View Full Version : President Obama said Fox News had a lot to do with Hillary Clinton’s loss to Donald Trump

Teh One Who Knocks
12-01-2016, 12:56 PM
Matt Naham, Rare Staff

http://i.imgur.com/bZLde78.jpg

With the final days of his second term in office upon him, President Barack Obama watched as the Democratic Party’s presidential candidate Hillary Clinton was defeated by Donald Trump, a man Obama said was “unfit” to be president numerous times before the Election Day results rolled in.

President Obama sat down with Rolling Stone for an interview the day after the election to discuss what had taken place.

Among other things, the president mentioned Fox News by name as having a role in a Trump victory.

When asked if he thought America is “still a progressive country,” Obama answered that, while “nothing is determined,” he believes “the number of people who have a strong belief in a fair, just, equal, inclusive America is the majority and is growing.”

The president wrestled with the fact that “there [was] a cohort of working-class white voters that voted for [him] in sizable numbers” who “turned out in huge numbers for Trump.”

Obama said that Democrats’ “inability” and “failure” to reach those voters had to do with Fox News and a lacking in the grassroots work of Democrats.

“Part of it is Fox News in every bar and restaurant in big chunks of the country, but part of it is also Democrats not working at a grassroots level, being in there, showing up, making arguments,” he said.

“That part of the critique of the Democratic Party is accurate. We spend a lot of time focused on international policy and national policy and less time being on the ground. And when we’re on the ground, we do well,” he added.

The president also said social media and “a hundred different visions of the world from a hundred different outlets or a thousand different outlets” played a role in increasing partisan divisions.

“It’s making people exaggerate or say what’s most controversial or peddling in the most vicious of insults or lies, because that attracts eyeballs,” he said. “And if we are gonna solve that, it’s not going to be simply an issue of subsidizing or propping up traditional media; it’s going to be figuring out how do we organize in a virtual world the same way we organize in the physical world. We have to come up with new models.”

It’s not the first time President Obama has mentioned Fox News publicly.

At a speech he gave at Northwestern University in October of 2014, the president criticized Fox News for being wrong about Obamacare.

“There’s a reason fewer are running against Obamacare,” he said. “Because while good, affordable health care might still be a fanged threat to freedom on Fox News, it’s working pretty well in the real world.”

In an interview with Bill O’Reilly during halftime of the Super Bowl in 2014, Obama took issue with Fox News’ coverage of the IRS and Benghazi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwQZbQ54iOo

In 2010, also in an interview with Rolling Stone, President Obama was asked if Fox News was good for America and democracy.

Here was his reply:

[Laughs] Look, as president, I swore to uphold the Constitution, and part of that Constitution is a free press. We’ve got a tradition in this country of a press that oftentimes is opinionated. The golden age of an objective press was a pretty narrow span of time in our history. Before that, you had folks like Hearst who used their newspapers very intentionally to promote their viewpoints. I think Fox is part of that tradition — it is part of the tradition that has a very clear, undeniable point of view. It’s a point of view that I disagree with. It’s a point of view that I think is ultimately destructive for the long-term growth of a country that has a vibrant middle class and is competitive in the world. But as an economic enterprise, it’s been wildly successful. And I suspect that if you ask Mr. Murdoch what his number-one concern is, it’s that Fox is very successful.

Griffin
12-02-2016, 12:33 AM
Matt Naham,
a man Obama said was “unfit” to be president

pot or kettle?

PorkChopSandwiches
12-02-2016, 01:04 AM
Lol, it couldn't have had anything to do with the past 8 years or their candidate

lost in melb.
12-02-2016, 01:17 AM
Obama said that Democrats’ “inability” and “failure” to reach those voters had to do with Fox News and a lacking in the grassroots work of Democrats.

When I read or hear Obama, what he says mostly makes sense to me :idk:

Griffin
12-02-2016, 01:31 AM

It's a lot like hearing Alice falling through the rabbit hole then seeing the queen lopping off the heads.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-02-2016, 01:33 AM

Except for it is spin, they won't accept responsibility for the fact people are tired of their shit and they will continue to lose voters since they are losing voter support.
Nothing with the news or campaigning. The news he refers to is them being exposed.

Muddy
12-02-2016, 02:20 AM
I dont agree with Obama. I dont think his vision of America represents the majority.. It represents someone that sees the other side of the fence as greener.. His views are more that of a globalist than that of a nationalist.I think he's cool with tearing some down to build others up..

lost in melb.
12-02-2016, 04:47 AM
It's true. we mostly see the globalist.

The 'white' middle class story is neglected. I don't think you are thought poorly of, but rather taken for granted

Hikari Kisugi
12-02-2016, 04:05 PM
Lol, it couldn't have had anything to do with the past 8 years or their candidate

No convinced the last 8 years did, more the Hilary factor. I think if any bland normal bloke had been running democrat he would have potentially provided a better opponent to the trump.
Hardly matters now anyway.

Fox news when I occasionally view it, seems very blinkered and somewhat retarded at times. I'd hate to have that all the time as a news platform.

RBP
12-02-2016, 04:09 PM
I dont agree with Obama. I dont think his vision of America represents the majority.. It represents someone that sees the other side of the fence as greener.. His views are more that of a globalist than that of a nationalist.I think he's cool with tearing some down to build others up..

He won the Nobel peace prize, you small-minded heathen. :hand:

DemonGeminiX
12-02-2016, 04:35 PM
No convinced the last 8 years did, more the Hilary factor. I think if any bland normal bloke had been running democrat he would have potentially provided a better opponent to the trump.
Hardly matters now anyway.

Fox news when I occasionally view it, seems very blinkered and somewhat retarded at times. I'd hate to have that all the time as a news platform.

Trust me. The last 8 years did. ;)

I'd rather watch Fox News then the other horseshit cable news channels that we have here.