PDA

View Full Version : Female-Only Social Justice Brewers Group Creates Special Beer to Protest Donald Trump

Teh One Who Knocks
01-20-2017, 01:25 PM
By Emily Zanotti - Heat Street

http://i.imgur.com/75vgUl3h.jpg

An all-female group of “social justice brewers” say they want to “push back on the climate of hate and oppression” that’s overtaken the country in the wake of Donald Trump’s election, so they’re introducing a signature, limited edition beer to be tapped only on January 20.

The beer, “Makin’ Noise: A Pussy Riot Beer,” will be sold at several Colorado breweries during Inauguration festivities, and proceeds from the craft brew’s sales will go to Planned Parenthood, the ACLU and LGBT rights organizations in and around Denver.

The “social justice brewers, are a sort-of supergroup of local Colorado craft brewers, led by Kelissa Hieber and Jess Dougherty, both lead micro-brewers. They liken their beer-based battle cry to the plight of the all-female Russian punk band Pussy Riot, who spent months in jail for defying Vladimir Putin.

“My emotions at this point were still raw. It was my first time leaving the house post-election and it was the most therapeutic thing I could have asked for, the guidance and being surrounded by like-minded people,” Doherty told Bust Magazine. “The two things that stuck out the most were when they were asked, ‘What do we as Americans do now? The answer was to stay and fight.”

The group even has a mission statement that claims their brewing efforts will be a force against the “strong wave” of hate that’s overtaking the country.

We believe in an America that celebrates its diversity, an America that protects and supports anyone regardless of sexual orientation, gender, identity, race, religious views, or immigration status. We condemn the hate that has always existed against marginalized groups and we will not stand for the new strong wave hitting our country. We felt it necessary to take action and decided to use our art to make our voices heard. We are coming out in support of those most at risk in our community and doing what we can to stand together as a united voice against hate and intolerance.

“Makin’ Noise” is an imperial saison with 8-9% alcohol, which is about double typical levels—by design. The beer’s message, the group says, is in the recipe. “In appearance, it’s pretty delicate and unassuming. In reality, this beer is strong, powerful, and takes no shit” from the Patriarchy.

The social justice brewers say they’ll hold quarterly events so that their work continues into Trump’s first year, and so that like-minded individuals can gather together to commiserate over a pint or two.

RBP
01-21-2017, 12:30 AM
I thought for sure this was going to be vaginal yeast story.

Griffin
01-21-2017, 02:01 AM
I thought for sure this was going to be vaginal yeast story.

well...it hasn't been tapped yet :rolleyes: