PDA

View Full Version : 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick explains why he sat during national anthem

Teh One Who Knocks
08-29-2016, 11:17 AM
By Steve Wyche - NFL Media reporter

http://i.imgur.com/nEwCHnIl.jpg

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick has willingly immersed himself into controversy by refusing to stand for the playing of the national anthem in protest of what he deems are wrongdoings against African Americans and minorities in the United States.

His latest refusal to stand for the anthem -- he has done this in at least one other preseason game -- came before the 49ers' preseason loss to Green Bay at Levi's Stadium on Friday night.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

The 49ers issued a statement about Kaepernick's decision: "The national anthem is and always will be a special part of the pre-game ceremony. It is an opportunity to honor our country and reflect on the great liberties we are afforded as its citizens. In respecting such American principles as freedom of religion and freedom of expression, we recognize the right of an individual to choose and participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem."

Niners coach Chip Kelly told reporters Saturday that Kaepernick's decision not to stand during the national anthem is "his right as a citizen" and said "it's not my right to tell him not to do something."

The NFL also released a statement, obtained by NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport: "Players are encouraged but not required to stand during the playing of the national anthem."

By taking a stand for civil rights, Kaepernick, 28, joins other athletes, like the NBA's Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony and several WNBA players in using their platform and status to raise awareness to issues affecting minorities in the U.S.

However, refusal to support the American flag as a means to take a stand has brought incredible backlash before and likely will in this instance. The NBA's Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf of the Denver Nuggets, formerly Chris Jackson before converting to Islam, refused to acknowledge the flag in protest, citing similar reasons as Kaepernick and saying that it conflicted with some of his Islamic beliefs.

Abdul-Rauf drew the ire of fans and was briefly suspended by the NBA before a compromise was worked out between the league and player, who eventually stood with his teammates and coaches at the playing of the national anthem.

Kaepernick said that he is aware of what he is doing and that he knows it will not sit well with a lot of people, including the 49ers. He said that he did not inform the club or anyone affiliated with the team of his intentions to protest the national anthem.

"This is not something that I am going to run by anybody," he said. "I am not looking for approval. I have to stand up for people that are oppressed. ... If they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right."

Kaepernick said that he has thought about going public with his feelings for a while but that "I felt that I needed to understand the situation better."

He said that he has discussed his feelings with his family and, after months of witnessing some of the civil unrest in the U.S., decided to be more active and involved in rights for black people. Kaepernick, who is biracial, was adopted and raised by white parents and siblings.

Kaepernick's Twitter feed is filled with civil rights messages.

The former Super Bowl starting quarterback's decision to go public comes while he is fighting for his football life with the 49ers, who drafted him in the second round in 2011. He lost his starting job last season after being one of the most promising players in the NFL during his run under former coach Jim Harbaugh.

Over the past few months, his relationship with management has turned sour. He requested a trade last spring, which never came. He also has spent most of the offseason rehabilitating from operations to his left (non-throwing) shoulder, his hand and knee. His recovery left him unable to fully compete with Blaine Gabbert for months and has him seemingly in a bind to regain his starting job.

He made his preseason debut against the Packers and played in the second quarter, completing two of six passes for 14 yards. He looked as rusty as you'd expect from someone who has not played since last November.

Following the game, and without any knowledge of Kaepernick's non-football behavior, coach Chip Kelly said that there has never been any discussion about cutting Kaepernick. Rapoport added Saturday that Kelly will make "football decisions" on Kaepernick, despite the quarterback's comments.

RBP
08-29-2016, 11:22 AM
I cut him faster than my vas deferens after two downs babies.

DemonGeminiX
08-29-2016, 11:26 AM
I disagree with his actions, but I agree that he has the right to freedom of speech and expression, even if it makes him a huge douchebag.

But here's to all of the men and women in uniform. Let's not forget, that when we stand up for the national anthem with our right hand over our hearts and our hats removed, that we do it not just for our country, but for those men and women that have served in our armed forces to defend our rights.

RBP
08-29-2016, 11:35 AM
I disagree with his actions, but I agree that he has the right to freedom of speech and expression, even if it makes him a huge douchebag.

But here's to all of the men and women in uniform. Let's not forget, that when we stand up for the national anthem with our right hand over our hearts and our hats removed, that we do it for those men and women that have served in our armed forces to defend our rights.

Since when do you have free speech rights at work? No you don't, that's been made up to justify the actions of athletes and celebrities.

