PDA

View Full Version : Bus driver sacked for being drunk on school run

redred
09-16-2016, 11:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/7DW3UAa.jpg

A bus driver who took primary school pupils home while over the drink-drive limit has been sacked from his job.
Stephen McColgan, 52, had just finished dropping off pupils from Bridge of Weir Primary when he was stopped by police in the village last Friday afternoon.
He pleaded guilty to drink-driving during an appearance at Paisley Sheriff Court on Monday. Sentence was deferred.
It has now been confirmed that McColgan has been sacked from his position with bus firm Gibson Direct.
The contract for the school run was granted to Gibson by Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT).
Investigation under way
SPT confirmed McColgan is no longer with the firm: "SPT was informed by Gibson Direct that one of its drivers had been arrested by Police Scotland on suspicion of drink driving when operating on a school contract.
"The company has subsequently confirmed that the individual in question has been dismissed.
"A full investigation is under way to determine the facts surrounding this incident paying particular emphasis to the bus company's internal procedures."

It is understood the McColgan picked up the children at about 15:00 on Friday 9 September.
He then went along his route and dropped all the children off before being stopped by police in Prieston Road a short time later.
McColgan was found to have 72 micrograms of alcohol in 100ml of breath - the legal limit is 22 micrograms.
He was held in police custody for three nights and pleaded guilty to drink-driving at Paisley Sheriff Court on Monday.
Sentence on McColgan, who is from Renfrew, was deferred and he was banned from driving and released on bail.
He is due back in court next month.
Following the incident, Bridge of Weir Primary School head teacher Carol Vallance wrote to parents, saying that she had contacted police after concerns about the driver were raised.
The letter said: "At the time it was brought to my attention that the bus driver may have been drinking.
"I immediately reported my concerns to the bus company and our community police officer who contacted traffic police."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-37387707