PDA

View Full Version : Police shoot knife-wielding teen at Reno high school

Teh One Who Knocks
12-08-2016, 01:14 PM
By Yaron Steinbuch - New York Post

http://i.imgur.com/zu4ekqgl.jpg

RENO, Nev. — A student at a Nevada high school who allegedly threatened his classmates with a knife was captured in disturbing images posted in social media as he was shot by a campus cop, according to reports.

The 14-year-old student at Hug High School in Reno was shot and critically injured by a Washoe County school district officer Wednesday morning, the Reno Gazzette-Journal reported.

Police and school officials would not name the teen, but Justin Clark identified him as his son, Logan, the paper reported.

More than 40 students witnessed the terrifying scene, including several who recorded it on cellphone video, Reno police spokesman Tim Broadway said.

“There’s multiple videos out there,” Broadway said. “There’s some very disturbing video out there. But there are other events that led up to this incident, so please don’t react to those.”

The cop who opened fire hasn’t been identified and was placed on administrative leave, he said.

“A student is in the hospital, and a thorough investigation is underway,” the district said in a statement, emphasizing that it called Reno police, the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office and the FBI.

Reno Police Chief Jason Soto said the incident began when two students were involved in an altercation at 11:25 a.m. When one of them brandished a knife and threatened others, the cop told him to drop it – and shot him when he refused.

http://i.imgur.com/69QUjUn.jpg

The officer then administered first aid to the boy, Soto told the paper.

A video posted on Facebook later in the day showed the boy, wearing a Navy blue shirt and light pants, holding the long blade as someone yells, “Back up! Back up!”

A gunshot is then heard and the boy falls, writhing in pain as screams are heard. The officer approaches him with his gun drawn.

Other videos also were posted in social media, including on Twitter.

Jiselle Mandugano, 17, told the Reno paper that said was outside the cafeteria when she saw a group of students gather around two other students who appeared to be fighting.

One student pulled out a knife and began swinging at the other, Mandugano said.

http://i.imgur.com/8G2nkYb.jpg

“The other kid tried to avoid it,” she said. “I didn’t see him get shot. I just saw him fall to the floor. I was scared. I don’t know what I was feeling.”

Demick Laflamme, who rushed to the school, said his son is friends with the shot student, who had been “bullied for days.”

“He’s a good kid,” Laflamme said about the student. “All of his friends like him.”

Broadway urged witnesses to turn all videos over to police and said initial reports that another student had been stabbed before the shooting weren’t true.

School officials said classes would resume as scheduled on Thursday.

“Counselors will be available for any student or staff member who needs assistance,” Washoe County School Superintendent Traci Davis said in a statement.

deebakes
12-09-2016, 12:41 AM
:facepalm: