PDA

View Full Version : Dishwashers harbour 'killer bugs'

AntZ
06-22-2011, 07:38 AM
Dishwashers harbour 'killer bugs'

For many householders, it is most sparkling area of the kitchen. But the inside of people's dishwashers could be harbouring potentially lethal bugs, according to scientists.

By Harry Wallop, Consumer Affairs Editor

5:05PM BST 21 Jun 2011

The inside of the appliances, which four in ten homes in Britain own, are the perfect breeding ground for fungi associated with potentially deadly illnesses.

The moist and hot environment, combined with the alkaline water caused by the dishwasher tablets, means that the machines appear to have created a previously unknown and possibly serious threat to human health, the research paper has suggested.

The scientists studied 189 dishwashers in 101 different homes around the world. They found 62 per cent of dishwashers contained fungi on the rubber band in the door. More than half of these included the black yeasts Exophiala dermatitidis and E. phaeomuriformis which are known to be dangerous to human health.

Writing in the journal Fungal Biology, Dr Polona Zalar of the University of Ljubljana, said that "the potential hazard they represent should not be overlooked".

Her co-author Nina Gunde-Cimerman told The Daily Telegraph: "One thing that is not in the report is that we tested the dishes after they had been cleaned in these dishwashers and they were full of this black yeast, so too the cutlery that you put in your mouth. We just don't know how serious this could be."

Black yeasts are particularly dangerous for people with cystic fibrosis, as they are able to attack the lungs. They have also been found to occasionally cause fatal infections in healthy humans.

Both Exophiala species displayed remarkable tolerance to heat, high salt concentrations, aggressive detergents and to both acid and alkaline water.

This explains why the fungi survived even in high temperatures between 60 º to 80 º C, and despite the use of detergents and salt in the dishwasher.

This is the latest in a long line of health scares to raise concerns about everyday consumer goods. Which?, the consumer group, found that computer keyboards contained five times as many bugs as a lavatory on average. Meanwhile tests on shoppers’ bags, by the University of Arizona, revealed half contained traces of E.coli, the food poisoning bug that killed over 20 people in Europe over the last month.

Dishwasher manufacturers declined to comment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8589765/Dishwashers-harbour-killer-bugs.html

redred
06-22-2011, 08:10 AM
no way am i washing up by hand [-( i don't care

DemonGeminiX
06-22-2011, 08:54 AM
You lazy bastard. :P

I always wash my dishes by hand. I never make a mess big enough to warrant using the dishwasher. Besides, I'm faster.

redred
06-22-2011, 09:17 AM
i have a 4 year old child trust me when i say we need one :lol:

Arkady Renko
06-22-2011, 01:52 PM
maybe it would help if people read and followed the instructions for their appliances? the one for my dishwasher states that you should clean the rubber fitting at least once every two weeks because of the risk of fungus infestation.

Foxdana
06-22-2011, 01:54 PM
I have teenagers, who needs dishwashers! :lol:

Southern Belle
06-22-2011, 01:59 PM
I've never owned one.

Loser
06-22-2011, 04:15 PM
I own one, use it as storage. Have never turned it on even once :lol:

Muddy
06-22-2011, 04:30 PM
I have a Mack Daddy Kitchenaid dishwasher...

Arkady Renko
06-22-2011, 04:36 PM
without a dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer I'd probably go insane inside a week. Well, the tumble dryer i could probably do without but the other two are essential.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-22-2011, 05:04 PM
When my dishwasher breaks, I smack her

Arkady Renko
06-22-2011, 05:21 PM
When my dishwasher breaks, I smack her

and fungus? Please tell me she doesn't have fungus on the rim of her flap

Muddy
06-22-2011, 05:25 PM
jesus...

Arkady Renko
06-22-2011, 05:26 PM
jesus had groupies to do his household chores for him.

Muddy
06-22-2011, 05:42 PM
No way... Jesus washed peoples feet...

Arkady Renko
06-22-2011, 05:45 PM
but not their dishes leave alone their cutlery.