PDA

View Full Version : Study shows millennials aren't getting the flu vaccine because they don't trust it

Teh One Who Knocks
10-17-2016, 11:27 AM
by Cimaron Neugebauer - KUTV Channel 2

http://i.imgur.com/lWMGTN5.jpg

(KUTV) Parents say their kids think they are invincible, but now the demographic of humans that believe they are invincible has apparently widened to include grown adults who don't trust the flu shot.

A recent study shows the majority of millennials are planning to not get the flu shot because they don't see the point.

CityMD's study shows out of more than 2,000 respondents, 52 percent of millennials surveyed said they won't be getting the flu vaccine this year because of the following reasons:

49 percent said they don't trust that it will keep them from getting the flu.
29 percent said they think it could make them sick.
25 percent don't want to spend the money.
23 percent don't think they need it because they've never gotten the flu.
4 percent don’t know where to get the flu shot.

The study was conducted on adults age 18 and older to see if Americans planned on getting the flu shot during the 2016-2017 influenza season, which typically peaks between late November to March.

Twenty-five percent said they don't want to spend the money. The CDC reports the average cost of the vaccine is between $25-35. That's the price of a week's worth of Starbucks coffee every day or roughly filling your car's tank mostly full with gas. At any rate, it is cheaper than missing four days or more of work due to contracting the influenza virus.

In the age of Google it is astounding 4% of millennials claimed they did not know where to get the flu shot.

A Business Insider story suggests the reason millennials may be more likely to be anit-vaxxers is because they weren't born before 1963 when some of the rare and emerging diseases were really a problem. Now 1 in 5 millennials believe vaccinations actually do more harm than good and in some cases cause autism. Even though the now-debunked study wrongly linked autism to vaccinations in young children, according to Business Insider. The man who originally published the research linking autism to vaccination has now had his medical license revoked, the Business Insider reported. The study also was officially retracted in 2010. But many still continue to believe it.

A story in The New York Times tried to illustrate how hard it would be to get a millennial to get a flu shot.

A Midwest doctor's office, Northwestern Children's Practice tried to appeal to the millennial crowd and beyond by making a YouTube video playing off pop culture. The doctor's office did a parody of "My Shot," from the wildly popular and successful Broadway show "Hamilton."

DemonGeminiX
10-17-2016, 11:30 AM
I never get the flu vaccine. :idk:

deebakes
10-17-2016, 12:43 PM
my employer essentially requires it :shrug:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-17-2016, 12:50 PM
My whole family gets it every year

deebakes
10-17-2016, 01:04 PM
:+1:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-17-2016, 04:19 PM
I never have. It's a total crapshoot anyway. What's the point? I can't even recall the last time I had the flu anyway, so I really don't see the reason for it

deebakes
10-17-2016, 04:34 PM
:fbd:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-17-2016, 04:40 PM
I've gotten the flu shot 4 out of the last 5 years, the one year that I didn't get the flu shot, I got the flu. So sick that I wish I had been dead.

Goofy
10-17-2016, 05:05 PM
Never had the shot and only had real flu once in my life :)

Teh One Who Knocks
10-17-2016, 05:15 PM
Never had the shot and only had real flu once in my life :)

Probably has something to do with the fact that there's too much alcohol in your blood for the flu virus to survive :-k

PorkChopSandwiches
10-17-2016, 05:21 PM
I've have thought that may be the case for me too :lol:

RBP
10-17-2016, 05:54 PM
:lol:

Loser
10-18-2016, 05:22 AM
The one and only time I've had the actual flu, was the one year I got that fking shot.

Never again.

Goofy
10-18-2016, 12:01 PM
Probably has something to do with the fact that there's too much alcohol in your blood for the flu virus to survive :-k

Precisely, self-medication ftw! :cheers:

deebakes
10-18-2016, 01:08 PM
The one and only time I've had the actual flu, was the one year I got that fking shot.

Never again.

:tinfoil:

:fbd:

Muddy
10-18-2016, 03:22 PM
So fuck em'.. Who cares?

Godfather
10-19-2016, 02:41 AM
I'd never had a flu shot before before last year... my wife always gets it so that's a bit of heard immunity.

Last year I decided to get it though and didn't get sick all winter... probably for the fist time in a decade.

Depending on how good they are at guessing which strains will be bad it can decrease chances of catching the flu quite significantly, or at least 20-30% on a bad year. You also protect people around you. I have old grandmothers, baby cousins, and family who are diabetic (the shot reduces the chances of them being hospitalized by flu up to 80%)

I dono, I see now downside and my company pays for it.