PDA

View Full Version : Trump to sign orders reviving pipeline projects, sources say

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2017, 02:35 PM
FOX News

DEVELOPING …

Sources tell Fox News that President Trump plans to sign executive orders reviving the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines, which had been stalled under the Obama administration.

The orders would follow earlier executive actions covering everything from trade to ObamaCare.

Trump on Monday signed measures withdrawing the U.S. from the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal, and instituting a hiring freeze for most of the federal government.

Muddy
01-24-2017, 02:59 PM
Ugh.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2017, 03:16 PM
What? This is a good thing.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2017, 03:21 PM
FOX News

President Trump plans to sign executive orders reviving the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines, which had been stalled under the Obama administration, sources tell Fox News.

The moves had been widely expected, as Trump blasted his predecessor for effectively blocking the projects amid environmental and other concerns.

While the Canada-to-Texas Keystone project was at the center of a heated debate for years until the Obama administration rejected a key permit in November 2015, the Dakota pipeline more recently became the subject of fierce protests until the Army Corps of Engineers in December blocked construction of a controversial segment.

The company behind the Keystone XL project, TransCanada, has not yet reapplied for a pipeline permit, after having withdrawn its request under the Obama administration.

The expected moves come as Trump makes the economy and jobs the centerpiece of his administration’s first week in office.

He met Tuesday morning with representatives from the auto industry including GM and Ford, after meeting a day earlier, separately, with business and union leaders.

The pipelines were one of the few issues that put the Obama administration at odds with labor unions, some of whom have voiced hope the Trump administration can work with them to promote job creation. Trump said Tuesday during his meeting with auto industry bosses that he considers himself an environmentalist, but called current regulations "out of control."

The pipeline orders would follow earlier executive actions covering everything from trade to ObamaCare.

Trump on Monday signed measures withdrawing the U.S. from the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal, and instituting a hiring freeze for most of the federal government.

Muddy
01-24-2017, 03:37 PM
I've always thought those pipelines were only really good for the oil companies.. It makes it cheaper for them to export North American oil.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2017, 03:39 PM
I might be wrong, but I believe these pipelines are meant to take the crude to various refineries here in the United States to process it for gasoline and that the majority of it will be staying here.

DemonGeminiX
01-24-2017, 03:51 PM
If it undercuts OPECs influence on things, then I'm all for it.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-24-2017, 05:04 PM
All these people protesting this pipeline fail to remember that the Indians signed an agreement allowing it to be done, that aren't being forced by anyone.

RBP
01-24-2017, 05:25 PM
Dudeman is kicking ass so far, love it.

He also signed one to expedite the process. It's either no or let's build, but no more waiting years to decide.

:woot:

redred
01-24-2017, 05:42 PM
and use usa steel for the project :tup: i would think that would be more expensive than china steel but who cares

PorkChopSandwiches
01-24-2017, 05:44 PM
Of course it is, but steelworkers will have more jobs now.

redred
01-24-2017, 05:48 PM
transport jobs maybe lost , can't win

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2017, 05:53 PM
What transport jobs? The ships? They're almost all foreign owned anyways.

redred
01-24-2017, 06:00 PM
and ships take goods to the middle of your country ?

Teh One Who Knocks
01-24-2017, 06:11 PM
They do? Pretty sure the ocean doesn't run thru the middle of the United States :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-24-2017, 06:26 PM
LOL, I work in transportation. We will still need truck to move goods from point A to point B. Doesn't matter if it comes from the ports or the middle of America

Muddy
01-24-2017, 07:08 PM
LOL, I work in transportation. We will still need truck to move goods from point A to point B. Doesn't matter if it comes from the ports or the middle of America

You fucking know nothing about transportation.. :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-24-2017, 07:16 PM
I didn't say I knew about it, just that I work in it

Muddy
01-24-2017, 07:31 PM
I move thoughts with the power of my MIND, Nigga...

http://i64.tinypic.com/2z86ez6.jpg

Godfather
01-25-2017, 07:56 AM
On mobile so can't say much but I'm pro this, good shit. Moving by pipe even has a lower carbon footprint, and it's good for Canada.

Obviously the environment and clean water are a priority but extreme environmentalism often goes well beyond logic. There's a lot of new safety technology at play here. Same reason I'd support building new nuclear plants any day.

RBP
01-26-2017, 01:55 AM
On mobile so can't say much but I'm pro this, good shit. Moving by pipe even has a lower carbon footprint, and it's good for Canada.

Obviously the environment and clean water are a priority but extreme environmentalism often goes well beyond logic. There's a lot of new safety technology at play here. Same reason I'd support building new nuclear plants any day.
I am familiar with that assessment for KP-XL, but is the same true for Dakota? I haven't seen the impact reports.

As you can guess, I find the protests to be meaningless and uninformed. Facts rule.

Godfather
01-26-2017, 03:17 AM
No too sure. The Army Corps of Engineers imact report is online but it's fucking long :lol: I think it shows they've chosen routes for Dakota that are 'non-historic' as much as possible. I mean truthfully there's never been a pipeline that didn't leak either by earthquake, wear & tear, etc.... but as far as I know studies all show it's safer than moving by rail. And this agreement ensures US companies will make the pipes which is good.

I still feel compelled to say people are still right to raise a stink, if they didn't the safety would've never gotten to where it is today. And if this were in Canada I'd prefer to see it voted on in our House rather than executive order, and I'd definitely be concerned if I saw a potential conflict of interest for our Prime Minister compounded with this being passed so quickly after he got into office. Thirdly it's concerning that the Exec. order prevents the EPA from even speaking to the press... but all in all, bigger fish to fry, I won't play devil's advocate against this one, at least not on this forum :lol:

RBP
01-26-2017, 04:41 AM
Obama didn't even argue that KP-XL was a bad idea that I know of. His own state department said it was safer and a huge job boost. Purely political.

My understanding is that Dakota is already 90% complete sans a permitting issue. I am sure the same metrics apply as you mentioned.

I don't disagree with people taking up causes. What I disagree with is people taking up causes under urban legends because it's the cause celebre. And don't even try to discuss facts with those folks.

redred
01-26-2017, 07:03 AM
Doesn't an 'ex' company of trumps stand to make a few million from this pipe line (all goes in the family pot)

RBP
01-26-2017, 11:30 AM
Doesn't an 'ex' company of trumps stand to make a few million from this pipe line (all goes in the family pot)

My understanding is they have divested that holding.

redred
01-26-2017, 12:08 PM
It's not 100% clear either way from what I've read

RBP
01-26-2017, 02:51 PM
It's not 100% clear either way from what I've read
Only because the press says he has to provide paperwork to prove it and he eye rolled. :lol:

redred
01-26-2017, 03:10 PM
:lol: that helps clear things up

Godfather
01-26-2017, 08:40 PM
Obama didn't even argue that KP-XL was a bad idea that I know of. His own state department said it was safer and a huge job boost. Purely political.

My understanding is that Dakota is already 90% complete sans a permitting issue. I am sure the same metrics apply as you mentioned.

I don't disagree with people taking up causes. What I disagree with is people taking up causes under urban legends because it's the cause celebre. And don't even try to discuss facts with those folks.

I think the job boost thing is BS unfortunately. The lines will only great 35-40 permanent jobs from my understanding. Maybe there's a secondary impact creating jobs that I'm not aware of though.

I agree on Obama too... he was going to do it too, just pussyfooting around it a bit more carefully :lol:

RBP
01-27-2017, 01:25 AM
I think the job boost thing is BS unfortunately. The lines will only great 35-40 permanent jobs from my understanding. Maybe there's a secondary impact creating jobs that I'm not aware of though.

I agree on Obama too... he was going to do it too, just pussyfooting around it a bit more carefully :lol:

During construction, proposed Project spending would support approximately 42,100 jobs (direct, indirect, and induced), and approximately $2 billion in earnings throughout the United States. Of these jobs, approximately 3,900 would be direct construction jobs in the proposed Project area in Montana, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas (3,900 over 1 year of construction, or 1,950 per year if construction took 2 years). Construction of the proposed Project would contribute approximately $3.4 billion (or 0.02 percent) to the U.S. gross domestic product (GDP). The proposed Project would generate approximately 50 jobs during operations.

https://keystonepipeline-xl.state.gov/documents/organization/221135.pdf