PDA

View Full Version : Teen With Cancer Fires Back at Accusations of ‘Cultural Appropriation’ For Wearing a Turban

Teh One Who Knocks
02-15-2017, 11:53 AM
By Lukas Mikelionis - Heat Street

http://i.imgur.com/x32cV2Mh.jpg

A white Brazilian teen fighting cancer, who has been accused of cultural appropriation for wearing a turban to conceal her baldness, is firing back back at her critics: “I’m so angry with this whole cultural appropriation thing … this is called cancer, so I use what I want!”.

Thuaune Cordeiro, 19, is a teenager in Brazil. She was diagnosed with cancer and chemotherapy treatments left her bald. To hide her lack of hair, she sports colorful turbans when leaving the house.

After posting on Facebook pictures of her wearing turban, she was accused of cultural appropriation, because in Brazil, most turban-wearers are black.

But the 19-old-teen then fired back at her critics by sharing a story on her Facebook page in which she was called out on the street by one black woman for wearing a turban while being white.

“I’ll explain what happened yesterday so you know why I’m so angry with this whole cultural appropriation thing,” she wrote. “I was at the station with this pretty turban, feeling like a diva. And I started to notice that there were a lot of black women around, beautiful by the way, who were looking at me funny, like ‘look over there the little white girl appropriating our culture.'”

“Anyways, one of them came over to tell me I shouldn’t use a turban because I’m white,” she continued.

“I took off the turban and said ‘are you seeing this bald head, this is called cancer, so I use what I want! Bye.’ I grabbed my turban and walked off leaving her in shock #EverybodyWearsTurbans”

DemonGeminiX
02-15-2017, 12:43 PM
:clap:

Goofy
02-15-2017, 01:19 PM
Good for her :tup:

Muddy
02-15-2017, 02:25 PM
Good for you, Missy...

Muddy
02-15-2017, 02:27 PM
Isnt it extreme cultural appropriation for those black folk to be in a country not native to them?

deebakes
02-16-2017, 01:31 AM
:motorboat: :oops: