PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Gosling Assailed as ‘Sexist’ For Thanking Wife at Golden Globes

Teh One Who Knocks
01-12-2017, 01:34 PM
By Emily Zanotti - Heat Street

http://i.imgur.com/9YWIYJHh.jpg

When Ryan Gosling won his Best Actor Golden Globe Sunday night, for his role in La La Land, he made sure to thank his wife, Eva Mendes, who was raising two children, and caring for her cancer-stricken brother while he was making the movie.

“If she hadn’t taken all that on so that I could have this experience, [there] would surely be someone else up here other than me to today.” Gosling gushed. ” Sweetheart, thank you.”

But what most people viewed as a sweet moment, was in reality, according to Internet feminists, a sexist, misogynistic, and hetero-normative attack on the role of women in society, and Ryan Gosling should be ashamed for his disgraceful behavior.

Writing for the Independent, Narjas Zatat claimed that Gosling’s appreciation, while appearing genuine, merely played into “structural inequality women face in the workplace,” particularly in Hollywood, where women are also award-winning actors.

While its entirely possible that Gosling and Mendes worked out an arrangement as equal partners in their relationship, and certainly two people in a marriage can have varying degrees of responsibility at times based on career and family needs that have nothing to do with the Patriarchal expectations inherent in the social structure itself, Zatat insists that there’s no way Mendes wasn’t coerced into taking a submissive position.

“Mendes has agency, and the decision to put her career on the back burner for the sake of her husband’s was hers, but why did she have to make that decision to begin with,” Zatat whines.

Her evidence? There is a strikingly low number of female directors among Hollywood’s elite, and women actors have approximately 60% of the dialogue men do in major motion pictures, overall. Since she didn’t have the same opportunities as her husband, Zatat theorizes, Mendes simply gave up and went back to child rearing.

Mendes would likely disagree. Besides acting, and the occasional birth-giving, Mendes is a model and ambassador for several major fashion houses as well as a fashion (and home accessories) designer in her own right and is the creative director of CIRCA beauty. But, it seems, Zatat only dug into her filmography.

Gosling also insists that he’s not anti-feminist. He claimed, in an interview in September that women, including his wife, were “better and stronger” than men, but that is also a ragingly sexist comment, says Zatat, because it elevates women to a standard that normal females can never hope to achieve.

Goofy
01-12-2017, 06:39 PM
:yawn:

deebakes
01-13-2017, 02:43 AM
fucking hell, really? :x

RBP
01-13-2017, 03:39 AM
This is awesome, I don't even have to point out the lunacy any more.

Griffin
01-13-2017, 04:27 AM
just ignore these fucking cunts and giving them credibility. soon they will realize they are talking to each other and ooze away.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-13-2017, 12:02 PM
Here's the entire article that she wrote about it:

Ryan Gosling’s Golden Globes speech about Eva Mendes wasn't cute, it was sexist
Despite the swooning on social media for his Notebook-esque outpouring, I can’t help but feel that Mendes, an award-winning actor in her own right, took one for the team and provided the emotional labour needed for Gosling to further his own career
By Narjas Zatat - The Independent

In his acceptance speech for winning a Golden Globe for Best Actor in La La Land, Ryan Gosling took a moment to thank the ‘lady’ in his life, fellow actor Eva Mendes. While he was singing, dancing and playing the piano for the role, she was at home, holding the fort, looking after things so that we could have “one of the best experiences I’ve ever had on a film”.

“If she hadn’t taken all that on so that I could have this experience, would surely be someone else up here other than me to today. Sweetheart, thank you”, said the actor.

She wasn’t just making sure his dinner was cooked by the time he came home, no, she was “raising our daughter, pregnant with our second and trying to help her brother fight his battle with cancer”. Despite the swooning on social media for his Notebook-esque outpouring, I can’t help but feel that Eva Mendes, an award-winning actor in her own right, took one for the team and provided the emotional labour needed for Gosling to further his own career.

Gosling’s appreciation for his partner, may be genuine but it plays into structural inequality women face in the workplace, least of all Hollywood. Yes, Mendes has agency, and the decision to put her career on the back burner for the sake of her husband’s was hers, but why did she have to make that decision to begin with?

In 1,206 films, 60 to 90 per cent of the dialogue was delivered by men, and in an additional 307 films, that figure shot up to 90 per cent. More damning still, a pathetic seven per cent of Hollywood directors are women. It would seem that male directors are hiring male actors for male roles, meaning that Mendes simply doesn’t have the same amount of opportunities as her husband.

This isn’t a trend consigned to the entertainment industry. According to data from the Pew Research Centre, the number of stay-at-home mothers in the USA has been steadily rising for the past 15 years.

What’s more, there’s often an assumption within relationships that the woman will stay at home to look after children, sick or in other cases, ageing relatives. This isn’t something that women are just “better at” and we’re “angels” for taking on such work. Rather women are taught to be self-less and to care, and more often than not, feel an obligation to do so. It is something that is expected of women, and valorising it perpetuates this as an ideal that women have to live up to, and often make sacrifices for. Earlier this year, Gosling told the Evening Standard that women are “better” and “stronger” than men. Putting women on a moral pedestal in this way excuses men from transgressions, such as not coming home and helping with care work.

Gosling's speech runs uncomfortably close to the old adage "behind every great man is a great woman". No, she's not behind you: she's standing right next to you, and maybe you should tell the audience next time that you’ll be home to help out more.

Goofy
01-13-2017, 01:50 PM
Im not reading all that bollocks :hand:

Cliff notes - "im a lunatic feminist saddo"

Teh One Who Knocks
01-13-2017, 05:53 PM
Read it! :x

Goofy
01-13-2017, 05:58 PM
Read it! :x

My cliff notes will suffice :hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-13-2017, 07:36 PM
READ IT!!!!! :x

Godfather
01-14-2017, 02:18 AM
Gosling's speech runs uncomfortably close to the old adage "behind every great man is a great woman". No, she's not behind you: she's standing right next to you, and maybe you should tell the audience next time that you’ll be home to help out more.

Isn't it inversely sexist to imply that by raising a family and caring for sick family that she's less valuable? I mean you're deriving that, but it's absolutely not what he said. The equality of women doesn't mean that they can't happily run the household does it? It's so bothersome that these people are heading down the path of thinking men should be the caged as admittedly women once were. That's not equality, that's revenge for the sins of our fathers.