PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Postal Strike?

Muddy
06-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Just heard about it today... When's it end?

golfer
06-23-2011, 08:25 PM
when they get a pay raise and more time off and a larger pension... but those are just my thoughts from the south :lol:

Muddy
06-23-2011, 08:28 PM
They already get free health care... wtf?

Noilly Pratt
06-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Right now parliament is hashing out a deal and "won't stop the meeting until there's a deal done".

Sit tight kids, it's gonna be a bumpy ride....

I believe the main discussion is about new hires -- they won't be getting the same benefits, etc as the established ones. If there's anyone who knows more, feel free to chime in.

Muddy
06-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Sweet.. Keep me a breast..

Goofy
06-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Yeah......... Hal, that's the reason that cheque i send you hasn't arrived yet :)

Hal-9000
06-23-2011, 10:00 PM
As I mentioned, I worked for Canada Post years ago.We counted, helped sort and weighed the daily mail at the plant for the carriers.We were paid very well for the work.

My guy was a veteran and he complained one day because his mail bag weighed 28 lbs...

Here was his day - get in, sort the mail into slots and fill his bag.Coffee and ping pong until 11am, then go out and deliver letters for approximately 1.5 hours.
Then go home.

They are one of the most overpaid professions IMO and our guys go on strike about every second year it seems....:rolleyes:

Noilly Pratt
06-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Usually at Christmas!

Teh One Who Knocks
06-23-2011, 10:21 PM
You guys get mail in Canada? :confused:

Pony
06-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Did someone say Breast?

Godfather
06-24-2011, 01:02 AM
Few seem to notice or care. Just goes to show how little we need it anymore. Honestly, nothing comes for me in the mail of any importance. If it does, it should go electronic soon.

Posties are generally whiney dicks. I know a few/worked beside a depot for years. They're striking for far more than any related union gets already. Making 20-30+ $/hr (which is HUGE for manual labor) and clocking out for 8 hours after doing their shift in 6. You know what a big complaint is? They're lowering the starting wage of new posties to $17/hr from $24. That's a fair wage still considering the poverty line is around 16$/hr and minimum wage is $8-10

And Uhh... why were brand new employees making 48k/year to deliver A&W fliers?!?!

Hope the Conservatives order them back to work... and maybe to grow a pair.

Muddy
06-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Did someone say Breast?

I was wondering if that was going to go unnoticed.. :mrgreen:

Noilly Pratt
06-28-2011, 12:30 AM
I just got something in the mail today...so I guess they're back to work. GF has it absolutely right.

I'm a computer tech, and part of my wage comes from IBM, part of it from Gov't of BC and I get paid less than the average person in Canada Post.

I do get great benefits, (I get to work from home, call my own hours etc) so I am not complaining one bit.

I was earning what I earn now in the late 80's with my own private computer thing, but I had a suspected ulcer and no life to speak of....I'll take health, a happier life, and lower wages over the almighty $ everytime!

Muddy
06-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Yeah, they're back. We got notified by the usps that if we wanted to ship to Can. again we could.