Louisiana Friday as the state is experiencing massive flooding. Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton and President Obama have yet to visit the state.

Trump is visiting Louisiana with his running mate Indiana Gov. Mike Pence to offer his support to the flood victims. Tens of thousands of residents have been displaced and at least 13 people have been killed in the flooding. The GOP nominee was greeted warmly when he visited Baton Rouge. “We knew you’d be here Mr. Trump,” a supporter yelled out from a crowd.

Trump and Pence were also seen helping unpack a truck with supplies. The two have visited homes and a church damaged by the flooding. Trump told one man who had a damaged home, “you’re going to rebuild. It’s going to be so beautiful.”

Clinton has not visited Louisiana and wrote on Facebook, “I just got off the phone with Governor John Bel Edwards in Louisiana. The flooding there is bigger than anyone expected—more than 40,000 homes have been damaged and more than 100,000 people have been affected.”

“My heart breaks for Louisiana, and right now, the relief effort can’t afford any distractions. The very best way this team can help is to make sure Louisianans have the resources they need,” Clinton added. President Obama is currently away on vacation.

RBP
08-19-2016, 10:03 PM
Trump Visits Louisiana; But Governor Asked Obama To Stay Home

This is a tough call for any politician. Do you go to a disaster area to offer support, or stay away to allow workers to do their job?

LA Times:

Obama himself is facing criticism for not cutting short his annual summer vacation to visit the flood devastation in Louisiana, but the governor, Democrat John Bel Edwards, has publicly asked Obama to stay away, citing the drain on resources that a presidential visit demands and that he would prefer to devote to flood relief.

Edwards' request may have contributed to the Trump campaign keeping the visit by the candidate him and running mate Mike Pence relatively quiet. The campaign has publicly released no details, and Edwards' office said that as of Thursday night, Trump hadn't called to say he was headed to the state.

"We welcome him to [Louisiana] but not for a photo-op," an Edwards spokesman said in a statement. The governor's office suggested Trump donate to flood relief instead.

ABC News:

Donald Trump today slammed President Obama for not interrupting his vacation to visit Louisiana after deadly flooding in Baton Rouge and parts of Lafayette.

While speaking with volunteers at the Greenwell Springs Baptist Church, north of Baton Rouge, Trump said, "The president says he doesn’t want to come, he is trying to get out of a golf game."

...President Barack Obama has received criticism for staying on vacation rather than traveling to Louisiana to see the damage first-hand.

But Edwards said Thursday that he's spoken with the White House daily and has received quick responses for each request he's made to the administration. He noted that FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate visited the state Tuesday and Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson was in-state Thursday.

Edwards said he is "not complaining in any way about our federal partnership."

He added that while the President can visit whenever he'd like, he'd prefer him to wait "a week or two" because such visits require local police and first responders to help block roads and provide security.

Maybe Trump / Pence think this is going to distract from the fact that Paul Manafort quit their campaign and is sure to face a criminal investigation with possible jail time?

http://crooksandliars.com/2016/08/trump-visits-louisiana-governor-asked

DemonGeminiX
08-19-2016, 10:32 PM
There was an article somewhere yesterday saying Obama should cut his vacation short and get to Louisiana. I'm sure it was all over the place, but I don't feel like looking for it now.

If a reputable organization asks for donations for a relief fund, I might donate a few bucks.

RBP
08-19-2016, 11:49 PM
There was an article somewhere yesterday saying Obama should cut his vacation short and get to Louisiana. I'm sure it was all over the place, but I don't feel like looking for it now.

If a reputable organization asks for donations for a relief fund, I might donate a few bucks.
Good man. I am going to get skilled in disaster relief to be on a response team for mental health support after graduation.

DemonGeminiX
08-20-2016, 08:44 AM
https://www.directrelief.org/2016/08/louisiana-floods-medical-emergencies-evacuee/

https://www.convoyofhope.org/blog/features/disaster-response/convoy-of-hope-responds-to-flooding-in-louisiana/

http://www.redcross.org/mo3h

http://www.unitedwaysela.org/flood

http://www.braf.org/louisiana-flood-relief

The top 2 are the highest rated for usage of funds toward actual program purposes.

RBP
08-20-2016, 03:35 PM
Thanks, dude.