PDA

View Full Version : Bristol reacts as council plans to fine people swearing in public up to £100

redred
03-11-2017, 01:22 AM
Bristol shoppers have called on the council to crack down on swearing in the street by fining foul-mouthed folk on-the-spot.

A similar punishment was proposed by councillors in Rochdale this week, who want to slap fines of up to £100 on swearers caught 'effing and blinding' in public.

The controversial plans have been met with fierce opposition from free speech advocates, who consider swearing fines a breach of human rights, but shoppers in Bristol city centre have welcomed the idea.

Pauline McKeown, from Knowle, said she often hears bad language while commuting into town on the bus.

"It does upset a lot of people and I don't like it," the 70-year-old told the Bristol Post. "I wish Bristol City Council did so something to stop it.

"I couldn't have sworn at home like they do today. My dad would have clipped me around the ear."

"It's just youngsters aren't respectful anymore."

Philip Batt, from Southmead, believes people who think it is acceptable to swear in public is a reflection of their upbringing.

He explained: "You get it everywhere. I heard a fella swearing in the street in Bedminster the other day and he had his 'Mrs' with him and a two-year-old kid.

"Now, I'm not married, but I wouldn't act like that in front children. It just tells you how he was brought up and how his family were brought up."

Labour-run council in Rochdale is hoping to introduce a public spaces protection order (PSPO), which could lead to anyone caught "using foul and abusive language" being warned, moved on or given an on-the-spot fine.

But Dave Phillips, from Hartcliffe, said he doubted the order could be enforced if it was introduced in Bristol.

"The council wouldn't be able to afford to, not with all the cut backs they're making," he said.

"Sometimes swearing is a way of letting off steam…or you might say something in the heat of the moment but it's not right if it's every day."

The 65-year-old added he is only offended by swearing in public if it is directed towards him.

Human rights group Liberty, however, have branded the proposals "a staggering misuse of power" which would "unjustifiably curb the rights and freedoms of residents".

A Bristol City Council spokesperson said: "We work closely with our partners agencies, including the police, to tackle anti-social behaviour. We use a range of tools and powers both in terms of educating citizens and enforcement.

"We do not have any plans to introduce a ban on swearing in public. If people are affected by anti-social behaviour and wish to report it they can contact the city council here.

"If they feel threatened or intimidated they should report this to the Police by calling 101 or by dialling 999 in an emergency."

Read more at http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/bristol-reacts-as-council-plans-to-fine-people-swearing-in-public-up-to-100/story-30195088-detail/story.html#zqvyKZ1V3cq0Z5v6.99

redred
03-11-2017, 01:23 AM
imo i'd enjoy this , i've work and still do on building sites and really haven't found a reason to swear

deebakes
03-11-2017, 04:42 AM
:ghey:

lost in melb.
03-11-2017, 05:12 AM
Fuck, that's a shit load of cash

Godfather
03-11-2017, 07:57 AM
imo i'd enjoy this , i've work and still do on building sites and really haven't found a reason to swear

Secret vid of Red at work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8drLCd4SxD8&app=desktop

Hugh_Janus
03-11-2017, 12:48 PM
awwww.... I'm disappointed with the end of that vid :lol:

also, I think its a cracking idea. nobody wnts to hear that shit all the time. My old man's mate tuned up a bunch of guys after they told him to fuck off when he asked them to stop swearing in front of his kids :lol:

deebakes
03-11-2017, 03:25 PM
"tuned up"? :?

Goofy
03-11-2017, 05:50 PM
"tuned up"? :?

Fisticuffs :thumbsup:

deebakes
03-11-2017, 08:19 PM
:gimme5: thanks holmes :tup:

The Monk
03-12-2017, 06:33 AM
I'm in favour..... I have no objection to swearing in private but there are times and places it is not appropriate. Public transport, shops, theatres, schools, in front of kids etc... is definitely NOT appropriate!

deebakes
03-12-2017, 03:04 PM
:+1:

but again, if it is 2 am, kids shouldn't be around there anyway :shrug:

Muddy
03-13-2017, 03:07 PM
I think its a great idea..