PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul, Barney Frank Introduce Bill That Would End Pot Prohibition

PorkChopSandwiches
06-24-2011, 04:21 PM
http://img.izismile.com/img/img3/20100618/files/4/pot.jpg

Reps. Ron Paul (R-TX) and Barney Frank (D-MA) introduced a bipartisan bill today that would remove the federal prohibition on marijuana. The bill would instead let states legalize, regulate and tax marijuana.

USA Today reports the bill is being championed by a legalization advocacy group:

The Marijuana Policy Project highlights that 46.5% of Californians voted for Proposition 19. It also cites a report released this month by the Global Commission on Drug Policy that slammed the decades-old war on drugs and called on governments to take a look at decriminalizing marijuana and other drugs.

The bill by Frank and Paul would "end state/federal conflicts over marijuana policy, re-prioritize federal resources and provide more room for states to do what is best for their own citizens," the group says.

Politico says the legislation is modeled after the 21st Amendment to the Constitution, which repealed the federal prohibition on alcohol and handed that responsibility to the states. Quoting the Marijuana Policy Project, Politico reports it's "the first bill ever introduced in Congress to end federal marijuana prohibition."

But, as CNN money puts it, the bill is a long shot. But part of the point, adds CNN, is to start a conversation.

The bill is co-sponsored by Reps. John Conyers (D-MI), Steve Cohen (D-TN), Jared Polis (D-CO), and Barbara Lee (D-CA).

Muddy
06-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Oh god, not another one...

RBP
06-24-2011, 04:54 PM
MG, would you support legalization and taxation in VA?

PorkChopSandwiches
06-24-2011, 04:56 PM
http://funnycrave.frsucrave.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Hot-Girl-Smoking-Weed-7.jpg

Muddy
06-24-2011, 06:16 PM
MG, would you support legalization and taxation in VA?

Being the center of the bible belt it wouldn't matter really what I wanted... This place is as conservatively run as it gets..

RBP
06-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Being the center of the bible belt it wouldn't matter really what I wanted... This place is as conservatively run as it gets..

I am asking for your opinion. so give it. :x

Muddy
06-24-2011, 06:20 PM
It's a tough call... Whilst I'm not personally offended by weed, or think it really causes many bad things to happen like the other drugs out there.. I'm not sure I want kids buying it at 7-11 and legitimizing it... With all the issues we have with drinking right now, why throw more shit on the table?

PorkChopSandwiches
06-24-2011, 06:28 PM
So you have no opinion one way or the other?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-986pJ_oCLDU/Tb73NBzTqqI/AAAAAAAAAIo/h4rgg8bOxNg/s1600/hearts18stoned.jpg

Muddy
06-24-2011, 06:29 PM
So you have no opinion one way or the other?

With all the issues we have with drinking right now, why throw more shit on the table?

RBP
06-24-2011, 06:30 PM
That's the counter argument, and one I have made many times. Why promote another gateway drug?

But like I said I have changed my mind. It's everywhere anyway, not like the kids can't get whatever they want - yeah not at 7/11 but it's easy. We need the tax revenue and that would be huge. I'd rather tax pot than raise income taxes.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-24-2011, 06:31 PM
So you would vote no then?

I dont see how one has anything to do with the other.

To me thats like saying, with all the abuse of prescription meds out there......

Muddy
06-24-2011, 06:32 PM
That's the counter argument, and one I have made many times. Why promote another gateway drug?

But like I said I have changed my mind. It's everywhere anyway, not like the kids can't get whatever they want - yeah not at 7/11 but it's easy. We need the tax revenue and that would be huge. I'd rather tax pot than raise income taxes.

It's that whole legitimizing it though, that brings it out of the back rooms and garage and thrusts it right in your face that I'm not interested in...

PorkChopSandwiches
06-24-2011, 06:33 PM

Kids can get pot easier then beer, because its regulated. I have a sister in law and a brother who are both under 20. They will tell you they can get weed no problem, but to score beer takes forever.

RBP
06-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Kids can get pot easier then beer, because its regulated. I have a sister in law and a brother who are both under 20. They will tell you they can get weed no problem, but to score beer takes forever.

that's pretty interesting.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-24-2011, 06:38 PM
MG's ideology comes from the "facts" presented in this movie

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e2/ReeferMadnessPoster.jpg

****zing****

AntZ
06-24-2011, 06:39 PM

I see what you're saying, but I have a hard time believing that all the people growing their own pot will line up tomorrow at their local state tax office to pick up the necessary forms and anxiously fill them out.

So you say, we'll only legalize the pot from shops that they can tax?? Then continuing to produce the pot the way it's being done now will save smokers from paying the extra taxes!

But I guess all the pot heads will be excited to pay those new taxes while trying to cheat the IRS on all their other taxes! :-s

PorkChopSandwiches
06-24-2011, 06:41 PM
I see what you're saying, but I have a hard time believing that all the people growing their own pot will line up tomorrow at their local state tax office to pick up the necessary forms and anxiously fill them out.

So you say, we'll only legalize the pot from shops that they can tax?? Then continuing to produce the pot the way it's being done now will save smokers from paying the extra taxes!

But I guess all the pot heads will be excited to pay those new taxes while trying to cheat the IRS on all their other taxes! :-s

The shops are more expensive then the streets as it is, yet they rake it in because it convenient and never out. If they start charging a $50 an oz tax, I doubt people will stop going to the shops because of it.

pepo
06-24-2011, 08:03 PM
ron paul want the law becaus hes a real libertarrian. smart politics for him.

barney (bam bam in the can can) frank want legal weed so he can relax his pooper for his boyfriend.

RBP
06-24-2011, 08:04 PM
ron paul want the law becaus hes a real libertarrian. smart politics for him.

barney (bam bam in the can can) frank want legal weed so he can relax his pooper for his boyfriend.

Pepo for El Presidente!!

FBD
06-24-2011, 08:54 PM
nuttin wrong with making your own beer, should be nuttin wrong with being able to grow a plant or two.

good luck with that 10/10/10 people :lol:

its sad that its only being considered for possible tax revenue.

funny thing is, as much of a " " "gateway drug" " " as it is, some recent studies have shown that prescription drugs are more of a problem, much more addictive (hence them being controlled by prescription in the first place) and more easily available for most of today's youth.

Bawney has personal reasons to support this one - if he didnt already grow his own, he'd be against this just like he's against just about any other reasonable idea. Ron's the one that walks the libertarian line here.

If for no other reason - getting the feds out of the way on this is the best way to stick it to the cartels and hit them in the pocket big time. Seal up the friggin border and let states do what they want, keep importation illegal, and choke the cartels' money supply as hard as you can.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Yay, another pro pot thread...haven't had one of these since yesterday :cheers:

Now if we can only get some anti-Obama threads too :-k

FBD
06-24-2011, 09:01 PM
:lol: dont tempt me, fodder appears DAILY