PDA

View Full Version : Australian Feminists Tell Women to Stop Shaving for ‘Hairy February’ Campaign

Teh One Who Knocks
02-01-2017, 01:32 PM
By Ian Miles Cheong - Heat Street

http://i.imgur.com/Dkat7Kdh.jpg

Hey ladies, do you like growing out your armpits and leghair and just saying “to heck with it!” to the cis-hetero patriarchal norms of fashion and beauty?

Well, now’s your chance to do just that by linking arms with this hip new campaign.

Australian feminists have started a new campaign called Get Hairy February to fight violence against women. The goal? Don’t shave for the whole month. If the boys can grow out their beards for No Shave November (or Movember), then the girls can do it too—by growing out your legbeards.

http://i.imgur.com/20lGYKh.jpg

The program’s director, Alex Andrews, argues that the campaign isn’t an equivalent of Movember, the month for men to grow out their mustaches and beards to raise awareness of men’s health issues.

She says that the two things aren’t the same because there’s no cultural stigma against men with facial hair, whereas female body hair isn’t a cultural norm.

“We’re very familiar with growing hair for a cause in Australia, it is a concept we understand,” she said in an interview with ABC.com.au. “Movember is culturally embedded now, it is seen as fun and easy.”

Unlike men, to whom it is only natural to grow out their facial hair (unless your genes disappoint in that regard and prevent you from doing so), it can be difficult for women to grow out armpit and leg hair. After all, armpit hair can look very unsightly in a sleeveless top—and it isn’t only men who think so.

Andrews says that overcoming this difficulty is “part of creating that conversation.” After all, why is it unsightly?

“It’s something you do every three days and you start to think why I am doing this and paying for it?” she said.

Probably because most women don’t want sweaty armpits that make them smell like dudes? I don’t know.

Contrary to common sense, Andrews believes in the conspiracy theory that the sentiment behind women only shave their body hair as part of the accepted beauty standard because of some advertising campaign in 1915 from an unnamed cosmetic company that told women they’d look unsightly with body hair.

“The sentiment behind it… relied on women’s self-doubt as a way to sell products,” she said.

Andrews told the outlet that she made the decision to stop shaving since she was 11 and that it had a “radical impact” on how she perceived herself. Move aside, Clara Jeffrey’s woke 8-year-old has some competition from the continent Down Under.

For now, the campaign isn’t picking up much traction, with only 70 women agreeing to sign up for the challenge—all of whom no doubt make regular appearances on Reddit’s “legbeard” community.

Andrews hopes to gain more support in the days to come and raise at least $10,000 for The Full Stop Foundation, that works to prevent violence against women and provide support for victims of domestic violence.

All jokes aside, at least it’s for a good cause.

Muddy
02-01-2017, 01:50 PM
Nobody wants to have sex with feminists anyway.. Hairy, stinky, and sloppy dressers.