PDA

View Full Version : Netflix’s New Obama Movie ‘Barry’ Is Bombing

Teh One Who Knocks
12-17-2016, 01:23 PM
By the Heat Street Staff

http://i.imgur.com/IJ2yviYh.jpg

It seemed like such a good idea at the time for streaming giant Netflix. Buy the rights to a biopic of President Obama as a young man and release it just before the inauguration of Hillary Clinton who was committed to extending his policies.

But we all know what happened and now the fall-out from Trump’s victory is affecting the release of Barry, which stars Australian actor Devvon Terrell as a 20-year-old Obama.

The movie, which began streaming today, is about the future President’s racial identity and love life while he was studying at Columbia University in New York. But it isn’t getting much love from Netflix even though they paid almost $5 million for worldwide rights last September for the film, which is written by Adam Mansbach — best known for the “children’s book for adults” Go the Fuck to Sleep.

The movie’s Twitter handle has just 20 followers, with Netflix instead focusing its energies on promoting new drama The OA, which was also released today. Netflix’s Facebook page, usually zealous about promoting its new shows and movies, hasn’t mentioned anything about Barry since December 2.

http://i.imgur.com/Ifjwj4kh.jpg

The movie enjoyed glowing reviews when it premiered at the Toronto Film Festival and has received favorable publicity in Obama-friendly outlets such as Vogue and on MSNBC and CNN.

While a few die-hard Obama fans have tweeted their enthusiasm about the film, on Rotten Tomatoes Barry has an audience score of 33% compared with 80% from critics. One user, Mayra Serrano, wrote: “I was looking forward to see this movie, but the whole time it felt flat, boring.” The only user review on IMDB slams Barry as a “Lame Duck Movie, like the lame Duck President he is.”

This is the second ‘Young Obama’ movie following Southside With You, which was released last summer to a mediocre reception. The only good news for Netflix is their policy of not releasing viewership data will help save the company’s blushes over Barry.

Griffin
12-17-2016, 03:58 PM
That first pic doesn't look like Africa.

deebakes
12-17-2016, 04:02 PM
:shock:

Loser
12-17-2016, 06:53 PM
It's because of all us racist white people not watching it right?

deebakes
12-17-2016, 06:56 PM
i haven't watched it :shrug:

RBP
12-17-2016, 07:59 PM
It's because of all us racist white people not watching it right?

Was that rhetorical?

Muddy
12-18-2016, 02:17 AM
I cant believe the liberals arent watching it and sucking each other off.

Griffin
12-18-2016, 03:17 AM
I cant believe the liberals arent watching it and sucking each other off.

well then they couldn't both watch...most likely a reach around.

RBP
12-18-2016, 10:12 AM
well then they couldn't both watch...most likely a reach around.

Valid assessment.

Godfather
12-18-2016, 06:04 PM
Netflix doesnt give a shit if it bombs, they don't tell us hardly any of their viewership statistics nor have their box office numbers posted in the papers...

Ever wonder why they keep giving Adam Sandler metric fuck-tons of money to make absolute trash Netflix Exclusives? Because Netflix knows more about the patterns of their viewers than the viewers know about themselves. They know what'll get watched, and keep people coming back even though they hate themselves for watching 16 hours of hot garbage all weekend :lol: I firmly believe they know what they're doing.

Pony
12-18-2016, 08:11 PM
None of you watched this?

:racist:

Yea, me either.