PDA

View Full Version : University of Wisconsin to Offer Class on ‘The Problem of Whiteness’

Teh One Who Knocks
12-17-2016, 11:45 AM
By the Heat Street Staff

http://i.imgur.com/Sj1ABITh.jpg

The University of Wisconsin-Madison will offer a spring semester class examining “the problem of whiteness” and “what it means to be #woke,” Campus Reform reports.

The course is being offered by the university’s African Cultural Studies department. According to an online description, students will be asked to examine “what it really means to be white,” and consider “how race is experienced by white people” in the United States and abroad.

“Critical Whiteness Studies aims to understand how whiteness is socially constructed and experienced in order to help dismantle white supremacy,” the description reads. “In this class, we will ask what an ethical white identity entails, what it means to be #woke, and consider the journal Race Traitor’s motto, ‘treason to whiteness is loyalty to humanity.'”

The course will satisfy the university’s “ethnic studies” requirement for graduation, and will be taught by an associate professor whose course load includes a class on “Global Hiphop and Social Justice.” The reading list for “The Problem of Whiteness” course includes Between the World and Me, the acclaimed memoir by Atlantic writer Ta-Nehisi Coates.

The University of Wisconsin has been criticized for its handling of racial issues in the past. Earlier this year, the school launched a controversial program called “Our Wisconsin,” consisting of freshman seminars to examine the appropriate interaction between ethnic groups.

deebakes
12-17-2016, 03:54 PM
#woke = #:puke:

RBP
12-17-2016, 06:04 PM
I am sitting here with 8 dollars, a maxed out credit card, and a nail bed infection I can't afford to get treated. But at least I have white privilege.

deebakes
12-17-2016, 06:42 PM
:shock:

true? :?

RBP
12-17-2016, 06:44 PM
:shock:

true? :?

Yes, but I have other options... not to worry, but thanks.

deebakes
12-17-2016, 06:53 PM
good luck with that buddy :gimme5:

RBP
12-17-2016, 07:59 PM
good luck with that buddy :gimme5:

I lanced the nail bed. :puke:

deebakes
12-17-2016, 11:00 PM
:wank:

Godfather
12-17-2016, 11:27 PM
I am sitting here with 8 dollars, a maxed out credit card, and a nail bed infection I can't afford to get treated. But at least I have white privilege.

You're only being opressed by other white people, so it doesn't count.

But jokes aside I hope you're ok. Let us know if we can help.

Griffin
12-17-2016, 11:27 PM
I lanced the nail bed. :puke:

and I was just sitting here wondering "what would Lance do..."

RBP
12-18-2016, 10:09 AM
You're only being opressed by other white people, so it doesn't count.

But jokes aside I hope you're ok. Let us know if we can help.

Your intentional misspelling of oppressed, in order to belittle the struggle, triggered me.

RBP
12-18-2016, 10:10 AM
and I was just sitting here wondering "what would Lance do..."

It was fucking gross, that's what lance did. And, as a general rule, that same applies in many situations. :lol:

perrhaps
12-19-2016, 10:08 AM
Your intentional misspelling of oppressed, in order to belittle the struggle, triggered me.

There's a safe place inside the old abandoned refridgerator down the street.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-04-2017, 11:40 AM
By Andrew Stiles- Heat Street

http://i.imgur.com/YgBsPq9h.jpg

The University of Wisconsin has come under fire for offering a spring semester course of the “Problem of Whiteness.” Republican lawmakers in Wisconsin have even threatened to cut off public funding if the university does not cancel the controversial offering, which purports to teach students “how whiteness is socially constructed and experienced in order to help dismantle white supremacy.”

Now the university’s student newspaper, The Daily Cardinal, is firing back at lawmakers. In an editorial published Monday, the paper’s editorial board wrote that it “ununequivocally supports” the course, calling it “essential to addressing campus climate issues,” and “necessary to confronting racism in our majority-white state and campus.”

The Cardinal editors applauded the University of Wisconsin for its “strong defense of academic freedom,” and chided state lawmakers for challenging the existence of a “legitimate” academic endeavor. “The course description states its goal of dismantling white supremacy,” the editors wrote. “Why would anyone be against that?”

The editorial includes quotes from Lauryn Siebold, described as a mixed-race student who plans to take the “Problem of Whiteness” class in the spring. Siebold described the lawmaker threats to withhold university funding as “ridiculous,” and complained that “the government is trying really hard to control your life.”

The board dismissed concerns over the content of the class, arguing that studying the “problem of whiteness” is not the same as teaching students about “the problem with white people,” and should not be construed as an attack on white people.

“The title ‘The Problem of Whiteness’ is not equivalent to ‘the problem with white people,'” the editorial concludes. “Rather, it reflects the notion that achieving racial equity and equality necessitates an understanding of whiteness, and the privileges that come with it.”

The editorial does not discuss the controversy surrounding Damon Sajnani, the professor slated to teach the course. Lawmakers challenging the class recently uncovered a series of Tweets from Sajnani they described as “vile” attacks on police officers.

A number of lawmakers have called on the university to fire Sajnani. The university responded by expressing support for “the First Amendment rights of its students, faculty and staff, including their use of social media tools to express their views on race, politics or other topics, in their capacity as a private citizen.”

Muddy
01-04-2017, 03:23 PM
Man, these fucking kids..