PDA

View Full Version : Lawmakers to introduce bill to legalize marijuana

PorkChopSandwiches
06-23-2011, 04:04 AM
A group of US representatives plan to introduce legislation that will legalize marijuana and allow states to legislate its use, pro-marijuana groups said Wednesday.
The legislation would limit the federal government's role in marijuana enforcement to cross-border or inter-state smuggling, and allow people to legally grow, use or sell marijuana in states where it is legal.
The bill, which is expected to be introduced on Thursday by Republican Representative Ron Paul and Democratic Representative Barney Frank, would be the first ever legislation designed to end the federal ban on marijuana.
Sixteen of the 50 states as well as the District of Columbia have legalized the use of marijuana for medical purposes.
But planting, selling or commercially distributing marijuana remains illegal under federal law.
Last year, California citizens voted not to legalize recreational marijuana use, although the debate continues in about half a dozen other states.
Three weeks ago a group of ex-presidents of Latin America as well as former United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan denounced the failure of the global war on drugs and called for urgent changes, including the legalization of cannabis.
Between 1998 and 2008, worldwide consumption of opiates increased 35 percent, with cocaine use growing 27 percent and marijuana use growing 8.5 percent, according to the Global Commission on Drug Policy.
June marks the 40th anniversary of the "War on Drugs" launched by President Richard Nixon in 1970, the first major US anti-drug initiative.

RBP
06-23-2011, 05:02 AM
You know, I have never held this position before, but fuck it, legalize it and tax it.

SmoothBob
06-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Britain needs to do this too..

..but wont, because of the draconian laws and attitudes on this stupid bloody island :banghead:

Softdreamer
06-23-2011, 11:44 AM
After watching "the war we can never win" its clear that the drugs industry need to be legalised. Everyone who has ever worked in the anti drugs system, be it police, intelligence, customs, or social workers agree that the current system is not working.
Legalise it, and tax it. Force distributors to go above board. It will save thousands of lives and draw a revenue stream of billions, instead of costing the taxpayer billions in fighting it.

FBD
06-23-2011, 02:10 PM
PC is still too prevalent, this bill will be doa in the senate if it ever reaches it. Too many people interested in preserving the status quo.

Muddy
06-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Just legalize it so Porky will stop posting these articles.... :razz:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Bwahahahahahahahahahaha :lol:

Hal-9000
06-23-2011, 03:58 PM
You know, I have never held this position before, but fuck it, legalize it and tax it.

Are you fookin high right now???! :x what the hell is wrong with you...

:dance: I've always wanted to do that

Shady
06-24-2011, 01:57 AM
I'm actually very interested in seeing how far this goes. It will most definitely get shot down but I'm curious as to see how far it gets and the discussion it create not only in Congress but also amongst the general public or if it even gets any air time by the media.

I think its a great idea. As adults we should be allow to make informed decisions about what we want to do. We know the dangers of alcohol and a majority of us still decide to use the substance. Plus there is a huge monetary reason. Think of how many billions is gained in alcohol tax in the US each year.

deebakes
06-24-2011, 01:58 AM
legalize :tup:

Godfather
06-24-2011, 03:03 AM
Agreed. Legalize it. For so many reasons.

RBP
06-24-2011, 03:08 AM
Isn't personal use legal in Canada?

Godfather
06-24-2011, 03:40 AM
No it's not legal. But it's all unclear and has been constantly up for debate and in and out of court in various ways for years now

It's illegal but not enforced, and they don't prosecute for use and possession of small amounts. Medical weed is oddly difficult to get a prescription for and growing it is still criminal. It's all 'up for dispute'

Loser
06-24-2011, 04:45 AM
Political correctness and common sense isn't the reason this will fail.

It's jobs.

How many jobs were created by the war on drugs?

I'm betting 100,000+.

Godfather
06-24-2011, 05:55 AM
The war on drugs will still continue.... The need for the DEA and local police isn't going anywhere.

And the tobacco industry employees 60,000 Americans (googled that, could be low or high). Legalized and taxed weed could create jobs and earn the government money too.

Softdreamer
06-24-2011, 09:31 AM
My one issue with with legalizing it, is the 'legal age of use'.
Smoking hash regularly inhibits the brains development, physically and socially. It should NOT be allowed for 18 year olds to smoke their life away more than they do already.
Id say 21+ at least.
maybe even 25.

420 guys..

SmoothBob
06-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Shit, it was yesterday I read this, have they no put it through yet? :meh:

Loser
06-24-2011, 08:46 PM
The war on drugs will still continue.... The need for the DEA and local police isn't going anywhere.

And the tobacco industry employees 60,000 Americans (googled that, could be low or high). Legalized and taxed weed could create jobs and earn the government money too.

Yes, but also imagine the amount of people that are in prison for multiple minor pot offenses. The privatization of prisons is big business. Imagine how much inmate counts would fall? I'm sure lobbyists will do everything they can to stop this.

FBD
06-24-2011, 09:00 PM
My one issue with with legalizing it, is the 'legal age of use'.
Smoking hash regularly inhibits the brains development, physically and socially. It should NOT be allowed for 18 year olds to smoke their life away more than they do already.
Id say 21+ at least.
maybe even 25.

420 guys..

21. You're never going to convince anyone of the reality that the brain keeps developing through the late 20s :roll: (well...unless you do a job on it earlier, of course...some people never make it past 10 as far as their brain is concerned.)

Softdreamer
06-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Most studies seem to point to the brain not settling down until 25 upwards. Before then you are more likely to make rash decisions and regret them.
CAT scans show that brain areas when making decisions are chaotic and random before then.

Muddy
06-24-2011, 11:38 PM
Sometimes when I smoke weed, I feel like I am a schizophrenic..

Hal-9000
06-25-2011, 02:31 AM
I'm currently smoking oil that my friend made..he has an intense 5 hour process of cooking his mixture with isopropanol over low heat and then filters the golden glue until it's thick and pure.
Removes all of the harmful chlorophyll and plant matter.

I have no issues with weeeeeed cuz I'm not smoking it :dance:

Softdreamer
06-25-2011, 09:14 PM
I used to cook with it, different world my friend!!!

you can get hash butter through customs too. Doesnt even have an odour if its done right.

Cookies and cakes are OK, but give me a chocolate and mint & Hash pancake with a dollop of Vanilla Ice Cream and a drizzle of honey and im away with the fairies for hours........