PDA

View Full Version : HuffPo Columnist Body-Shames Female SEC Fans, Gets Accused of Supporting Rape Culture

Teh One Who Knocks
09-15-2016, 01:08 PM
By Emily Zanotti - Heat Street

http://i.imgur.com/rK1mJ2Z.jpg

A writer named Rebecca Walden wants today’s lewdly clad female college football fans to cover up – and she wrote about it for the Huffington Post. Now she’s enduring a firestorm of criticism. College students are accusing her of perpetuating “rape culture”, and the Huffington Post has removed her article from its website.

In the now-removed article, the Texas-based columnist wrote that when she went to a college football game between her alma mater, the University of Alabama, and USC, she thought she’d entered a “Victoria’s Secret Fashion show.”

“More than once at that last ballgame, I wished I could have wrapped my elephant scarf around one of you, teetering around on stilettos with your bra straps exposed and operating under the misguided notion that you looked irresistible,” she lectured the students. She called the look “classless,” and pleaded with the ladies to cover up “those ill-covered curves you’ve made sure are on full display.”

In her day, apparently, Alabama ladies dressed properly for football games. And when they tucked flasks full of alcohol into their boots to sneak them into the stadium, they did so while wearing shorts that went right down to their knees. Or something.

http://i.imgur.com/bltBDAw.png

Unsurprisingly, today’s Alabama students didn’t take kindly to Ms. Walden’s fashion advice. One female student, Alejandra Tenorio, penned a response letter, also in the Huffington Post, taking Walden to task for her slut-shaming (and body-shaming) and noting that female students’ mothers already know what they’re wearing (they have Instagram, of course).

Tenorio went on to accuse Walden of perpetuating a cycle of self-esteem issues, blaming Walden for generations of harmful disparagement, leading women of all ages to hate their bodies, and accusing Walden of participating in rape culture.

“Young women already deal with so much pressure in all areas of life, with insecurities still at an all time high,” Tenorio opines. It’s important to cheer each other on, to support one another, and to understand that the more we bash on one another for dressing too revealing, the more we are perpetuating the rape culture so many have been victims of.”

In fairness, all Walden really wanted was a few longer tee shirts, not truncated sentences for campus rapists. But you wouldn’t know that from Tenorio’s essay. And presumably the HuffPost censors agreed with Tenorio when they consigned Walden’s column to oblivion with a strike of the delete key.

deebakes
09-15-2016, 05:04 PM
let women wear as much or as little as they want, personal freedom is something to support ffs :facepalm:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-15-2016, 05:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bltBDAw.png

:wank:

RBP
09-15-2016, 09:58 PM
let women wear as much or as little as they want, personal freedom is something to support ffs :facepalm:

To an extent, but societies need standards too, or they are no longer societies.