PDA

View Full Version : Firm That Helped FBI Break Into San Bernardino iPhone Gets Hacked, Tools Leaked Online

Godfather
02-04-2017, 06:38 AM
If you cast your mind back to when Apple refused to unlock an iPhone 5c for the authorities following the San Bernardino incident last year, the company made the argument that if it created a tool for opening up an encrypted iPhone, then it would create the potential for that tool to then fall into the wrong hands and ultimately make iPhone encryption obsolete.

The FBI didn’t agree with this and went ahead and found someone else to do the hacking – Israeli firm Cellebrite.

In a turn of events that have more than a hint of irony to them, Cellebrite has now had their own servers hacked, with most parts of that iPhone hacking tool now leaked on the internet.

A report by Motherboard cites a source who hacked into a remote Cellebrite server and stole 900GB of data, including evidence that Cellebrite did work for countries such as Russia, Turkey, and the UAE. The treasure trove of data also includes a host of files relating to the hacking of iPhones, according to the publication.

Now the hacker responsible has publicly released a cache of files allegedly stolen from Cellebrite relating to Android and BlackBerry devices, and older iPhones, some of which may have been copied from publicly available phone cracking tools.

“It’s important to demonstrate that when you create these tools, they will make it out. History should make that clear,” they continued.

The last line of that quote is particularly pertinent, given Apple’s warning that something like this could happen when it refused to create such a tool last year, with CEO Tim Cook labeling it the software equivalent of cancer. Interestingly, once the data was looked into, much of it was similar to tools used in the jailbreaking community, suggesting there may be some creative re-use of hacks being used.

In their README, the hacker notes much of the iOS-related code is very similar to that used in the jailbreaking scene—a community of iPhone hackers that typically breaks into iOS devices and release its code publicly for free.

As with the iPhone in the San Bernardino case, much of the information found by the hacker relates to tools for hacking older iPhones, so those with newer devices may still be OK. Regardless, now would be an opportune time to remind everyone to encrypt their devices as well as device backups and data, as well as keep their software up to date. At this point, and especially with the world going the way it is right now, it just makes good sense.

http://www.redmondpie.com/firm-that-helped-fbi-break-into-san-bernardino-iphone-gets-hacked-tools-leaked-online/

Godfather
02-04-2017, 06:39 AM
Wait this can't happen, these tools would never fall into the wrong hands :roll: If only someone warned them...

RBP
02-04-2017, 08:55 AM
Wait this can't happen, these tools would never fall into the wrong hands :roll: If only someone warned them...

Fair enough. Doesn't answer the fundamental question of who has the right to the data of a terrorist? And if you say investigators, what's the alternative?

Teh One Who Knocks
02-04-2017, 11:26 AM
And if you say investigators

Investigators

what's the alternative?

Monkey butlers

redred
02-04-2017, 01:00 PM
:monkey::-k

Godfather
02-04-2017, 08:38 PM
Fair enough. Doesn't answer the fundamental question of who has the right to the data of a terrorist? And if you say investigators, what's the alternative?

That's an interesting question because while I support investigators accessing information and don't favor privacy of criminals, I don't know if it can be safely done, or if the means justify the ends.

Tools like a 'Universal Forensic Extraction Device' are a double edged sword. They allow access for public good like investigating terrorists, but if you create or support backdoor access for the government then you're clearly exposed to it falling into the hands of wrong-doers (and maybe even wrongful access by governments) like has now happened.

I'm just repeating the point I already made, but I guess I'm saying the fundamental question for me becomes: do I support encryption at a cost, or support government access to data at a cost? I'm torn, but leaning towards the former.

Hugh_Janus
02-05-2017, 11:30 AM
"tools leaked" wat, you mean like a computer, keyboard and a mouse? :lol:

RBP
02-05-2017, 05:26 PM
"tools leaked" wat, you mean like a computer, keyboard and a mouse? :lol:

Pro tip: If you have a leaky tool, see a doctor.

RBP
02-05-2017, 05:27 PM
That's an interesting question because while I support investigators accessing information and don't favor privacy of criminals, I don't know if it can be safely done, or if the means justify the ends.

Tools like a 'Universal Forensic Extraction Device' are a double edged sword. They allow access for public good like investigating terrorists, but if you create or support backdoor access for the government then you're clearly exposed to it falling into the hands of wrong-doers (and maybe even wrongful access by governments) like has now happened.

I'm just repeating the point I already made, but I guess I'm saying the fundamental question for me becomes: do I support encryption at a cost, or support government access to data at a cost? I'm torn, but leaning towards the former.

If the data can have unbreakable encryption, why can't the data extraction tool be similarly protected?

DemonGeminiX
02-05-2017, 06:41 PM
There's no such thing as unbreakable encryption. It's like death: On a long enough time line, your encryption algorithm will be hacked. Eventually, all encryption algorithms will be hacked. That's how the cyber security industry works. Whip out a super encryption algorithm, somebody hacks it, so whip out the new and improved super encryption algorithm. When somebody hacks that, go back to the drawing board and create a newer and even better one... and the vicious cycle of industry goes on and on. That's why you keep getting updates to your antivirus. Somebody's always creating a bigger and badder bug, so the antivirus has to be improved and/or recreated to handle it.

If you want to ensure that your data is never leaked online, then don't put it online. If it's on a computer, make sure that computer never connects to the internet and make sure that you're the only one that ever accesses that computer, because ultimately, you're the only one you can trust when it comes to your data. And half of the time, you can't even trust yourself.

If you want to be free of all of this, then remove your entire existence from the internet, or at least do the best that you can, turn off your computers, take out their hard drives and physically destroy them, pay off your credit cards and get rid of them, close all financial accounts, get rid of your cellphone and any other digital device you may have, leave your home, go build a log cabin in the woods somewhere where no one will ever find you, and live the rest of your life like Grizzly Adams.

RBP
02-06-2017, 01:11 AM
I have a new plan!

Hugh_Janus
02-06-2017, 06:43 PM
become a camgirl?