PDA

View Full Version : Being Asked Where You’re From is ‘White Supremacy,’ Says Asian-American Actor Peter Kim on PBS Newshour

Teh One Who Knocks
02-06-2017, 12:50 PM
By Ian Miles Cheong - Heat Street

http://i.imgur.com/XmMv71Bh.jpg

There are few things more concerning to the special snowflake than microaggressions. When people ask you where you got your accent or where your parents came from—that’s a microaggression, and it hurts. It’s “death by a thousand cuts,” and it weakens your resolve, turning you into a blubbering mess because people can’t stop being inquisitive about you and who you are. How awful!

In a new talk on PBS Newshour, the publicly funded broadcaster interviewed Asian-American actor and comedian Peter Kim, who declared that asking a person where they’re from is a form of white supremacy. He called this microaggression a part of his struggle.

Whites make up most of America—it’s a fact, but it’s one PBS refers to as a “commonplace cultural assumption.” Feelings over facts, as it were.

Kim tells the host, Antonio Mora, that most people think of white supremacy as members of the Ku Klux Klan or Adolf Hitler screaming into a microphone. But for him, it’s “a lot less dramatic and a lot more commonplace,” and offers an “updated definition” of the term to refer to the microaggressions he deals with daily.

The actor says most of the roles he auditions for are written as white characters, although they accept people of any ethnicity—and goes on to lament the racism present on the gay dating app, Grindr.

“I was overwhelmed by profiles saying no fems, no fats, no Asians,” he said.

I can sympathize with his romantic failures, but sexual preferences are what they are—and no one should be forced to be romantically interested in anyone they have no interest in. If you’re gay and you don’t want to date women, would that make you a misogynist?

Kim, who’s traveled around the country performing standup comedy, goes on to complain about how “well-meaning white people” sometimes get short with him when they ask him where he’s from and he replies “New York.” He laments that his boyfriend from Sweden is never asked the question.

The problem is two-fold. Asking someone where they’re from isn’t the same as inquiring about their ethnicity—so if you intend to ask someone the latter question, don’t mince words. The second issue is that there’s really no reason for Kim to be upset at anyone who asks him were he’s from, especially when he knows they aren’t intending malice.

“So, my definition of white supremacy is embedded in the fabric of our everyday lives. It’s in our schools, in our movies, and on our televisions,” says Kim.

If we go by his definition, then the term—which should only refer to actual racists—loses all meaning and makes it all the harder to deal with actual white supremacism, which still exists outside the progressive liberal bubble.

Goofy
02-06-2017, 01:04 PM
:facepalm:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-06-2017, 01:06 PM
:facepalm:

:privilege:

Goofy
02-06-2017, 01:07 PM
Nah, just an intelligent human being who has his own thought process :)

Teh One Who Knocks
02-06-2017, 01:13 PM
Nah, just an intelligent human being who has his own thought process :)

You sound white and racist :watching:

Goofy
02-06-2017, 01:15 PM
You sound white and pissed off at all the racist minorities :watching:

:thumbsup:

Muddy
02-06-2017, 02:40 PM
When people ask where I am from I just say Honky Town..

Teh One Who Knocks
02-06-2017, 02:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/vwRSfoL.jpg

deebakes
02-07-2017, 01:34 AM
^ not so great these days :shock:

Muddy
02-07-2017, 03:26 PM
^ not so great these days :shock:

Fuck these people.. I LOVE who I am.. I live by the golden rule and always have. I carry 0% guilt.

Griffin
02-07-2017, 10:37 PM
Two ladies were sitting next to each other on a plane. One was a Yankee and the other, a Southern Belle. The Southern Belle turned to the Yankee and asks, "So where y'all from?"

The Yankee turned her steely gaze to the Southern Belle and replied, "I am from a place where we do NOT end our sentences with a preposition."

Silence ensued and the flight continued until a few minutes later when the Southern Belle again turned to the Yankee and asked, "So, where are y'all from, bitch?"

RBP
02-07-2017, 11:47 PM
Two ladies were sitting next to each other on a plane. One was a Yankee and the other, a Southern Belle. The Southern Belle turned to the Yankee and asks, "So where y'all from?"

The Yankee turned her steely gaze to the Southern Belle and replied, "I am from a place where we do NOT end our sentences with a preposition."

Silence ensued and the flight continued until a few minutes later when the Southern Belle again turned to the Yankee and asked, "So, where are y'all from, bitch?"
Northern girls say "you can"

Southern girls say "ya'll can"

;)

deebakes
02-08-2017, 02:12 AM
Fuck these people.. I LOVE who I am.. I live by the golden rule and always have. I carry 0% guilt.

i meant polar bears, what the fuck are you going on about? :?

The Monk
02-08-2017, 04:58 AM
WANKER !!! :wank:

People ask white people where they are from or what is their accent. I'll go so far as to bet that even in China, Chinese may ask other Chinese where their accent or dialect comes from.

FFS.....

WANKER !!! :wank:

Muddy
02-08-2017, 03:06 PM
i meant polar bears, what the fuck are you going on about? :?

:slap: