PDA

View Full Version : Headlight glass replacement

RBP
09-23-2016, 02:52 PM
I caught a golf ball to the driver's side headlight almost 2 weeks ago - broke a gaping hole in the glass. Everyone seems hell bent on ignoring my liability inquiries, but it looks to me like a very expensive repair. Almost $600 for the correct glass.

Is it something I can do myself? Any cheap options? It looks like the replacement part depends on the country it was built in?

2016 Hyundai Elantra.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-23-2016, 02:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/K9C3E6Y.jpg

redred
09-23-2016, 02:59 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2014-2016-FITS-HYUNDAI-ELANTRA-HEADLIGHT-ASSEMBLY-LEFT-DRIVER-SIDE-HY2502189-/361673281260?hash=item5435684eec:g:oIgAAOSwExJXoa6 u

a few screws to undo and the old one should be out

Noilly Pratt
09-23-2016, 03:01 PM
A Junkyard find would be probably half that or less if you get a good one. Usually you can do those yourself and probably only have to remove the battery as they are often behind the headlight bucket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxhXGyiPbfs

I've done this on a few cars because my old route to work involved driving by the gravel pits and the trucks that sprayed me weekly with their load, so to speak...

Pony
09-23-2016, 03:06 PM
Usually the aftermarket headlamps fit decent. I have seen a few of the lenses discolor or peel over time but if you can get one for under $200 it would probably be the way to go. And yes, the front bumper will need to come off to replace it.

RBP
09-23-2016, 03:34 PM
http://i.imgur.com/K9C3E6Y.jpg

I did that, but I can't pass a vehicle inspection and it has a shit ton of condensation inside.

RBP
09-23-2016, 03:35 PM
Usually the aftermarket headlamps fit decent. I have seen a few of the lenses discolor or peel over time but if you can get one for under $200 it would probably be the way to go. And yes, the front bumper will need to come off to replace it.

The bumper? I can't do that. :lol:

Pony
09-23-2016, 03:54 PM
The bumper? I can't do that. :lol:

It's not difficult. Just small screws around the perimeter and pressure clips. Watch a youtube vid and go to town! :lol:

Noilly Pratt
09-23-2016, 07:54 PM
And often you only have to loosen the bolts that hold on the plastic piece that surrounds it, and not take it entirely off...just enough to give you wiggle room to place the new assembly.

RBP
09-27-2016, 12:09 AM
This is so confusing. So the replacement part says "fit note: For Vehicles Made in Korea, For Vehicles Without LED Position Lamp"

My door sticker said it was assembled in the US. And I have no idea what an LED position lamp is.

I don't usually feel this dumb. :sad2:

http://www.discountbodyparts.com/catalog/feeds/Hyundai/Elantra/Replacement/Headlight/2016/REPH100356.html?dbpcid=gglpla

My broken headlight.

http://i66.tinypic.com/97k31k.jpg

DemonGeminiX
09-27-2016, 05:02 AM
Can you do a search on the part number and see if anybody else with your car has used it?

I don't want to talk out-of-school, but just because it's assembled in the USA doesn't mean its parts are manufactured in the USA. Of course, that means absolutely nothing...

RBP
09-27-2016, 10:54 AM
Can you do a search on the part number and see if anybody else with your car has used it?

I don't want to talk out-of-school, but just because it's assembled in the USA doesn't mean its parts are manufactured in the USA. Of course, that means absolutely nothing...

I'll try that this afternoon.

On the manufacturing question, I guess that's the point. What does "cars manufactured in Korea" mean in this context?

DemonGeminiX
10-03-2016, 01:55 AM
What happened with this, RBP?

RBP
10-03-2016, 03:04 AM
What happened with this, RBP?

Nothing. The village is ignoring me, I don't know what to buy, and my inspection is invalid after Wednesday. I have left messages, but nothing. I am planning to call the city attorney and file in small claims court including lost wages, if necessary.

Pony
10-03-2016, 11:47 AM
For prior models the first digit of the VIN should tell you build location. "K" for Korea, "5" for US

RBP
10-03-2016, 01:15 PM
For prior models the first digit of the VIN should tell you build location. "K" for Korea, "5" for US

VIN starts with 5. So that fit information means I need a different part then?

Pony
10-03-2016, 02:13 PM
VIN starts with 5. So that fit information means I need a different part then?

Probably. If that states Korea only. And I would assume LED position is some sort of system where the lights turn when you turn the steering wheel? Probably only on high end models? You could always call your local dealer with the VIN and see what part you need.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Probably. If that states Korea only. And I would assume LED position is some sort of system where the lights turn when you turn the steering wheel? Probably only on high end models? You could always call your local dealer with the VIN and see what part you need.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

RBP
10-03-2016, 02:30 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yeah, the local dealer said the same as the parts store. $526 for the headlight, $135/hr for install.

Pony
10-03-2016, 02:41 PM
I meant to get the correct part #, not to buy it from them.

Goofy
10-03-2016, 05:22 PM

Are they maybe just the "always on" driving lights?

RBP
10-03-2016, 05:36 PM
:dunno:

I asked the dealer for the part number.

DemonGeminiX
10-03-2016, 07:13 PM
:dunno:

I asked the dealer for the part number.

And they didn't give it to you? I would've kept badgering them about it. Either they would have given me the part number or they would have lost their cool and hung up on me. Maybe even cussed me out a bit. I do that to people when they won't give me what I'm after and it really won't cost them anything to do so.

RBP
10-04-2016, 04:03 AM
And they didn't give it to you? I would've kept badgering them about it. Either they would have given me the part number or they would have lost their cool and hung up on me. Maybe even cussed me out a bit. I do that to people when they won't give me what I'm after and it really won't cost them anything to do so.

I just sent an email to the girl who helped me with a quote. Maybe she was off today.

Pony
10-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Are they maybe just the "always on" driving lights?

Looks like you might be right, it might be a light up LED strip to make the car more visible in daylight.