PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Mayor Emanuel unveils 3-part plan to curb bloody violence, pleads for support

Teh One Who Knocks
09-24-2016, 10:45 AM
By Matt Finn - FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/5c7ils6.jpg

Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel, who’s struggling to repair his tattered image, fought tears and pleaded with neighbors to support the city’s police officers as he unveiled a three-part plan to fight the city’s staggering violent crime and bloodshed.

“We cannot afford to lose another generation to the gangs and to the streets and to the guns and to the violence,” Emanuel said.

Emanuel’s plan is comprised of enforcement, investment and prevention. The controversial mayor struggled to keep his composure as he gave examples of the innocent victims who were shot and killed in recent weeks on the streets of Chicago including a 6-year-old girl who was playing on a stoop and a mother walking her children to sign up for school.

“Every one of us was sickened by the recent murder of Nykea Aldridge while she pushed a baby carriage down the street to register her kids,” Emanuel said. “And what makes it even worse is that her murder might have been prevented if her alleged perpetrators had been given the sentence they deserve for previous crimes.”

The enforcement part of the plan includes adding 970 new police officers to the force, promoting hundreds of police officers familiar with the streets to sergeants and lieutenants, seeking more federal help to assist in crime-fighting and supporting a bill that would ensure repeat gun offenders receive the strongest sentencing. The city released details of its plan the same week backlash erupted over police-involved shootings in Tulsa and Charlotte, where nights of protests led to riots.

Emanuel pleaded for Chicago to support its police.

“While we’re going to add significant resources to our police department, no resource will match the resource of an officer knowing the neighborhood they work in supports their work,” Emanuel said.

The Chicago Police Department has struggled to recruit and keep up with the attrition rate. CPD now has several hundred fewer officers compared to when Emanuel took office.

The mayor admitted Chicago police have to rebuild trust after allegations of racism and a series of videos showing white officers shooting and killing black teens.

“They need your reassurance and they need to know that they have to earn the public’s trust. They don’t get a blank check,” Emanuel said.

For investment, the city plans to require every officer to wear a body camera and carry a Taser. Officials also say they hope to install more gunshot-detecting cameras to the deadliest streets and spend millions providing intense counseling and mentoring to young, vulnerable men and boys who get sucked into gangs.

“Many crimes being committed are by young men with gang affiliations,” Emanuel said. “To have any chance from killing each other and innocents, Chicago must provide an alternative for young men to join gangs.”

For prevention, Emanuel said the city needed to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. The mayor echoed his continued support for a bill that would hold Chicago gun stores accountable for selling to criminals and would also ensure repeat offenders face harsh sentences.

“We need to stop the revolving door for repeat gun offenders. These violent offenders must know that their punishment will match the seriousness of the crimes they committed and the value and the sanctity of the lives they have taken from their fellow family members,” Emanuel said.

In addition to mentoring, the city will provide job opportunities for those who typically don’t have them and will expand its program that encourages and funds the expansion of retail and commercial businesses in abandoned neighborhoods.

Chicago’s crime rate is on pace to reach figures not seen since the crack cocaine wars of the late 1980s. More than three thousand people were shot this year. The murder count has approached 550.

“I go around this city. I see kids today, a look in their eyes, where the vitality, the hope and the purpose has been stolen from them because of the harshness of this city. It has been robbed from them and we cannot avert our eyes as a city any longer,” Emanuel said.

RBP
09-24-2016, 12:01 PM
"End mass incarceration!" Until more people die, then it's "Lock them up!"

"End three strikes laws!" Until more people die, then it's "Give them the sentence they deserve!"

But where, Mr. Mayor, is your plea to black leaders to change the communities and culture from within? You can't do it alone, you can't do it by fixing it for them, and their "support" of "your ideas" is not going to be enough.

In the meantime, we are seeing some black flight. Pushed out of their old hoods and public housing by gentrification and the elimination of the projects, they further consolidated to the south and west sides. Now those hoods have gotten so bad that there is movement to near west suburbs. Those have started getting so bad that some are fleeing further out, to my neighborhood for example. Now I have beggers, mix tapes, screaming drunks yelling in an urban dialect that I don't understand.

I tend to support urban warfare personally, but that might be unconstitutional. :lol:

I can't wait to hear what "hold gun stores accountable for selling to criminals" means. I imagine it's serial number tracking with liability if the gun gets used in a crime (which is bullshit), but how else could they do it?

redred
09-24-2016, 12:33 PM
Give everyone an AR15 it would solve everything

RBP
09-24-2016, 12:39 PM

I know you're just being a dick, but in those neighborhoods, they already have whatever they want.

Pony
09-24-2016, 01:14 PM
Build a wall!

redred
09-24-2016, 01:21 PM
And get RBP to pay for it

RBP
09-24-2016, 01:32 PM
:lol:

Pro tip. People will call you an ignorant racist if you make the following comment:

What state can we give them? They have no interest in acculturating or playing by what they see as "white rigged rules", they want to defund the police, they want to be self-governing, and they recently supported segregated housing on college campuses as a safety requirement. So why not give them a state and full authority to run it?

perrhaps
09-25-2016, 09:03 AM
So, he wants Federal assistance to pay for this? In other words, he wants me to pay for this.

Usually, when I buy something, I get some choice in the purchase. Here, I vote to place troops on every street corner every night to enforce a dusk-to-dawn curfew.

deebakes
09-26-2016, 01:17 AM
over under for the remainder of the year? :lol:

RBP
09-26-2016, 02:24 AM
over under for the remainder of the year? :lol:

I'm in, set the line. It slows down in the winter.

DemonGeminiX
09-26-2016, 02:31 AM
:lol:

Pro tip. People will call you an ignorant racist if you make the following comment:

What state can we give them? They have no interest in acculturating or playing by what they see as "white rigged rules", they want to defund the police, they want to be self-governing, and they recently supported segregated housing on college campuses as a safety requirement. So why not give them a state and full authority to run it?

State? Why give them that much real estate? Give them a scenario like Battle Royale. Drop all of the criminals and the people that support less law and order into an enclosed game area. Make it 20 miles in diameter in some wilderness somewhere. They have to kill each other until only one remains to win their way back into society. But here's the trick: crime's never going to stop. We're just gonna keep dropping people into the "game area". There'll never be a winner.

We could televise it.

Loser
09-26-2016, 04:16 AM

Meh, if you really want to help, pick something that isn't a varmint round.

Hell, even a 9mm is twice as big as a .223.

DemonGeminiX
09-26-2016, 05:34 AM
:-k

What caliber would you go with?

Loser
09-26-2016, 06:05 AM
Oh, no, you're mistaken.

99.5% of people from chicago I wouldn't trust with a potato cannon, let alone a real firearm.

RBP
09-26-2016, 06:17 AM
Oh, no, you're mistaken.

99.5% of people from chicago I wouldn't trust with a potato cannon, let alone a real firearm.

I wish i could remeber where I saw it, but among the many articles I read recently about Chicago violence, one made me laugh with a simple truthful statement.

It basically said, "they have a target, but they don't have very good aim, so a lot of bystanders get shot" :lol: