PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Bookstore Flips Male-Authored Books, Displaying Them Backwards

Teh One Who Knocks
03-06-2017, 01:54 PM
By Jillian Kay Melchior - Heat Street

http://i.imgur.com/uanaNBgh.jpg

To draw attention to female authors, a Cleveland bookstore celebrated Women’s History Month by turning every male-written book in the fiction room backward on its shelf.

Eight of the all-female employees of Loganberry Books went through about 10,000 books, a process that took about two hours. They’ll leave the books turned around for the next two weeks.

“Pictures are loud communicators,” Harriett Logan, the bookstore’s founder and owner, told Heat Street. “So we are in essence not just highlighting the disparity but bringing more focus to the women’s books now, because they’re the only ones legible on the shelf.”

http://i.imgur.com/U4p6Co6.jpg

Loganberry Books, a self-professed feminist-leaning bookstore, sells new, used and rare books. The bookstore advertises its women’s history and literature offerings as one of the strengths of its collection.

Logan said said she came up with the male-authored book flip idea herself, as a way to make a feminist point. The visual impact is even greater than she’d expected, Logan said, and the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

In an interview with Cleveland Scene, Logan said the display was “a metaphor of silencing the male voice—at least for this month.”

“To give the floor and attention to women, you need to be able to hear them,” Logan told Heat Street. “And if someone else is talking over them, that just doesn’t happen.”

Goofy
03-06-2017, 02:36 PM
:nuts:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-06-2017, 02:43 PM
The fiction writing gender gap...I'm sure there must be a cabal of men somewhere keeping women from writing books :rolleyes:

Hugh_Janus
03-06-2017, 08:52 PM
nobody's stopping them from writing them.... its the patriarchy that's preventing them from being published.

I don't like the way you're making light of their struggle :hand:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-06-2017, 08:54 PM
I stand with Hugh

Teh One Who Knocks
03-06-2017, 08:58 PM
nobody's stopping them from writing them.... its the patriarchy that's preventing them from being published.

I don't like the way you're making light of their struggle :hand:

I'll struggle you! :x

:beatdown:

Hugh_Janus
03-06-2017, 08:59 PM
help me, feminism... please

Muddy
03-06-2017, 09:05 PM
So turn around and never go back in there.

The Monk
03-07-2017, 02:39 AM
The Loony Left at it again.

RBP
03-07-2017, 03:15 AM
Maybe they should write better books. :dunno:

DemonGeminiX
03-07-2017, 03:22 AM
Well, if nothing else, I'll know which books to skip.

:shifty: