PDA

View Full Version : Mark Wahlberg Says Celebrities Should ‘Shut Up’ About Politics

Teh One Who Knocks
12-01-2016, 01:15 PM
By Emily Zanotti - Heat Street

http://i.imgur.com/VQCqLfbh.jpg

Donald Trump has been “casting a looming shadow” over Hollywood these days, as celebrities, artists and movie-makers seek to handle the emotional ramifications of a failed Hillary Clinton Presidential bid.

Everyone from Oliver Stone to Rosie O’Donnell, from Hollywoods A-list to D-list, has opined on the election. At Tuesday night’s Gotham Awards in New York, political opinions were more popular than the crab roll appetizers.

But at least one Hollywood A-lister claims he’s bowing out of the political game. Mark Wahlberg, who stars in the upcoming film Patriot’s Day, says it’s high time celebrities recognize that no one between the coasts cares what they think about the President.

“A lot of celebrities did, do, and shouldn’t [talk politics],” he told Task & Purpose magazine. “They might buy your CD or watch your movie, but you don’t put food on their table. You don’t pay their bills. A lot of Hollywood is living in a bubble. They’re pretty out of touch with the common person, the everyday guy out there providing for their family.”

He pointed out that his decision to stay mum on policy issues comes from the fact that he spent his life around real Americans. “Me, I’m very aware of the real world. I come from the real world and I exist in the real world,” he said. “And although I can navigate Hollywood and I love the business and the opportunities it’s afforded me, I also understand what it’s like not to have all that.”

Wahlberg, who has been everything from an underwear model to one-hit-wonder ’90s rap star to an Oscar contender, grew up in the working class Dorchester neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts. He never graduated high school and was addicted to drugs by age 13. In interviews, he says he turned his life around with the help of a Catholic priest, and began acting.

Wahlberg did tell T&P, however, that Patriot’s Day, which deals with Boston’s response in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombing, can’t be completely divorced from the political environment. It makes the point that lone-wolf terrorism is a difficult threat to address, and Wahlberg said that he doesn’t believe a registry for Muslim Americans would have prevented the attack.

“[A]nything like that is just completely absurd and unacceptable to me. I’m a devout Catholic. I have a lot of Jewish friends. I’ve got a lot of friends from all over the world. And I think a lot of good people have been mistreated for a long time and we need to fix that.”

Muddy
12-01-2016, 03:10 PM
God bless this man.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-01-2016, 04:38 PM
:tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-01-2016, 04:41 PM
Just another reason to respect him...he was already one of my favorite actors.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-01-2016, 04:46 PM
Yeah, he seems to be the real deal

DemonGeminiX
12-01-2016, 11:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO9909uexu8&ab_channel=витсад"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO9909uexu8