PDA

View Full Version : Which Mattress?

Noilly Pratt
06-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Just curious as we've just upgraded from a Queen sized bed to a King...what size mattress are y'all sleeping on and is it a good sleep? How old is it?

A visual aid...as I only know N. American Sizes.

http://i56.tinypic.com/11hyrth.jpg

My research indicates other parts of the world are slightly different...here's the UK

http://i56.tinypic.com/t8x64n.jpg

So, whaddya got?

Our Queen was 12 years old and it was done. Had the opportunity at a friend's estate sale to pick up the king, the box springs, 2 antique side tables and the rails for $250.

Muddy
06-23-2011, 10:05 PM
The King, baby...

Hal-9000
06-23-2011, 10:05 PM
I used to have a single waterbed for 22 yrs....moved on up to a single hard mattress with an inch of crappy, expensive memory foam on top.

Guys in prison have more comfortable arrangements :|

Hal-9000
06-23-2011, 10:06 PM
mine's called The Monk's Cell 2000 :lol:

Godfather
06-24-2011, 01:08 AM
Mine's a Double. This it's a Seally mattress (bowling ball in the ad one) that's around 2 years old. It's nice.

I had a Queen at school but the size difference isn't noticeable unless the girlie is sleeping over.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-24-2011, 01:11 AM
Mine's a full-size

http://www.furniturerow.com/DenverMattressCo/Steamboat-Firm-Mattress-Group/Steamboat-Firm-Full-Mattress-Set/prod531925/

It's about 5 years old now I think :-k

Hal-9000
06-24-2011, 01:18 AM
full size to accommodate your full size Kardashian butt!

Griffin
06-24-2011, 10:10 AM
King size, and it seems too small if my 5 year old granddaughter stays over.:lol:

Softdreamer
06-24-2011, 10:19 AM
UK sizes..

I used to have a Super King size bed, which was great, but difficult to get linen for.
Now I have a King Size, but IMO, its not the size of the bed, but who you share it with thats important. now matter how big it is, if its got two people a dog and two cats the sofa will always be more appealing

redred
06-24-2011, 10:38 AM
double for me and about 6 years old i think

Yt Trash
06-24-2011, 11:09 AM
King size, Pillow top Semi firm Mattress. I just recently in last 5-6 months bought a new mattress. It's a pain in the ass to go all day shopping for one. After a while they all feel the same. I had chronic back problems and it was attributed to the 13 year old mattress I had before this one. What a difference it makes to sleep on something new. BTW, who knew mattresses can range from a $500 all the way up to $5,000. Surprisingly, we didn't end up with an over the top high dollar mattress. Don't buy from a store where the salesperson in on commission. They won't push something you don't need.

Arkady Renko
06-24-2011, 11:59 AM
I have a 2x2 meter (about 6'7" square) bed with rather hard matresses. Large enough to allow me to toss and turn without disturbing my wife and also to accomodate visitors after dawn

KevinD
06-24-2011, 01:19 PM
I sleep on (when I'm home that is, lol) a queen memory foam from Sealy. Hands down, best mattress I've ever slept on. Had it for almost 2 years now. I have mild scoliosis (curvature of spine) and used to get bad back pains, sometimes debilitating. I suffer with that though my entire 30's, even though I do take care of my back. Since I've switched to the memory foam, no more pains.

MrsM
06-24-2011, 01:28 PM
King size pillow top Seally (I think) - it's 5 yrs old. It was great - however we are noticing body impressions in the matress and will be looking to put in a replacement claim soon. We bought the 10 yr coverage. The bed was $2000 and was the most comfortable bed ever

Noilly Pratt
06-24-2011, 03:06 PM
I found that with the old Queen mattress, which I bought from a local place for $250 new(!) A Sealy (not a posturepedic, but the model down...forgotten). It lasted 11 years then just literally gave out, sloping to the center no matter if you rotated it or not. I cannot complain about the performance for the money, though.

This King set I picked up used for $250 -- 10 year old Sears one that I found the original price tag for it was $1300. It is a kind of sad story, really.

My sister-in-law's next door neighbour - the husband - had to go into a home about 10 years ago, and died shortly thereafter...after that, the lady of the house declined quickly and had to go into a home herself. Turns out they'd bought this set and slept on it maybe for a month, and the house remained unoccupied for nearly 9 years, and my sister would go over and vaccuum occasionally and make the house looked lived in. The daughter of the lady couldn't bring herself to ask her Mum to sell the house, always having the hope that she could go back.

The house was paid for, and the daughter kept the taxes paid. 2 years ago, they had one of my nephews sleep in the basement bedroom just to say the house was occupied (insurance is massively greater on unoccupied houses vs occupied ones).

Well, the woman finally passed away at her rest home and her daughter had an estate sale and practically gave the King size to us. In return, since I had a van, I helped her take things to the dump and generally helped in the sale of stuff for her.

We've become fast friends, and bonded over the fact that I had to do all that 10 years ago when my Mum passed away. Never an easy thing...an estate sale.

My back, for the first time in about a year is nearly ache-free so I'm very thankful!

MrsM
06-24-2011, 03:15 PM
I found that with the old Queen mattress, which I bought from a local place for $250 new(!) A Sealy (not a posturepedic, but the model down...forgotten). It lasted 11 years then just literally gave out, sloping to the center no matter if you rotated it or not. I cannot complain about the performance for the money, though.

This King set I picked up used for $250 -- 10 year old Sears one that I found the original price tag for it was $1300. It is a kind of sad story, really.

My sister-in-law's next door neighbour - the husband - had to go into a home about 10 years ago, and died shortly thereafter...after that, the lady of the house declined quickly and had to go into a home herself. Turns out they'd bought this set and slept on it maybe for a month, and the house remained unoccupied for nearly 9 years, and my sister would go over and vaccuum occasionally and make the house looked lived in. The daughter of the lady couldn't bring herself to ask her Mum to sell the house, always having the hope that she could go back.

The house was paid for, and the daughter kept the taxes paid. 2 years ago, they had one of my nephews sleep in the basement bedroom just to say the house was occupied (insurance is massively greater on unoccupied houses vs occupied ones).

Well, the woman finally passed away at her rest home and her daughter had an estate sale and practically gave the King size to us. In return, since I had a van, I helped her take things to the dump and generally helped in the sale of stuff for her.

We've become fast friends, and bonded over the fact that I had to do all that 10 years ago when my Mum passed away. Never an easy thing...an estate sale.

My back, for the first time in about a year is nearly ache-free so I'm very thankful!

Karma points :tup:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-24-2011, 04:10 PM
I had a California King for a long time, but when I bought my house the master bedroom was to small to keep it, so now we have a Queen Tempur-Pedic. I can't wait to get home to sleep on it after spending time out of town.

Arkady Renko
06-24-2011, 04:26 PM
I had a California King for a long time, but when I bought my house the master bedroom was to small to keep it, so now we have a Queen Tempur-Pedic. I can't wait to get home to sleep on it after spending time out of town.

yeah, isn't it awful how many hotels have the shittiest mattresses, even the otherwise classy places? I avoid sleeping out of town whenever I can. I'd rather spend the evening in a train and sleep at home than stay in a hotel.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-24-2011, 04:32 PM
yeah, isn't it awful how many hotels have the shittiest mattresses, even the otherwise classy places? I avoid sleeping out of town whenever I can. I'd rather spend the evening in a train and sleep at home than stay in a hotel.

Plus once you get used to the memory foam (which does take a while to do) Its hard to switch back.

Hal-9000
06-24-2011, 04:39 PM
I have to sleep on my bed...on my water filled pillow..or else horrible neck and jaw problems ensue the next day :|

I used to be able to sleep on any couch, the floor...a pool table :lol: no problemo

Albert8100
03-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Mine's a full-size

It's about 5 years old now I think :-k
Quality is most important thing in buying mattress from anywhere...me and my wife looking forward to buy new mattress for home.I have entered that site and find some interesting things there.This information will be helpful for me...thanks man...

DemonGeminiX
03-20-2012, 06:44 PM
I got a full size. I've had the frame for about 20 years (could probably use a new one but I hate furniture shopping). I'm thinking about replacing the mattress and box spring. It'll be the 2nd time I've done that.

redred
03-20-2012, 07:00 PM
since we moved house i've now upgraded to a king size which 80mm 1200 pocket sprung then 25 mm of memory foam topped with lamb cashmir ,it's great to sleep on :lol:

Richard Cranium
03-20-2012, 07:08 PM
My wife and I slept on a high dollar pillow top queen for 15 years, got a no name king with a memory foam topper 2 years ago and have never looked back. I could sleep on the floor with that memory foam and not give it a second thought.

Southern Belle
03-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Glad to read this, Hubby and I are going to be mattress shopping soon. We have a queen set on an antique bed that is a little short for Hubby. We not only need a longer bed but a bigger mattress, although I don't think a king will fit in our bedroom without major furniture rearranging.
After your comments, I'll be checking out memory foam!

redred
03-20-2012, 08:43 PM
belle my first night on my new mattress was great it was like having a double sleep ,best i'd had in years

Hal-9000
03-20-2012, 08:46 PM
I sleep on a single size, pee stained cot :thumbsup:

Southern Belle
03-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Nice! I know we need one, we just need to decide and buy!
Our mattresses are at least 10 years old. I wake up all through the night and have to turn from side to side because my of my hips aching.

MrsM
03-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Nice! I know we need one, we just need to decide and buy!
Our mattresses are at least 10 years old. I wake up all through the night and have to turn from side to side because my of my hips aching.

I would go to a mattress store and try a bunch out - you don't need to buy from them - but they usually have a good selection to try

MrsM
03-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Sorry - double post

Hal-9000
03-20-2012, 09:19 PM
I sleep on a single size, pee stained cot :thumbsup:

Nice! I know we need one...

:rofl: