PDA

View Full Version : Customer shoots, kills suspected diaper thief at Wal-Mart

Teh One Who Knocks
02-06-2017, 12:30 PM
My News 13

http://i.imgur.com/S045fDm.jpg

ORLANDO -- A man suspected of stealing diapers and other merchandise from a Wal-Mart has died, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Deputies responded Saturday morning to reports of a shooting at the store located on Clarcona Ocoee Road.

Sheriff's Office spokesman Capt. Angelo Nieves said the 19-year-old man and at least three other suspects attempted to load the stole items into a car when a Wal-Mart employee confronted them.

A Wal-Mart customer came out of the store to help the employee. The customer told deputies he felt threatened by one of the suspects who he thought was armed. The customer shot one of the suspects multiple times.

Deputies said the vehicle the suspects used had previously been taken in a carjacking on Jan. 14.

The suspects fled the parking lot in the stolen vehicle, crashing into two other cars.

Deputies said the suspects abandoned the stolen vehicle and ran in different directions.

Investigators found the 19-year-old at a nearby Citgo gas station with several gunshot wounds. He was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center in serious condition, where he was pronounced dead.

The other suspects are still on the loose.

The customer who fired the weapon remained at the scene, deputies said, and has cooperated with the investigation.

RBP
02-07-2017, 01:01 AM
Man, I don't know. Did he see a weapon or did they do something threatening?

deebakes
02-07-2017, 01:46 AM
stole a car and stuff from walmart... they are guilty and deserved it :shrug:

Griffin
02-07-2017, 01:55 AM
Killed for stealing a car to go steal diapers from wal-mart.... so many wrong life choices.

RBP
02-07-2017, 03:53 AM
Killed for stealing a car to go steal diapers from wal-mart.... so many wrong life choices.

http://i.imgur.com/HGsQ8Pk.gif

RBP
02-07-2017, 03:53 AM
stole a car and stuff from walmart... they are guilty and deserved it :shrug:

:-k Deserved to die for theft?

deebakes
02-08-2017, 01:47 AM
not really...

"play stupid games, win stupid prizes" - godfather

DemonGeminiX
02-08-2017, 08:44 AM
Man, I don't know. Did he see a weapon or did they do something threatening?

I touched on this in another thread. There may be some culpability with the shooter, but it's very small. You have to blame the four thieves for making decisions that led them to this outcome. I'm not saying that the man deserved to die, but you have to figure, if he and his buddies hadn't decided to rob a store, then they wouldn't have ended up facing down the barrel of the gun of the citizen who was trying to stop them from committing a crime. In that respect, Grif's "life choices" comment and the Godfather quote we keep throwing around applies.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-08-2017, 11:54 AM
I have no real issue with this because I'm pretty sure that 100% of the people NOT stealing cars and driving to Walmart to steal diapers didn't get shot and killed that day. :dunno:

RBP
02-08-2017, 12:01 PM
I touched on this in another thread. There may be some culpability with the shooter, but it's very small. You have to blame the four thieves for making decisions that led them to this outcome. I'm not saying that the man deserved to die, but you have to figure, if he and his buddies hadn't decided to rob a store, then they wouldn't have ended up facing down the barrel of the gun of the citizen who was trying to stop them from committing a crime. In that respect, Grif's "life choices" comment and the Godfather quote we keep throwing around applies.

I hear ya, but that's a philosophical point. I asked a practical question. What did they do to warrant the use of deadly force by a citizen? Having an open or concealed carry permit doesn't make you a cop and committing a crime doesn't make you an open target for vigilante justice. He engaged them according to the story, they did not engage him.

The customer told deputies he felt threatened by one of the suspects who he thought was armed

Is that enough? I have two sets of glasses in my jacket pocket, they bulge. If a citizen with a gun approached me and I told him that he wasn't a cop and he should get the fuck out of my face, you're saying he could legally shoot me, and oh well, because I shouldn't carry glasses in my pocket?

RBP
02-08-2017, 12:02 PM
I have no real issue with this because I'm pretty sure that 100% of the people NOT stealing cars and driving to Walmart to steal diapers didn't get shot and killed that day. :dunno:

:dunno:

Pony
02-08-2017, 12:10 PM
He engaged them according to the story, they did not engage him.

From what I've read he was trying to assist the employee when he was confronted.

Also found the dead guys info
Arthur Adams 19 was a documented gang member. "The history we have on this individual who had approximately 15 felony arrests, four felony convictions and also had several warrants outstanding at the time he was committing the theft when the shooting broke out,".

RBP
02-08-2017, 12:22 PM
So the definition of "confronted" is important here. The other part about his record is immaterial. He didn't know that and it has no bearing on his decision to shoot. Having a warrant or a record does not make you an open target for armed citizens.

RBP
02-08-2017, 12:23 PM
"when the shooting broke out"? :lol: there was only one shooter.

DemonGeminiX
02-08-2017, 12:28 PM
I hear ya, but that's a philosophical point. I asked a practical question. What did they do to warrant the use of deadly force by a citizen? Having an open or concealed carry permit doesn't make you a cop and committing a crime doesn't make you an open target for vigilante justice. He engaged them according to the story, they did not engage him.

Is that enough? I have two sets of glasses in my jacket pocket, they bulge. If a citizen with a gun approached me and I told him that he wasn't a cop and he should get the fuck out of my face, you're saying he could legally shoot me, and oh well, because I shouldn't carry glasses in my pocket?

:nono:

Not just a philosophical point.

And apparently it is in Florida. This isn't the first case from Florida where a citizen with a license to carry shot a suspect because he felt threatened and got away with it.

I'm sorry, but if the deceased was a gang member, then people in the area would know. And that dude would know. Gang members stick out like a sore thumb down here.

Pony
02-08-2017, 12:33 PM
It's not immaterial, it shows the guy had a short history of a lot of violent crime (assuming his record starts at 16) and likely was aggressive and threatening at the time he was shot. The shooter was an older black man who was just trying to assist the store employee who was outnumbered by a bunch of violent thugs.

Bottom line is we weren't there, we don't know exactly what happened in the moments before the shots were fired so we have to make assumptions. The history of all involved becomes relevant.

RBP
02-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Can you explain how his criminal history justifies his death? We are making some huge assumptions here.

DemonGeminiX
02-08-2017, 12:52 PM
He's a gang member. He was going to die sooner or later anyway. That's what he signed up for. Who cares who shot him or where he died? It's all a part of the thug life.

RBP
02-08-2017, 01:14 PM
He's a gang member. He was going to die sooner or later anyway. That's what he signed up for. Who cares who shot him or where he died? It's all a part of the thug life.
You're kidding, I assume.