PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Student Group Offers ‘Black Students Only’ First Aid Training

Teh One Who Knocks
03-07-2017, 12:06 PM
By Lukas Mikelionis - Heat Street

http://i.imgur.com/W4o0yHRh.jpg

A black student group at York University in Canada is hosting a first aid training session only for black students and describes the accusations of racism for barring white students as “anti-black racism.”

The student group, York United Black Students’ Alliance, got into hot water after a student, Jake Janic, complained publicly via a student Facebook group. Janic posted a picture of the poster which read: “catering to black students only”.

“My attention was brought to this poster because I was actually interested in getting my recert[ification] in first aid. It’s a skill everyone should know. Apparently my skin color is an issue though,” Janic wrote.

The poster offering CPR and first aid training is the official poster, as the black student group tweeted the poster themselves on their official twitter account.

The group responded to the backlash, saying that while “anyone should be able to access” such training, people complaining about the event are doing because of “anti-black racism.”

“It has come to the attention of the York United Black Student’s Alliance that we have anti-black racism in our midst,” the statement read. “Offering programs such as these to our community members is by no way in any means racist.”

The York University group added that offering CPR and first aid training exclusively for black students is both a “responsibility” and a “duty” because of the oppression at the university.

“York University since it’s inception has had a longstanding history of erasure of black bodies, black students, and black space on this campus,” the statement added.

Unable to put down the controversy, the black student group issued another statement slamming “whiteness” and claiming it’s “idiotic” for white students to ask to be allowed to attend the training session.

“For white folks to claim that they need additional space with whiteness subsumed in the entirety of the Canadian context is idiotic. The idea that some folks believe that white supremacy needs to be perpetuated by carving out even more space for white folks is redundant,” the group wrote.

lost in melb.
03-07-2017, 12:39 PM
“Offering programs such as these to our community members is by no way in any means racist.”

What does the black community have in common?