Same as the jerkoffs who wear black power shirts for warm ups.

DemonGeminiX
08-29-2016, 11:44 AM
Given the whole tact at work thing, I'll concede the point in the general case, but honestly, these guys in the NFL get paid gazillions of dollars, and the teams they play for put up with a ton of bizarre and criminal behavior from them with barely a slap on the wrist. If no one in the media complained about this, and from what I understand no one complained the first 2 or 3 times that he did it before this time, then the teams and league wouldn't do jack shit about it. So the NFL has a better tolerance for respecting their rights to expression and speech then most employers do... except if they wear ridiculous colored shoes or something on their jerseys not sanctioned by the NFL, then off with their heads.

RBP
08-29-2016, 11:50 AM
Given the whole tact at work thing, I'll concede the point in the general case, but honestly, these guys in the NFL get paid gazillions of dollars, and the teams they play for put up with a ton of bizarre and criminal behavior from them with barely a slap on the wrist. If no one in the media complained about this, and from what I understand no one complained the first 2 or 3 times that he did it before this time, then the teams and league wouldn't do jack shit about it. So the NFL has a better tolerance for respecting their rights to expression and speech then most employers do... except if they wear ridiculous colored shoes or something on their jerseys not sanctioned by the NFL, then off with their heads.

Wait until the first white player expresses his frustration with militant blacks. You'll see how much the league supports political expression.

DemonGeminiX
08-29-2016, 11:53 AM
Yeah, but he's white. You should know by now that us white people can't do jack shit anymore.

RBP
08-29-2016, 12:08 PM
I think the 49er's and the league are making a calculated PR decision. The backlash from white people ("he's a dick, next subject") will be far less than the militant black response, Al Sharpton, protests, calls for boycotts, and screaming matches on TV talk shows. This has very little to do with freedom of expression and everything to do with managing PR.

DemonGeminiX
08-29-2016, 01:12 PM
So... cock-sucking money-whores?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-29-2016, 02:39 PM
By Allen West

http://i.imgur.com/goNMZgE.jpg

If there’s one thing I live for, it’s football season, especially college. Saturday night I was enjoying a fantastic game between Charleston Southern University and North Dakota State University. The game went into overtime and ended with the Bison of NDSU winning 24-17. However, as I watched this thrilling game, it was an item on the ESPN news ticker that disturbed me — to which I see a need to respond to this “teachable moment.”

As we reported yesterday, San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick refused to stand for the National Anthem in Friday’s pre-season game against Green Bay because he was protesting “black oppression” in the United States. The Niners went on to lose.

The NFL issued a statement that said players are encouraged but not required to stand for the national anthem. Hmm, this is the same NFL that refused to allow the Dallas Cowboys to wear a helmet decal in honor of the fallen Dallas Police officers gunned down on Thursday July 7th.

This is the same NFL that said nothing when players from the then- St. Louis Rams displayed the false narrative symbol of “hands up, dont shoot” — which we know didn’t happen. I find it rather interesting that the NFL has no issue disrespecting law enforcement officers but only “encourages” players to respect the symbol of our nation, the American flag, and our anthem, the Star Spangled Banner.

However, I would recommend a simple scripture from the wise King Solomon for Mr. Kaepernick, Proverbs 17:28 (NIV): “Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues.”

Or, as the old folks down South would say, “best for a stupid person to keep their mouth shut and not open it and let everyone know they are.”

Mr. Kaepernick, a biracial young man adopted and raised by white parents, claims America is oppressing blacks at a time when we have a black, biracial president who was twice elected. We’ve had two black attorneys general and currently have a black secretary of homeland security, along with a black national security advisor. Here in Dallas our police chief, whom I know, is an outstanding black leader. The officer in Milwaukee who shot the armed assailant after issuing an order to drop his weapon was black. Is Mr. Kaepernick following suit and cherry-picking what he terms “oppression?”

First of all, let me clarify to you sir, you are a multi-millionaire “one-percenter” just because you can throw a ball and kiss your biceps. Men like Jesse Owens, Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron, Oscar Robertson, Ernie Davis, and Bernard King and Condredge Halloway of my alma mater were athletes who knew of oppression. You sir may certainly have the right to sit upon your “fourth point of contact” when the National Anthem is played but never forget, you live in a nation that has provided you the privilege to have that right.

My story is one I wish to share. My dad was a corporal in the U.S. Army and served during World War II. He was born in 1920 and knew oppression. Yet, when he sat me down on the steps of our home, 651 Kennesaw Ave NE in Atlanta, he shared with me that there was no greater honor or privilege, than to wear the uniform of these United States. Perhaps that ‘s why his first and middle sons, along with his grandson, are all U.S. combat veterans, just like Dad. Herman West Sr. was not a victim, and he raised men who would never allow anyone to suppress or oppress them. Perhaps you should stop trying to make victims and admonish people, black people, to be victors — try it, and you may find that more satisfying than your insidious action and word vomiting.

If you want to know about oppression of blacks in America, past and present, how about you ask Rep. Nancy Pelosi of the San Fran Bay Area about the policies that decimated the black family? Maybe you can cross the Bay over to Oakland and ask Rep. Barbara Lee about the 13 to15 million black babies killed since 1973, and ask her who is Margaret Sanger?

Or perhaps you can ask the two California senators, Boxer and Feinstein, about who doesn’t support better education opportunities for black children in the inner cities — school choice, vouchers, charter schools, home schooling.

Perhaps you didn’t know Barack Obama was the one who cancelled the DC school voucher program for deserving young black children — talk about oppression. Is that something you’re willing to do, or is it just too difficult?

You should look at who’s been controlling the communities and cities where blacks live. This isn’t not about what America has done; it’s about what a certain group, a political party has done. And your somewhat backhanded comment towards our law enforcement officers — well, wonder how many times San Francisco PD has protected you?

Here is the deal young man. My recommendation is that you apologize. Be a stand up fella and admit you made a very stupid comment. Humbly state that you do realize how very special this country is and the opportunities it has afforded you — and many others. You should take that stand and apologize to all of those who are currently serving in our Armed Forces and those veterans who’ve been willing to make that last full measure of devotion. You see, when the National Anthem is played, it has a very special meaning to us — maybe you should take a hiatus and go over to Helmand Province in Afghanistan and spend a week and understand why. Go over and throw a football with the men and women who enable you to earn those millions of dollars.

The American flag has a very touching meaning for those of us for whom it will drape our coffin — as it was for my Dad…and it will be for me. That song defines who we are as a proud and exceptional people. This is a land where so many dream of coming to and earning the title of American. Your actions were shameful, disgusting, despicable and disrespectful.

You do have a right and a freedom of expression. But know, there are consequences to your ignorant action, which is what it was.

When the National Anthem is played, I salute because I am a black man born and raised in the inner city afforded the opportunity for greatness in my own right. May you seek God’s forgiveness and find humility, because we, the people are not going to forget what you did and said.

RBP
08-29-2016, 02:49 PM
:clap:

RBP
08-29-2016, 02:51 PM
The NFL issued a statement that said players are encouraged but not required to stand for the national anthem. Hmm, this is the same NFL that refused to allow the Dallas Cowboys to wear a helmet decal in honor of the fallen Dallas Police officers gunned down on Thursday July 7th.

This is the same NFL that said nothing when players from the then- St. Louis Rams displayed the false narrative symbol of “hands up, dont shoot” — which we know didn’t happen. I find it rather interesting that the NFL has no issue disrespecting law enforcement officers but only “encourages” players to respect the symbol of our nation, the American flag, and our anthem, the Star Spangled Banner.

But, but...freedom of expression!*

*as it suits the NFL PR department... like I said.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-29-2016, 02:59 PM
And then you have this crap :|

https://theintercept.com/2016/08/28/colin-kaepernick-is-righter-than-you-know-the-national-anthem-is-a-celebration-of-slavery/

RBP
08-29-2016, 03:41 PM
And then you have this crap :|

https://theintercept.com/2016/08/28/colin-kaepernick-is-righter-than-you-know-the-national-anthem-is-a-celebration-of-slavery/

I'll say again, there is no rational discussion to be had with these people.

deebakes
08-29-2016, 03:46 PM
good thing he didn't deflate any footballs at least :shrug:

RBP
08-29-2016, 03:47 PM
good thing he didn't deflate any footballs at least :shrug:

I heard a story on the radio (I think) that Brady's suspension was actually a compromise over questionable PED use. Drop the appeals, take the suspension, and we won't go public with the PED story...

deebakes
08-29-2016, 03:49 PM
:shock: :gtfo: really?

RBP
08-29-2016, 03:56 PM
I think it's not-yet-banned substances or something...

deebakes
08-29-2016, 03:58 PM
that's crazy, i would have expected them to try to hang the golden boy if they had something like that on him :shrug:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-29-2016, 04:09 PM
You know what pisses me off about all these "oppressed" blacks (and other whiny minorities)? And it was touched upon by Allen West in his piece I posted...all these people claiming 'oppression' have the EXACT same opportunity that everyone else has in this country. You have the ability to make yourself a better person. Just because you were born into poverty or that you have a gang leader for a father or because of anything else you think has held you back, you still can make yourself a better person. It's happened time and time again in this country, people not wanting to continue in the life they were born into, wanting to be a better person, wanting to take care of their family. The ones claiming 'oppression' have made the CHOICE to be where they are today. Now don't get me wrong, there are people that have a head start over others (parents who actually care, financially stable families, better schools, etc) but in this country, education is free to EVERY SINGLE CHILD all the way up to grade 12. Then, if you are smart and hard working, there are grants and scholarships available to go to college if you so choose. Or, if you don't qualify for any of that, then you do what other countless students have done, you get a job and put yourself through school. Nobody said it's easy, but learn, get an education, get a job, become a functioning member of society instead of sitting around your hovel crying 'oppression' and waiting for your next check from the government and blaming whitey.

They need to look in the fucking mirror if they want to see the 'oppression' because the ONLY person oppressing them is themselves.

/rant

RBP
09-01-2016, 01:52 PM
Now the apologists have latched on to the after-the-fact argument about the third verse on the anthem. (See the article Lance posted).

Ridiculous. CUT HIM.

Dear Trump, please refer to Kaepernick as "spastic Colin". Thank you.

RBP
09-01-2016, 01:55 PM
Officials from front offices of seven teams have slammed the quarterback
One said he has 'no respect for our country', another said he's a traitor
Another said he is currently the most hated player in the league
Most believe he will be shortly released by the San Francisco 49ers
Kaepernick is due to play tomorrow night against San Diego
He has insisted he will still not stand up during the national anthem
Protesters staged a demonstration at San Francisco Police Officers Association offices in support of Kaepernick

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3768174/NFL-executives-hate-Colin-Kaepernick-call-traitor-believe-unlikely-play-pro-ball-again.html

RBP
09-01-2016, 02:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6FTZ9WY.jpg?1

Kaepernick's practice socks, which appear to show a pig in a police officer's hat.

Despite being largely irrelevant on the field now, Kaepernick has managed to make himself the subject of a flood of headlines after he declared that he would no longer stand for the national anthem because America "oppresses" minorities and allows its cops to "murder" innocent "people of color."

Over the weekend, he took his attack on police even further, saying in an interview Sunday, "People of color have been targeted by police. So that's a large part of it and they're government officials. They are put in place by the government. So that's something that this country has to change. There's things we can do to hold them more accountable. Make those standards higher. You have people that practice law and are lawyers and go to school for eight years, but you can become a cop in six months and don't have to have the same amount of training as a cosmetologist."

As the Daily Wire earlier this week, the San Francisco police union responded strongly to Kaepernick's blanket condemnation of officers, slapping him for his "incredible lack of knowledge" about what goes into law enforcement training and challenging him to come see firsthand what the training process entails.

Now this image of his socks have emerged. Here's hoping the 49ers cut classless Kaepernick and the rest of the NFL is wise enough to keep what will only prove a massive distraction off their rosters.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/8832/colin-kaepernicks-practice-socks-pig-cops-hat-james-barrett

Teh One Who Knocks
09-01-2016, 02:33 PM
:|

fricnjay
09-01-2016, 02:35 PM
http://i.imgur.com/iVX6y8m.png

RBP
09-01-2016, 02:43 PM
My theory: he wants to get cut because he knows he sucks, can't admit to his complete and utter failure, and wants someone to blame for ending his miserable career.

deebakes
09-01-2016, 03:44 PM
vikings could use a quarterback :shrug:

RBP
09-01-2016, 03:55 PM

:rip: Teddy

Teh One Who Knocks
09-01-2016, 03:57 PM

Broncos are looking to unload Sanchez.

deebakes
09-01-2016, 04:02 PM
:rip: Teddy

it's really too bad, i was kind of excited for this year. i hate to see injuries really impact the plans for the year :|

deebakes
09-01-2016, 04:02 PM
Broncos are looking to unload Sanchez.

he'll probably end up here :|